EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 05:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Knock off the personal commentary (including rude comments about personal commentary) and politics or do not post.

about to boot some folks from this thread
Old 05-19-24, 06:17 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 257 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I didn't claim anything about you being absurd, you have your way of doing things, and I'm not questioning that. My knowledge of EV'S in general and Tesla in particular doesn't come from the Internet, but from being around Tesla owners since 2013. Also we don't just look at the pros without understanding the shortcomings, that would just be silly. Living in California of course makes EV ownership look more rosey, but that's a different discussion.

Saying that people lie about their ownership experience just has my head shaking. Everyone on this forum has shared both their positive and negative experiences, that includes charging, good and bad.

Anyway, if I was half as skeptical as you, I would maybe own one as a commuter, and the rest ICE. No way I would have spent $50k on a Model Y ($57 out the door). Just my 2 cents
I wasn't suggesting that any individual here was lying about their personal experience, but that there are a lot of half-truths and/or lies in the overwhelming amount of information out there in general when someone is trying to do the due diligence.

I apologize if it came across that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob04:
AMIRZA786 (05-19-24), Margate330 (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 06:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I wasn't suggesting that any individual here was lying about their personal experience, but that there are a lot of half-truths and/or lies in the overwhelming amount of information out there in general when someone is trying to do the due diligence.

I apologize if it came across that way.
No need for an apology. Now that you own an EV, you now have the ability to do your own due diligence and determine for yourself any shortcomings. And if you want to plug it in everyday, you hopefully have that ability. If I had 3 chargers, I would be plugging in daily myself, but there are 4 of us sharing one charger, although I do have a NEMA 14-50 if we are ever in a bind
Old 05-19-24, 07:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

...there are a lot of half-truths and/or lies in the overwhelming amount of information out there in general when someone is trying to do the due diligence...
Of course!

That's why I'm subscribed.

I 100% trust the collective knowledge of this forum and the EV owners here.

Good people. 🤓
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-19-24)
Old 05-19-24, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

respectfully to bob, not sure why we're discussing his tesla ownership experience in this tesla business and news thread.
FrankReynoldsCPA (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 02:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Not sure why it surprised anyone. I've been saying it since last year. For something like EVs that are being pushed, it's easy to know the positives. You are bombarded with them constantly. The negatives are usually harder to determine. It's not solely about skepticism. It's about wading through the lies and half-truth on both sides.

I give people credit for experience, but I'm not sure owning a Tesla and reading the internet gives someone the credibility to go against what Tesla recommends. And I'm almost sure that knowing how a charge a cell phone doesn't. lol

I'm doing exactly what Tesla states is THE MOST IMPORTANT way to preserve the very expensive battery. Not sure why that has everyone so butthurt and claiming I'm "absurd".
i think people are bombarded with negatives all the time.

I was at a party on Friday, and one smart engineer/wifescousin was telling me all these negative things about EVs in general, and Teslas as well. I was like - i have 3 years of experience and you never sat in EV? And you are telling me about charging, about cost, about mileage?

There is no doubt that there has been a huge informational campaign against BEVs, and it makes sense since car and oil industry is currently 3000x more powerful and richer than EV industry. Western companies profiting from BEV change are only Tesla and to smaller extent Rivian and Lucid. Thats it - and Chinese do not export a lot of vehicles yet.

So you have Tesla on one side, and then literally 100yrs+ established petroleum industry on the other. And Musk is too cheap to have PR team.

Figure it out.
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 02:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If anybody is interested in the real nuts and bolts of this case, this is a good overview:

https://www.gibsondunn.com/delaware-...ation-package/

Honestly, he got Tesla to what agreement was for. What you and other shareholders are talking about is that 2-3 years later it does not look as good as it did before.

But that time has passed?
Old 05-20-24, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Honestly, he got Tesla to what agreement was for. What you and other shareholders are talking about is that 2-3 years later it does not look as good as it did before.

But that time has passed?
Did you read what I posted? The issue is the agreement was made illegally by a board that breached its fiduciary duties to the company and its shareholders, and the goals outlined weren't as ambitious as it appeared from the outside. The BOD of a company has a duty to the shareholders and the company, they are supposed to negotiate with the CEO on behalf of the company, that didn't happen. They aligned with the CEO to convince the shareholders they should vote for this without an unbiased view. Thats illegal.

Again, this suit was brought in 2018...not "2-3 years later"
Old 05-20-24, 09:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Did you read what I posted? The issue is the agreement was made illegally by a board that breached its fiduciary duties to the company and its shareholders, and the goals outlined weren't as ambitious as it appeared from the outside. The BOD of a company has a duty to the shareholders and the company, they are supposed to negotiate with the CEO on behalf of the company, that didn't happen. They aligned with the CEO to convince the shareholders they should vote for this without an unbiased view. Thats illegal.

Again, this suit was brought in 2018...not "2-3 years later"
it might have been brought in 2018, but it was judged in 2023, after all of these objectives have been met. Saying today that it was not ambitious enough is very biased answer too. It was crazy ambitious at the time.

Also this idea where the board is adversarial to the CEO they support (or if they don't, they replace him) is just not real.
The following 2 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24), bitkahuna (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it might have been brought in 2018, but it was judged in 2023, after all of these objectives have been met. Saying today that it was not ambitious enough is very biased answer too. It was crazy ambitious at the time.

Also this idea where the board is adversarial to the CEO they support (or if they don't, they replace him) is just not real.
It takes that long for a lawsuit of that nature to be judged.

Again, the judge heard testimony and documentation that showed them that the goals were not as ambitious as it appeared to those outside the company, that information not being disclosed to shareholders is part of the issue.

And yes, the board is adversarial with the CEO when it comes to negotiating compensation. Thats how it works, its the board's responsibility to negotiate an agreement with the CEO that has the company and the shareholders' best interest at heart. If the CEO and the board know that the company will likely organically grow a huge amount, and the board members (who dont have the appropriate distance from Musk to begin with) work with the CEO to get him paid as much as possible and align their messaging to the shareholders to make those goals look way more aggressive than they are....that is a breach of the board's fiduciary duty to the shareholders and that agreement is invalid. Which is what the judge found.

I will listen to the Judge's opinion on what is and is not legal...as well as the securities attorneys I know...

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-20-24 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
FrankReynoldsCPA (05-20-24), swajames (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 11:12 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 762 Likes on 531 Posts

Courts also slowed to a crawl during COVID
Old 05-20-24, 11:51 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Courts also slowed to a crawl during COVID
So much this. My former coworker murdered another one of our coworkers in 2019 and has been in custody since that summer. Happened in Los Angeles and the courts really got delayed there by COVID.
Old 05-20-24, 01:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
So much this. My former coworker murdered another one of our coworkers in 2019 and has been in custody since that summer. Happened in Los Angeles and the courts really got delayed there by COVID.
dang. who knew accountants could be so violent.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24), SW17LS (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 01:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dang. who knew accountants could be so violent.
I bet it was a female co-worker who murdered another female co-worker over a guy they were both mistresses to. Tell me I'm wrong
Old 05-20-24, 03:10 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Just saw these...he tanked twitter and is now threatening to tank tesla too, just because he's going into a temper tantrum. No loyalty to the company or to the people who stuck by him (or to the people who work for him too).

Elon Musk confirms his threat: give me 25% of Tesla or you don’t get AI and robotics
https://electrek.co/2024/05/20/elon-...o-ai-robotics/

I slept in my car and showered in the factory to work 12-hour shifts at Tesla. I still got laid off after 5 years.
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...aid-off-2024-5

Can you say, unstable?

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread