EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 08:33 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Tesla has big exposure on that IMO. Customers who paid for FSD have a legitimate complaint, and if it ever went to discovery you can bet your bottom dollar that there is significant evidence that Tesla knew that what was promised, whether by Musk or whomever, could not at that time have been delivered within the then foreseeable future. The line between puffery and fraud is blurred, but this is likely beyond it. As best as I can tell Tesla doesn't recognize revenue on FSD subs upfront, it's deferred and drip fed in (as is common with with subscription revenue or with payment made for future delivery). So that increases risk as some of that deferred revenue will be factored in to the valuation and into investor sentiment.
I really wished they sold the FSD as a beta and only with a low monthly subscription.

Customers plopping down a stack of cash for something that may have been a little exaggerated or misleading or unfinished seems risky for Tesla. IMO
Old 05-24-24, 08:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I really wished they sold the FSD as a beta and only with a low monthly subscription.

Customers plopping down a stack of cash for something that may have been a little exaggerated or misleading or unfinished seems risky for Tesla. IMO
First of all, I've read it's about a 3 percent take rate purchasing FSD. Secondly, I think most people with a brain can read this and understand it's not Full self driving capable yet

The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-24-24)
Old 05-24-24, 08:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
A new color for the Model S!👍👍 Lunar silver

I wish they offered this color for the Model 3 😢
Old 05-24-24, 09:03 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
First of all, I've read it's about a 3 percent take rate purchasing FSD. Secondly, I think most people with a brain can read this and understand it's not Full self driving capable yet

Ok!

But us guys never read the manual so how are they supposed to know.

Trying to justify my position but failing miserably. Haha
Old 05-24-24, 09:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ok!

But us guys never read the manual so how are they supposed to know.

Trying to justify my position but failing miserably. Haha
This is not in the manual, it's directly on the configuration page on Tesla's website where you order the car

Old 05-24-24, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I think it’s totally unfair to say people are wrong for believing a feature called “full self driving” could fully drive the car.
Old 05-24-24, 09:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think it’s totally unfair to say people are wrong for believing a feature called “full self driving” could fully drive the car.
So I guess they don't need to read, like where it says clearly before you buy it that's its not fully capable yet.....
Old 05-24-24, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

do you believe half the claims made for products that of course have the 'fine print' saying they don't guarantee anything?

"guaranteed hair loss reversal" lol or "vegetable supplements" with all kinds of claims and testimonials of improved health. total b.s.

as i've stated many times, tesla should NOT have called it 'full self driving" (FSD) but if they had not had any disclaimers, they'd be in serious hot water, but since they do, they likely won't suffer from lawsuits, especially since people who bought it knew it wasn't 'finished'. the bigger problem probably is musk's claims that fsd would let people wh0re out their cars as part of a robotaxi fleet to make money. THAT hasn't happened, and likely won't for many years, if ever.
Old 05-24-24, 09:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do you believe half the claims made for products that of course have the 'fine print' saying they don't guarantee anything?

"guaranteed hair loss reversal" lol or "vegetable supplements" with all kinds of claims and testimonials of improved health. total b.s.

as i've stated many times, tesla should NOT have called it 'full self driving" (FSD) but if they had not had any disclaimers, they'd be in serious hot water, but since they do, they likely won't suffer from lawsuits, especially since people who bought it knew it wasn't 'finished'. the bigger problem probably is musk's claims that fsd would let people wh0re out their cars as part of a robotaxi fleet to make money. THAT hasn't happened, and likely won't for many years, if ever.
I think the anti Elon camp is just as bad as the Pro Elon camp when it comes to fanaticism
Old 05-24-24, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Guys, there is just no argument here. If the product is called “full self driving” it’s completely reasonable to expect the car can fully self drive. “People shouldn’t have trusted the name of the product was accurate” is an incredibly weak defense.
Old 05-24-24, 09:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Guys, there is just no argument here. If the product is called “full self driving” it’s completely reasonable to expect the car can fully self drive. “People shouldn’t have trusted the name of the product was accurate” is an incredibly weak defense.
For someone who bought FSD back in 2017 and he believed through statements that it would be ready in a "reasonably short period", those people have an argument and should be pissed. But for someone who orders it today, you can read clearly that's it not certified yet to make your vehicle autonomous. And I agree, it should not be called "Full Self Driving"
Old 05-24-24, 09:37 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

Some of you are forgetting that FSD has been offered for years, that there wasn't always caveat emptor disclaimer language (which is likely null and void if there is indeed a valid fraud argument here) and that some owners that bought FSD back in the day likely will never get it. "All cars currently sold" is not all cars ever sold.

Tesla is exposed here.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (05-24-24)
Old 05-24-24, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Full. Self. Driving. Very clear.
Old 05-24-24, 09:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Some of you are forgetting that FSD has been offered for years, that there wasn't always caveat emptor disclaimer language (which is likely null and void if there is indeed a valid fraud argument here) and that some owners that bought FSD back in the day likely will never get it. "All cars currently sold" is not all cars ever sold.

Tesla is exposed here.
See my above post
Old 05-24-24, 09:57 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As far as I know, all Tesla's currently sold are FSD capable. Cyber Truck doesn't have FSD enabled yet, but will have capabilities enabled when ready.

Talking to someone who follows Tesla much more closely than me, he says FSD and Robotics are more important to Elon than even raw vehicle sales. If that's true, every single Tesla sold will have the capabilities

Now are you asking will it fully work one day? I don't have the answer to that question. Probably if it doesn't fully work, then you will see lawsuits

EDIT:

I re-read your question, and I am assuming you mean Tesla's going back to 2014? I don't know, but if not and they bought FSD, then I can see lawsuits in the horizon
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant from when Musk said all cars being sold will be FSD capable (not sure if that's 2014 or 2016), when / if they do get FSD complete, do you think all Teslas sold since that statement will be able to run the completed FSD?

The answer will be much clearer in a couple months. I think the robo taxi debut in August will have additional cameras that current Teslas don't have which is necessary for the completed FSD. Just a guess though. If so it could be a massive lawsuit.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread