EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 12:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly, totally illogical. Remember all the crazy "I refuse to plug my car in when I park it, thats a terrible thing to have to do I could never imagine" and "I have a wonderful gas station that I love going to?"

The other car he rails against, the LS460 and LS500...its exactly the same as if he would have gone out and bought one of those lol
In his defense, I would have never imagined I would I own an EV, and now we have four parked in our yard . There was a time I thought EV owners were foolish tree huggers
Old 05-19-24, 12:41 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In his defense, I would have never imagined I would I own an EV, and now we have four parked in our yard . There was a time I thought EV owners were foolish tree huggers
For the record, I never said I wouldn't buy one. Quite the opposite. But just because I want something doesn't blind me to the negatives. The forum already has enough cheerleaders.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 12:50 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

And you do not need to leave it plugged in when not driving it lol. That’s absurd. Plug it in when you need to charge it, you’re making plugging and unplugging complicated.
Yeah, not sure where he got that info from. It goes against everything I've read on maintaining the battery for a long life expectancy.
Old 05-19-24, 01:08 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Makes zero sense why you would buy a Tesla lol

And you do not need to leave it plugged in when not driving it lol. That’s absurd. Plug it in when you need to charge it, you’re making plugging and unplugging complicated.
It's not absurd. Tesla literally states that in the manual. IN BOLD. And considering how expensive batteries are, it's probably best to do what they recommend. Also states that the is no advantage to waiting until the battery gets low to charge, and in fact, states the opposite, saying the battery performs best when charged regularly.

Old 05-19-24, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
It's not absurd. Tesla literally states that in the manual. IN BOLD. And considering how expensive batteries are, it's probably best to do what they recommend. Also states that the is no advantage to waiting until the battery gets low to charge, and in fact, states the opposite, saying the battery performs best when charged regularly.

It’s absurd. Do some research, it makes no sense if you understand battery technology that you would want it plugged in all the time. You should just drive it and then plug it in at night when you are home parked in the garage and let it charge while you sleep. Note when it says “when left for several weeks? They don’t mean when parked at your office for 5 hours lol.

Do you leave your phone plugged in all the time? No. In fact they tell you NOT to do that.

Your Model S is used. The previous owner didn’t leave it plugged in all the time.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-19-24 at 05:47 PM. Reason: No politics
Old 05-19-24, 01:14 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yeah, not sure where he got that info from. It goes against everything I've read on maintaining the battery for a long life expectancy.
Does your Model Y manual say this?

Old 05-19-24, 01:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

For the record, I never said I wouldn't buy one. Quite the opposite. But just because I want something doesn't blind me to the negatives. The forum already has enough cheerleaders.
Which is why I would never use your past comments against you or anyone else. Many of your concerns are legit, and I and others did our best to address them. I have to admit the "plugging and unplugging" back and forth amused me until it didn't

Batteries can be a concern for sure, an out of warranty battery replacement at this time can be costly. I personally don't lose sleep over it because by the time mine is up, all probably be on to my next car, or dead.

I take the bolded as a compliment
Old 05-19-24, 01:21 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

It’s absurd. Do some research, it makes no sense if you understand battery technology that you would want it plugged in all the time. You should just drive it and then plug it in at night when you are home parked in the garage and let it charge while you sleep. Note when it says “when left for several weeks? They don’t mean when parked at your office for 5 hours lol.

Do you leave your phone plugged in all the time? No. In fact they tell you NOT to do that.

Your Model S is used. The previous owner didn’t leave it plugged in all the time.
So you know better than what is in the Tesla manual because of your experience with your phone?

Ridiculous. The USERS MANUAL is very clear. It is best to have it on the charger when you aren't using it. And really important to do it if you aren't going to drive it for a few weeks.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-19-24 at 05:47 PM. Reason: No politics
Old 05-19-24, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can do what you want, but nothing in the research I have done leads me to believe that is necessary. None of the Tesla owners here feel that is necessary either. If you want to make it harder on yourself, go for it.
Old 05-19-24, 01:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Just to clarify this, it's because Tesla battery drain is about 1 or 2 percent a day due to background activity, and the concern is more for the low voltage battery, which can go bad faster if it loses charge. The good news is the LVB is cheap. They also don't want you to keep your High Voltage battery from getting below 20 percent for long periods, which is to protect the Low voltage battery
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 01:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Just to add to the above post, I plug in our Model Y about every 3 or 4 days, usually when it gets below 50 percent. Same with the Polestar and our Ioniq 5, which sometimes my wife lets get below 20 percent
Old 05-19-24, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Says the guy that claimed I would never buy a Tesla.
yeah, some people are too 'certain'.

