EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-24, 11:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Tesla sales growth story is over at least for now.
Old 10-02-24, 11:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla sales growth story is over at least for now.
Tesla is able to move and react at the speed of light. Need to push inventory? Drop the interest rate. Now it back to 5.29 percent
Old 10-02-24, 12:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla is able to move and react at the speed of light. Need to push inventory? Drop the interest rate. Now it back to 5.29 percent
20 million cars by 2030 is the goal that's not happening. Sales are stagnant so what's next the $25,000 car? If 10/10 doesn't live up to the hype Tesla stock is going to get hammered.
Old 10-02-24, 12:05 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 732 Likes on 460 Posts

I don't think the growth era is necessarily over. On the one hand, Tesla is massively dominant still and has a tremendous future upside potential from its massive install base. Services and subscriptions may well power future growth. That's before we get to what might come on 10/10. On the other, it would take little more than Musk to stop the politically divisive stuff to see at least some potential customers come back into play. He's absolutely harming sales because he's actively alienating people. CA sales softness, in large part, is probably attributable to that IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (10-02-24)
Old 10-02-24, 12:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
He's absolutely harming sales because he's actively alienating people. CA sales softness, in large part, is probably attributable to that IMO.
BMW's EV sales are down 13% QoQ what divisive rhetoric has Oliver been posting.
Old 10-02-24, 12:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I don't think the growth era is necessarily over. On the one hand, Tesla is massively dominant still and has a tremendous future upside potential from its massive install base. Services and subscriptions may well power future growth. That's before we get to what might come on 10/10. On the other, it would take little more than Musk to stop the politically divisive stuff to see at least some potential customers come back into play. He's absolutely harming sales because he's actively alienating people. CA sales softness, in large part, is probably attributable to that IMO.
I personally think most people don't pay attention to Elon noise. There are 5 new Tesla's that were bought by co-workers that are on the other side of the political spectrum. The 1.99 financing is probably more attractive than what he writes on X. Sure there are people who absolutely won't buy a Tesla because of Elon, but there are also people who absolutely won't by a Tesla because it's an EV

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 10-02-24 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-02-24, 12:52 PM
swajames
Pole Position

...there are also people who absolutely won't by a Tesla because it's an EV...
Tesla can't do anything about those people.

...there are people who absolutely won't buy a Tesla because of Elon...
Tesla can do something about these people.
Old 10-02-24, 01:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla can't do anything about those people.

Tesla can do something about these people.
My preference is he stays out of political conversations, but that's not a decision I have any say in. Saying that, I don't think he's hurting sales in any significant way, especially with their great numbers. Market share loss can be chalked up to competition of better EV's coming on the market, but I don't have any data to back this up, so it's just an opinion
swajames (10-02-24)
Old 10-02-24, 01:02 PM
swajames
Pole Position

My preference is he stays out of political conversations, but that's not a decision I have any say in. Saying that, I don't think he's hurting sales in any significant way, especially with their great numbers. Market share loss can be chalked up to competition of better EV's coming on the market, but I don't have any data to back this up, so it's just an opinion
It'a all opinion. With that said, probably their biggest decline seems to be in California, and the Musk effect is never going to be stronger than it is here.
AMIRZA786 (Today)
Old 10-02-24, 01:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It'a all opinion. With that said, probably their biggest decline seems to be in California, and the Musk effect is never going to be stronger than it is here.
Can't do much about this, the Musk effect isn't going anywhere. If I start seeing quarterly sales start hitting a cliff, then Musk and Tesla will have to re-evaluate
Old 10-02-24, 01:18 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Can't do much about this, the Musk effect isn't going anywhere. If I start seeing quarterly sales start hitting a cliff, then Musk and Tesla will have to re-evaluate
Remember, I'm talking California. If sales here had maintained at their prior levels, deliveries etc would be up. Californians are still buying cars. Just fewer Teslas.
Old 10-02-24, 06:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

If we are taking about how can Tesla sell more cars, then obviously it is all about new models.

If Toyota had Camry, Rav4, Land Cruiser and Crown, it would sell about the same amount of vehicles as Tesla, world-wide - around 2m per year.

They need to add 10-15 new models to sell 10m per year.

However, is that what stock needs? Tesla trades at these levels because it is not a car company, and that focus on next big thing is hurting their car sales.
​​​
AMIRZA786 (10-02-24)
Old 10-02-24, 07:09 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Elon can be obnoxious on social media but I doubt his presence or lack of it will hurt Tesla's success unless he does something that actually screws over new owners. A good product will sell regardless of the owners' public image, just ask Chick-Fil-A.

All the talk in previous threads about Tesla being luxurious or not is rather ironic because the new Model S and Model 3 interiors are like Bentleys compared to the horrible plastic crap masquerading as an interior in the latest BMW and Audi models like the new X3 and A6 E-Tron. The rear all-hard-plastic doors of the Q4 E-Tron alone belong on a economy crapbox.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorola:
AMIRZA786 (10-02-24), Hameed (10-02-24)
Old 10-02-24, 07:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
Elon can be obnoxious on social media but I doubt his presence or lack of it will hurt Tesla's success unless he does something that actually screws over new owners. A good product will sell regardless of the owners' public image, just ask Chick-Fil-A.

All the talk in previous threads about Tesla being luxurious or not is rather ironic because the new Model S and Model 3 interiors are like Bentleys compared to the horrible plastic crap masquerading as an interior in the latest BMW and Audi models like the new X3 and A6 E-Tron. The rear all-hard-plastic doors of the Q4 E-Tron alone belong on a economy crapbox.
I agree. Sales were up this quarter, I personally don't think most Model 3 and Y buyers even read what Elon posts. I certainly don't know what he posts unless someone forwards it to me. As long as prices are good and they give buyer's incentives like low finance rates, Tesla's will continue to move
Old 10-02-24, 08:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

i think your point in bold is way overblown, attributable to the fact that you don't like musk's views.

whether you hate his posts on x or not, he believes he's genuinely trying to save/enable free speech because of what he sees as horrendously biased and censoring 'mainstream media' which is patently obvious (endless examples every day).

but putting all that aside, he does a lot of stuff most think is great, like he's just sent tons of starlink dishes to people stranded in the mountains of north carolina so they can communicate, know what's going on, and let loved ones know they're alive. the return self-landing first stages of spacex rockets never cease to amaze.

and as has been said, tesla is more than a car company. it's only going to take reputable reviewers saying fsd is good enough for most people for the stock to take off. then there's the coming refreshed y which should do great. at some point they will have to redo the x and they're planning on offering a lower end model below 3 at some point, which may be less interesting in the u.s., but could be enormous worldwide. the powerwall business, the semis, robots...

I personally don't think most Model 3 and Y buyers even read what Elon posts.
absolutely. they liked the car, they bought the car. pretty simple.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-02-24 at 09:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (Today), Hameed (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread