EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-24, 05:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can't follow (or don't have time to thoroughly digest) all these recent posts, but the graph swajames posted does seem to show that q1 '24 was worse in terms of # of deliveries than q1 '23, which hasn't been true for any yoy period before. that's not good. negative growth means alarm bells for a stock so highly priced already. or am i missing something?
The stock already took the appropriate hit for those Q1 numbers. That chart was shared (not by me) to show how "TSLA always has a better Q2 than Q1" (apparently all auto companies stair step in sales from Q1 to Q2 to Q3 to Q4), but that chart showing 8 full years (32 quarters) of data doesn't show that once for Tesla. It appears this Q2 would be the only time out of 34 quarters of data that has ever happened.

The debate, which I am politely exiting, is about AJ on X posting QoQ numbers instead of YoY numbers because "that's how we always compare auto companies" and apparently he is a "stock shill" and not an analyst. Never mind the fact that the chart that was shared clearly proves that TSLA has never once performed like any other auto company in stair-stepping of quarters for an entire year. So it makes no sense to me to keep trying to compare them to all other auto companies. #Moneyball

I digress. And no you didn't miss anything..!
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (07-25-24)
Old 07-25-24, 05:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
https://x.com/alojoh/status/1775149766667853947

Calling someone argument nonsense because they expected much lower unit sales. There was another tweet I am not able to find where he said a similar thing when someone else said people will be negatively surprised when Tesla releases Q1 sales and he again called that nonsense and stuck to his 422k estimate.
https://x.com/alojoh/status/1772202004959379941

Here he is saying you should not compare QoQ (q4 2023 to Q1 2024)...but now since it's convenient he is comparing Q1 2024 and Q2 2024 lmao. Clearly a shill and will spin any negative news into a positive or an excuse.
https://x.com/alojoh/status/1771280307284488473
Thanks for sharing. I have no issue with him sticking to his guns and explaining his rationale for his PREDICTIONS of where TSLA will land in a given quarter. I can't see the full post in the last shot you sent where it looks like he will go on to explain why he wants to compare Q1 24 to Q1 23. Maybe he moved the goal posts there; I would admit that if I could see it. But I can't read the full post so can't fully comment.

But you have your opinion on him from reading a few posts, and I have mine from following him for almost 18 months and reading coverage of every auto manufacturer. I also follow Ross Gerber, Gary Black, and Cathie Wood for their counter points on TSLA stock in particular. GordonJohnson19 on X might be an "analyst" of interest to you. He has been calling for a $20 price target on TSLA for about 8 years now. He's like the meteorologist in San Diego who tells you every day for 8 years it's going to snow tomorrow, but still gets air time. Perhaps he will point out all of the things you are interested in.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (07-25-24)
Old 07-25-24, 06:26 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Thanks for sharing. I have no issue with him sticking to his guns and explaining his rationale for his PREDICTIONS of where TSLA will land in a given quarter. I can't see the full post in the last shot you sent where it looks like he will go on to explain why he wants to compare Q1 24 to Q1 23. Maybe he moved the goal posts there; I would admit that if I could see it. But I can't read the full post so can't fully comment.

But you have your opinion on him from reading a few posts, and I have mine from following him for almost 18 months and reading coverage of every auto manufacturer. I also follow Ross Gerber, Gary Black, and Cathie Wood for their counter points on TSLA stock in particular. GordonJohnson19 on X might be an "analyst" of interest to you. He has been calling for a $20 price target on TSLA for about 8 years now. He's like the meteorologist in San Diego who tells you every day for 8 years it's going to snow tomorrow, but still gets air time. Perhaps he will point out all of the things you are interested in.
Him calling others predictions "nonsense" when their prediction ended up being much closer makes him look silly imo. Makes it seem like his prediction is right and any other people opinion is inferior. Here is the full post:
"US is likely around 108K to 110K vs prior year 103K. This is Jan + Feb. There is some concern that new M3 supply might not be enough to satisfy all demand but this is a very short term way of thinking.
You have to compare against Q1'23. This has become increasingly important as Tesla became a large automaker. Previously, qoq was fine but you should move away from this now since auto has significant seasonality at larger scale.".

So we should move away from QoQ in April but in July we should move back to QoQ because its convenient for him.

I don't really use X and only go to Troy twitter page for his predictions before the end of every quarter. He remains imo fairly unbiased. He praises Tesla when they are doing good and call them out when the numbers look bad. Troy prediction for Q1 was 409k. When the numbers came out he didn't make excuses and claims that it isn't a demand problem (like Alojoh). When he says anything bad he gets chastised. X is almost down to an echo chamber of Tesla fans....which makes sense since its owned by Musk lol.

Last edited by Blaze876; 07-25-24 at 06:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blaze876:
Mike728 (07-25-24), swajames (07-25-24)
Old 07-25-24, 06:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

One thing to consider is that Tesla is (relatively) unique in that they can adjust their pricing nationwide at any given time. If Q2 numbers are low heading into the last month, they can offer incentives to boost those numbers and because they're direct, you know up front what you're paying.

Traditional dealers can offer incentives as well, but you still have to deal with the dealerships and the games they like to play. Plus consumers have been conditioned to wait for the larger events (e..g Toyotathon) to purchase
Old 07-25-24, 07:32 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
One thing to consider is that Tesla is (relatively) unique in that they can adjust their pricing nationwide at any given time. If Q2 numbers are low heading into the last month, they can offer incentives to boost those numbers and because they're direct, you know up front what you're paying.

Traditional dealers can offer incentives as well, but you still have to deal with the dealerships and the games they like to play. Plus consumers have been conditioned to wait for the larger events (e..g Toyotathon) to purchase
Yep, we have already seen it being done. Stating prices will increase by 1,000 in April or offering 0% apr. It should work better than dealer incentives just because of Tesla marketing power.