Sorry. It was voted on. It was overwhelming approved. He fulfilled his obligation. For some judge to come in YEARS later, after the fact, and negate looks really bad.
100%. i wonder why they haven't appealed?

Originally Posted by swajames
so the only questions to ask are did you not really believe the things you were constantly posting and were just trolling, or you did but bought anyway and used at that, which seems contrary to your body of work on the forum. Because neither seem to add up.
I'm astonished you bought a Tesla. Makes no sense at all given everything you have said. You either were trolling with all of your protestations or you have done something that is just completely illogical.
you two should start a law firm since you're such good prosecutors, even with thin evidence.

This is why we have a judicial process for these things.
condescending and obvious. nice one.

CEOs of publicly traded companies can't stack their boards with people who will do only what they want.
you don't realize this happens MOST of the time? and there IS absolutely a political and ideological agenda here. the case being in delaware (president's home state) or certain other states, was guaranteed to be unfair and biased. sure i'm biased too (we all are), and i'd like to see it go to the supreme court, and then thrown out.

Plugging in is a pain. Tesla recommends leaving your car plugged it all the time when not in use. So now I have to plug and unplug every time I get in and out. And I can charge at work. But you aren't allowed to leave your car there all day plugged in, so I have to go move it. Which means I likely won't drive it there much. For me, charging is absolutely more of a pain and more planning than filling up with gas once every 2 weeks.
even if tesla recommends it, because obviously the car's software can then keep it optimally charged, it isn't NECESSARY. i don't know how long your trip to work is, but unless it's 100mi. maybe cut yourself some slack and plug it in at home every other day. you'll be absolutely fine.

plugging in at EVERY opportunity is what you do with a phev.

a car with its massive battery is way more complex and sophisticated in its charge management. and don't you use your wireless charger every time you're in your car? i don't, ha.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-19-24 at 05:48 PM. Reason: No politics
Old 05-19-24, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Because they know there is no point.

Clearly not obvious.

and you and swajames are making it personal, because you hate elon musk.
its not personal at all. This was illegal, do some research into it.

And I do not hate Elon Musk. I don’t hate anyone.

you don't realize this happens MOST of the time? and there IS absolutely a political and ideological agenda here. the case being in delaware (president's home state) or certain other states, was guaranteed to be unfair and biased. sure i'm biased too (we all are), and i'd like to see it go to the supreme court, and then thrown out.
How does the President being from DE have anything to do with this? This lawsuit was brought long before he was ever President.

Everything is not a conspiracy guys.

a car with its massive battery is way more complex and sophisticated in its charge management. and don't you use your wireless charger every time you're in your car? i don't, ha.
No I don’t. I plug my phone into my S560 because it’s not wireless CarPlay but I don’t leave the phone charging in the car otherwise.
Old 05-19-24, 02:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah, some people are too 'certain'.

you two should start a law firm since you're such good prosecutors, even with thin evidence.

and you and swajames are making it personal, because you hate elon musk.

even if tesla recommends it, because obviously the car's software can then keep it optimally charged, it isn't NECESSARY. i don't know how long your trip to work is, but unless it's 100mi. maybe cut yourself some slack and plug it in at home every other day. you'll be absolutely fine.

plugging in at EVERY opportunity is what you do with a phev.

Exactly, you really don't need to plug it in everyday, again Tesla recommends it more so you have enough charge for your daily drive, and mainly to protect the low voltage battery, especially if the car sits for longer periods. I've done a ton of research on this. Of course you can follow Tesla's recommendation, it definitely won't hurt your battery. If I multiple chargers, I would plug in all my cars every night
Old 05-19-24, 02:31 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Exactly, you really don't need to plug it in everyday, again Tesla recommends it more so you have enough charge for your daily drive, and mainly to protect the low voltage battery, especially if the car sits for longer periods. I've done a ton of research on this. Of course you can follow Tesla's recommendation, it definitely won't hurt your battery. If I multiple chargers, I would plug in all my cars every night
I've read this on other forums, but I've never seen Tesla state that is the main reason. Did you see this from Tesla?

And for the record, I never said it "needs" to be plugged in. I said it was recommended as "the most important way to preserve the high voltage battery". You know. That $20k battery.

Last edited by Bob04; 05-19-24 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread