EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-24, 01:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
48 volt may be an update they should try to move to, but also they need to update the styling just a little bit. They have done some updates to the rear, but from the front I can't really tell between an early X and 2024 unless I see the headlights or the tires.
I hear you, Tesla needs to do the "all new" thing like legacy auto which really means styling tweaks.
There has been a lot of technical changes over the years:

https://tesla-info.com/model-history/MX
That is a tiny list compared to what they've actually done. Not sure why they even have this list maybe they are required? Also did you read that list? They are brutally honest lol for example
Tesla rename Autopilot HW4, AI4. Same thing, trendier name.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (08-11-24)
Old 08-13-24, 02:24 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the new model 3 is vastly better than the old one, especially in ride quality and being quieter. the interior is a lot nicer too.
Is material quality on the new M3 better than the Y? If so, that may apply to the Y refresh.
Old 08-13-24, 06:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

why not liking the light bar in the front? i think they look great if done right and not too big (thick).
Carryover dislike from the way the CT looks
Old 08-13-24, 08:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Is material quality on the new M3 better than the Y? If so, that may apply to the Y refresh.
2024 M3 has better material quality, sound proofing, lighting, seats and suspension over my Y long range. I've test driven both the Model 3 LR and performance. Performance is even a step higher with better seats, variable suspension and carbon Fiber trim
Old 08-13-24, 11:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
i wouldn't say the material quality is 'better', just nicer more interesting designs and it has ambient lighting which looks very nice. it seems very obvious that they will carry most if not all of this into the Y refresh.
Old 08-13-24, 11:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

i wouldn't say the material quality is 'better', just nicer more interesting designs and it has ambient lighting which looks very nice. it seems very obvious that they will carry most if not all of this into the Y refresh.
The new Model 3 seats also don't make that squeak sound my MY's make. Yes materials are probably the same, just better manufactured
Old 08-13-24, 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,483 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The new Model 3 seats also don't make that squeak sound my MY's make. Yes materials are probably the same, just better manufactured
as you know, the new model 3 seats are really comfortable too!
AMIRZA786 (08-13-24)
Old 08-13-24, 03:40 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Quicksilver. Anybody wanna buy my M3P? Low ball offers accepted. This thing is gorgeous. Thank you Germany for teaching the granola-heads in Fremont how to paint.
The following 3 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
Allen K (08-13-24), AMIRZA786 (08-13-24), Hameed (08-13-24)
Old 08-13-24, 04:08 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

Really is a beautiful color
JeffKeryk (08-13-24)
Old 08-14-24, 06:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 394 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Really is a beautiful color
I saw several MY's in that color while in France in early July. It looks awesome. I can only hope that when the new Y refresh comes out they keep that color. If so, I will have a hard time saying no.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
Allen K (08-16-24), AMIRZA786 (08-14-24)
Old 08-16-24, 06:50 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

My father-in-law, who is in his early 70's, has decided he's going to buy a Tesla. His prior vehicles since I've known him were an LS430, LS460, and he now owns a beautiful 2023 Audi A8L... a car he absolutely hates. When he decided he wanted to ditch the Audi, he went back and looked at the LS500, but after spending a couple of days with us and riding around in our MYP, he decided he wanted a Tesla. Not for the typical reasons that we talk about here (performance, gas savings, etc). It's because he finds his Audi, the LS500, and other cars like the MB S580 and Genesis G90 too complicated to use with their interfaces. He absolutely loves the Tesla interface and "got it" in terms of how to navigate through various features in about 20 minutes. No sub menus, etc. No crazy amount of buttons, switches, etc. Just a big screen that is intuitively laid out. He loves it for that reason alone. He also likes the idea of never needing gas, even though he only drives about 2,500 miles/year (LOL).

He likes the ride height of the Y but I'm encouraging him to compare it to the S as I think the S is a more luxurious car overall and will ride more like he is hoping for given what he's coming from.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (08-16-24), Hameed (08-16-24)
Old 08-16-24, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
My father-in-law, who is in his early 70's, has decided he's going to buy a Tesla. His prior vehicles since I've known him were an LS430, LS460, and he now owns a beautiful 2023 Audi A8L... a car he absolutely hates. When he decided he wanted to ditch the Audi, he went back and looked at the LS500, but after spending a couple of days with us and riding around in our MYP, he decided he wanted a Tesla. Not for the typical reasons that we talk about here (performance, gas savings, etc). It's because he finds his Audi, the LS500, and other cars like the MB S580 and Genesis G90 too complicated to use with their interfaces. He absolutely loves the Tesla interface and "got it" in terms of how to navigate through various features in about 20 minutes. No sub menus, etc. No crazy amount of buttons, switches, etc. Just a big screen that is intuitively laid out. He loves it for that reason alone. He also likes the idea of never needing gas, even though he only drives about 2,500 miles/year (LOL).

He likes the ride height of the Y but I'm encouraging him to compare it to the S as I think the S is a more luxurious car overall and will ride more like he is hoping for given what he's coming from.
Very interesting perspective!👍

I guess your father in law is definitely not one of those folks that contributed to the survey that some folks mentioned about how screens in a car are not as intuitive as buttons ad infinitum. 😁
AMIRZA786 (08-16-24)
Old 08-16-24, 06:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

In the price range he is used to I would recommend a Model S or X as well. The S isn't the easiest car to get into if he is older so the X may be a little better in this department.
Old 08-16-24, 07:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
In the price range he is used to I would recommend a Model S or X as well. The S isn't the easiest car to get into if he is older so the X may be a little better in this department.
Do you think the S sits lower than an A8, LS500, S580, etc? There is something about the windshield of the X that I think is going to bother him. That glass goes higher up than in any other car and it messes with me and things like that really never bother me. My neighbor has an X and I rode in it with him a few months ago and it just felt weird. I might go look at the X at my local showroom and see it again and direct him to maybe consider it.
Old 08-16-24, 07:28 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Do you think the S sits lower than an A8, LS500, S580, etc? There is something about the windshield of the X that I think is going to bother him. That glass goes higher up than in any other car and it messes with me and things like that really never bother me. My neighbor has an X and I rode in it with him a few months ago and it just felt weird. I might go look at the X at my local showroom and see it again and direct him to maybe consider it.
It does feel weird at first but you start to like it after that initial strange "open" feeling. I had an X for an overnight test drive and I really liked the airy, open feeling. The only time its an issue is if the sun is in a position where its directly overhead the glass, then it can be annoying. But that also occurs even with a regular sunroof.
jrmckinley (08-16-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread