EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-23, 07:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Maybe that’s how we got the yoke, cut half the steering wheel off and maybe you save $5 there too LOL.
LoL you are probably not far from the truth! I think that was more a "cool factor" thing more than cost cutting, but I could be wrong
Old 09-05-23, 10:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Based on recent price drop of the S, I went and looked at them this weekend with the fam. My wife and I are considering replacing our LX with a different SUV, but now this price drop has me thinking of keeping the LX and upgrading the Y to the S... I had a few thoughts comparing to my MYP.
- Seats: feel more luxurious, love that they're ventilated
- Rear passenger screen - small screen in the back which would allow my kids to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. Nice touch actually. Also allows for rear climate control
- Range is 400 miles, up about 100 miles from my MYP
- Door "thud" more substantial, feels like a more substantial car overall. Feels a bit wider than the MYP (shoulder room)
- I've gotten very used to the entry height of the Y. The S isn't a low car necessarily, just lower than the Y. I love how easy it is to get in and out of the Y.

I entered in my VIN on Tesla's trade-in website and did not like the number I saw pop up... but then I noticed they're trying to get me to take my FSD license with me over to the Model S... which I don't want to do. I want the FSD to stay with my car if I sell it, and if I buy an S, I'm getting it stock and not adding AP or FSD. If about 75% of the FSD retail price were to get applied to my trade value, I'd be about where I expected on a trade. My year, model, and mileage is currently selling for about $51-$52k on Tesla's pre owned site. I was expecting to see trade value of around $45kish and it came in at $36k without FSD license factored in.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-05-23)
Old 09-05-23, 09:16 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Based on recent price drop of the S, I went and looked at them this weekend with the fam. My wife and I are considering replacing our LX with a different SUV, but now this price drop has me thinking of keeping the LX and upgrading the Y to the S... I had a few thoughts comparing to my MYP.
- Seats: feel more luxurious, love that they're ventilated
- Rear passenger screen - small screen in the back which would allow my kids to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. Nice touch actually. Also allows for rear climate control
- Range is 400 miles, up about 100 miles from my MYP
- Door "thud" more substantial, feels like a more substantial car overall. Feels a bit wider than the MYP (shoulder room)
- I've gotten very used to the entry height of the Y. The S isn't a low car necessarily, just lower than the Y. I love how easy it is to get in and out of the Y.

I entered in my VIN on Tesla's trade-in website and did not like the number I saw pop up... but then I noticed they're trying to get me to take my FSD license with me over to the Model S... which I don't want to do. I want the FSD to stay with my car if I sell it, and if I buy an S, I'm getting it stock and not adding AP or FSD. If about 75% of the FSD retail price were to get applied to my trade value, I'd be about where I expected on a trade. My year, model, and mileage is currently selling for about $51-$52k on Tesla's pre owned site. I was expecting to see trade value of around $45kish and it came in at $36k without FSD license factored in.
What year/mileage is your MYP? $36k seems low....damn
Old 09-05-23, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

trade in values are trash on tesla recently due to all the price drops.
Old 09-05-23, 11:11 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
trade in values are trash on tesla recently due to all the price drops.
Maybe so, some Teslas owners may take a hit.

I won't call their trade in values trash tho.

Old 09-06-23, 03:48 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grabber2
What year/mileage is your MYP? $36k seems low....damn
2021 with 31k miles. MSRP for my car if you ordered it today would be $66,490 ($12k of that is FSD). $36k trade is them not including my FSD into the trade. So if Tesla factors FSD into my trade and bumps it up to say $46k, that would be about $20k depreciation in what's about to be a 3 year old car.

I bought my car used in Dec 2022 for $52k plus fees; had 22k miles on it. Mercedes dealer didn't know it had FSD. It really should have been priced at around $60k at which point my trade value would be much harder to stomach.
Old 09-06-23, 05:54 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Maybe so, some Teslas owners may take a hit.

I won't call their trade in values trash tho.
it is though. Dealers are low balling Tesla owners on trade in as well because they are adding in the factor that Tesla might lower their prices the next day. So tesla is offering crappy trade in offers as well as dealers. Only option to get more money is to sell privately.
Old 09-06-23, 07:00 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blaze876
it is though. Dealers are low balling Tesla owners on trade in as well because they are adding in the factor that Tesla might lower their prices the next day. So tesla is offering crappy trade in offers as well as dealers. Only option to get more money is to sell privately.
I think watching the Tesla site for used inventory pricing is the only indicator of what's on the horizon for Tesla pricing of new models.
Old 09-06-23, 12:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

2021 with 31k miles. MSRP for my car if you ordered it today would be $66,490 ($12k of that is FSD). $36k trade is them not including my FSD into the trade. So if Tesla factors FSD into my trade and bumps it up to say $46k, that would be about $20k depreciation in what's about to be a 3 year old car.

I bought my car used in Dec 2022 for $52k plus fees; had 22k miles on it. Mercedes dealer didn't know it had FSD. It really should have been priced at around $60k at which point my trade value would be much harder to stomach.
so i'm not surprised tesla offers no 'value' to fsd on a trade-in. it's literally just a 'bit' in the configuration. why give you money for it when they can make money by selling the package or subscription to the new owner?
so you've only driven it 9k miles in less than a year, and they're saying your 52K purchase price car is worth 36k. yes, that's pretty bad. but it seems hardly surprising given all the price drops by tesla?

also, i didn't think fsd was transferrable when a car was resold to someone else, but i guess that's the way it is? and also now you can transfer it to a different tesla, which presumably 'removes' it from the trade-in?
Old 09-06-23, 01:10 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i'm not surprised tesla offers no 'value' to fsd on a trade-in. it's literally just a 'bit' in the configuration. why give you money for it when they can make money by selling the package or subscription to the new owner?
so you've only driven it 9k miles in less than a year, and they're saying your 52K purchase price car is worth 36k. yes, that's pretty bad. but it seems hardly surprising given all the price drops by tesla?

also, i didn't think fsd was transferrable when a car was resold to someone else, but i guess that's the way it is? and also now you can transfer it to a different tesla, which presumably 'removes' it from the trade-in?
Because you don't understand how this works. I bought my Tesla used and FSD transfers with the car, not the driver. Tesla appears to be running a promotion where they are trying to incentivize me to get into an S by letting me take my FSD with me if I commit by the end of Sept. I don't want to do that, so when they call me to talk about my interest in the S I'll be telling them I'm interested in my FSD staying with my car and upping the value of my trade.
Old 09-06-23, 01:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Because you don't understand how this works.
gee thanks, don't sugar coat it.

i did say i guess the fsd has gone with the car in the past, but they now offer the option to transfer to another car.

why don't you want to transfer it? you don't want fsd any more? or don't think it's worth what you paid for it?
Old 09-06-23, 01:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

i did say i guess the fsd has gone with the car in the past, but they now offer the option to transfer to another car.

why don't you want to transfer it? you don't want fsd any more? or don't think it's worth what you paid for it?
Personally I think FSD is a valuable piece of software, but not $15k valuable. If I was in his place, I would want the $15k going towards my trade up as well and not transferring to the new car, especially since he didn't pay for it (call it a bonus)
Old 09-06-23, 03:29 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Sorry, text doesn't indicate intended tone. I don't want to transfer it because I realize for me I have used it roughly 5 or 6 times in almost 9 months of ownership. Probably 3 or 4 of those times were to show other people how it worked. So it carries no utility for me, therefore no value to me personally. Therefore I'd rather have it reflect in the value of the car whenever I get rid of it.
Old 09-06-23, 03:49 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Tesla doesn’t want used Teslas so their offers are usually less than other dealers and private sales. I do think that the price cuts will spook used car dealers from giving a good trade in/purchase price because there is a real risk to them if Tesla does a price cut. I think the Y and 3 price cuts are generally not too bad compared to the S and X.

Just for kicks I put in a trade in offer to see what they would offer me for my 22 Plaid with 32k miles and it came back with an offer of $55k. Looks like jrmckinley’s offer of $36k isn’t so bad after all.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-06-23)
Old 09-06-23, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, text doesn't indicate intended tone. I don't want to transfer it because I realize for me I have used it roughly 5 or 6 times in almost 9 months of ownership. Probably 3 or 4 of those times were to show other people how it worked. So it carries no utility for me, therefore no value to me personally. Therefore I'd rather have it reflect in the value of the car whenever I get rid of it.
thanks. maybe sell privately to a 'keen' tesla fan who wants fsd?

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread