EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-24, 07:28 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I wonder if Tesla will ever do anything that directly promotes the fact that you hardly ever/never have to go to the dealership with an EV. Been reading in Car Chat about dealer experiences for service and it got me thinking of how nice it is to never worry about that.
- Buy the car on your phone or computer. No haggling back and forth. No bait and switch of what was advertised.
- No oil changes or routine services (time is valuable)
- No worrying about if you're getting hosed by a dealer or mechanic for suggesting services you don't need
- Brakes can last approx 100k miles as they're almost never used
- A car that gets better over time with software updates

There are lots of other things. I doubt that most consumers are aware of what it's like to actually own an EV and rarely/never have to go to a dealer again. To me this would be a big selling point.
Ive been to the dealer with my Tesla more than any other car I have ever owned. I have another trip back to the service center in two weeks for an annoying squeak on the big center screen that I didn’t feel like taking care of because I didn’t want to go back to the service center and spend another 5 hours there but it’s now or never. Hopefully they honor the warranty because I scheduled it before my 50k warranty was up but they pushed the service date out and now I’m over 50k miles.
Old 06-03-24, 07:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

Tesla service isn't great, but it's not that bad compared to existing OEMs. More service centers have been built out and the lack of parts has become less and less of an issue.
Old 06-03-24, 07:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by patgilm
Ive been to the dealer with my Tesla more than any other car I have ever owned. I have another trip back to the service center in two weeks for an annoying squeak on the big center screen that I didn’t feel like taking care of because I didn’t want to go back to the service center and spend another 5 hours there but it’s now or never. Hopefully they honor the warranty because I scheduled it before my 50k warranty was up but they pushed the service date out and now I’m over 50k miles.
Ah that sucks. My main complaint with Tesla service is more around the lack of loaners for longer repairs. When the MCU died in my 3P, they offered me Uber credit which would be great if I didn't live in the boondocks where no Uber drivers want to go. Luckily we had the Ody that I could drive once I got home, but it was PITA to get there and back
Old 06-03-24, 07:35 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Ah that sucks. My main complaint with Tesla service is more around the lack of loaners for longer repairs. When the MCU died in my 3P, they offered me Uber credit which would be great if I didn't live in the boondocks where no Uber drivers want to go. Luckily we had the Ody that I could drive once I got home, but it was PITA to get there and back
Same where I am, it’s hit or miss with loaners even though they know the repair will take a long time. They usually don’t give me a loaner and the Uber credits they tried to give me once wouldn’t cover the cost back and forth so I just waited. This issue with parts isn’t that great either because I have had to go back for a second visit a few times when parts weren’t in and it took a couple weeks to get them. I remember when my Lexus dealer didn’t have a part they would get it overnighted to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Allen K (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 07:38 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

The difference between having a cache of spares in a warehouse vs. nothing in the pipeline is stark with Tesla vs. the other OEMs. I thought the issue had gotten better, but it looks like it definitely hasn't in all cases considering what you're going through. The one advantage that Tesla has over Rivian for me is they've got 2 centers in NJ within 30-60 minutes of me while Rivian is still forcing me to drive to Brooklyn which...is a horrible drive to say the least
Old 06-03-24, 07:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Issue is lots of people have really bad experiences when their Teslas DO need repair. Terrible waits...etc
Yeah, and I thought of patgilm when I posted this (and then saw his reply) as I know he's had issues. The overlying theme of what they could market is accurate though. I believe somewhere around 85% of all service issues with Tesla are addressed via software updates or mobile service.

Any other company could/should promote this as a way to educate the masses on EV ownership. It doesn't have to be Tesla (although Tesla is unique in the way you buy the car from what I know).
Old 06-03-24, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Tesla service isn't great, but it's not that bad compared to existing OEMs. More service centers have been built out and the lack of parts has become less and less of an issue.
Like anything else I think this depends on your local service centers. Here I know several people that won't buy another Tesla simply because of the repair issues, so I don't think you can say universally its better than existing OEMs. Mercedes is the first brand I have owned where I felt the service process was slow and painful...
Old 06-03-24, 08:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Personally I've had very good experiences with Tesla service centers. I had a seat belt rattle, made an appointment in the app, drove in and they took my car right away, gave me a loaner. They added the loaner to my app, I just drove off. They kept me up to date on the repair, and when it was done, I drove there after hours, left the loaner and got in my car and drove off. The moment I dropped off the loaner, they removed it from my app.

Second time was tire rotation, the tech came to my work. The only issue I had was he didn't want to touch my aftermarket aero covers, I had to convince him that I wouldn't hold him liable if they break, once I got through that, he did an inspection of the tires, rotated them and was off.

The reasons a Tesla is my next car:

Superior software and tech over other automakers
Vast Supercharger network spanning all of California and the Western States
Service centers everywhere in California and Western States (I have 3 within 8 miles of me)
Old 06-03-24, 02:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

when tesla mobile service shows up, are they driving a tesla?
Old 06-03-24, 02:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Always in my experience.
Old 06-03-24, 02:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Yep, the tech showed up in a Model Y
Old 06-03-24, 04:25 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

I've had a mobile tech show up in a model S once and in a Ford transit connect another time. Rivian tech showed up in a MB van
Old 06-03-24, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen Ford Transit Connect Tesla service vans running around.
Old 06-03-24, 08:31 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Every single time (4 times I think in the 5 years I've had the car)
Old 06-03-24, 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (06-03-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread