EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-23, 01:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have it on my car. Don't be scared, you can take full control very easily. I'd keep a hand on or very near the bottom of the wheel just in case you have to intervene. Pro tip: it'll alert you about once/minute to put your hand on the wheel (if it can sense your hand isn't on the wheel). Just scroll the right wheel up or down and the computer accepts that response. Sometimes when you grab the wheel on that alert you can accidentally disable the FSD.

My experience has been mixed. In some cases I'm blown away at what it understands - for example, coming out of my neighborhood is a pretty tricky situation. On school days, our traffic light operates as normal. After school hours and on weekends, that light turns into a blinking red light so you can go whenever it's clear to go. The Tesla has navigated each of these perfectly every single time. To make things more difficult, you can't actually see oncoming traffic if you stop directly at the painted white line - you have to creep up a bit to get beyond some plants that obstruct your view of the road. Tesla navigates that perfectly as well - it stops at the painted white line, "realizes" it can't see oncoming traffic well, so it creeps up until it can "see". Very cool.

However, I've also had it roll through a stop sign at a grocery store parking lot (it was late at night and the stop sign was a bit hidden and no white painted stop line on pavement, but still think the car should've seen it). There's also an intersection about 1 mile from my neighborhood where it gets confused and I don't know why. In this case, you have to turn left and the car always puts itself into the outer of 2 left turn lanes. Turns signal on, waits at the light. But when the light turns green, it drives more straight and doesn't seem to want to follow the curve of the lane to make the left turn. I've corrected it a couple of times and about 2 months ago recorded audio as to why I took control (prompted by the car to understand what happened). I should try again and see if it has learned.

There's also some nuance to certain things that could improve. Example: turning left at an intersection, but in 1/4 mile my destination is on right. 10/10 times I'm putting myself in the outside turn lane because it makes for an easy transition. FSD chose the inside lane and I think it did so because there were fewer cars in that lane, but it had to make an aggressive acceleration to get in front of other cars to make the right turn in 1/4 mile. It made it... just not how I'd drive.

Give it a whirl and report back. My understanding is it has gotten substantially better in the last 4-6 weeks but I haven't tried it.
I would never use FSD driving on a regular road, I prefer to have control of the car myself. It's when I'm on a 6 and half or 7 hour trip where I would want to use FSD. Or when I hit SoCal traffic which ca be a killer! Other than that, I don't have any desire to use it
Old 09-17-23, 01:08 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
40-42psi, just follow factory guidance
I've been driving with my tires under-inflated since I bought the car in December. They were always set to 36, a couple of them fell to 33PSI and I just left it alone. After this thread, I went the other day and put them all at 42. The car drives much better and my range is actually improved.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 01:10 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I would never use FSD driving on a regular road, I prefer to have control of the car myself. It's when I'm on a 6 and half or 7 hour trip where I would want to use FSD. Or when I hit SoCal traffic which ca be a killer! Other than that, I don't have any desire to use it
Funny, I've never tried it on any of my 2-3 hour road trips. Only used it around town.
AMIRZA786 (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 01:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've been driving with my tires under-inflated since I bought the car in December. They were always set to 36, a couple of them fell to 33PSI and I just left it alone. After this thread, I went the other day and put them all at 42. The car drives much better and my range is actually improved.
My tires dropped to about 38 PSI, and I actually saw a 1 or 2 percent drop in range. I inflated them yesterday to 42 PSI, and range is now better! Same drive I did I had dropped 5 percent, after inflating them to the recommended, I only dropped 3 percent. Same drive, driving style and ambient temps
Old 09-17-23, 01:46 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

My tires dropped to about 38 PSI, and I actually saw a 1 or 2 percent drop in range. I inflated them yesterday to 42 PSI, and range is now better! Same drive I did I had dropped 5 percent, after inflating them to the recommended, I only dropped 3 percent. Same drive, driving style and ambient temps
Yep, similar experience for me. I do the same route many times per week so I know my percentage when I get home. My round trip route is about 45 miles of highway driving and about 8 miles of total city driving (54 miles total). I saw a 4% improvement when I came home. Crazy.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (09-17-23), RNM GS3 (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
8/13 sources are from china.
Old 09-18-23, 05:18 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

How does it ride with lower psi? It felt a bit rough with recommended psi IMO. I don’t mind shorter range. I would do a few psi less if it helps the ride.

For long trips you are fine with AP. I think Tesla’s adaptive cruise control works nicely. Heavy and/or stop/go traffic is when fsd needed imo. I can’t believe this is happening during our lifespan! The one concern I have is it asks you to place hands over the steering wheel too frequent.

@1111GS we are going to get you in a Model Y or Model X . With or without FSD .
We already have a family hauler. So you never know. It may happen before you know it. 😬
AMIRZA786 (09-18-23)
Old 09-19-23, 06:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1111GS
How does it ride with lower psi? It felt a bit rough with recommended psi IMO. I don’t mind shorter range. I would do a few psi less if it helps the ride.
To my surprise, I think the car actually rides better at high (proper) PSI. The Y Performance is not a silky smooth ride - huge difference from my LS460 and also a decent difference between a regular model 3 (non performance) when I rent those through Hertz. But I do think it rides better at the appropriate PSI.
Old 09-19-23, 08:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,926 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Being 100% wrong is an impressive skill.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/tesl...-bob-lutz.html
AMIRZA786 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 09:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

GM dismissed Tesla in 2009 as a 'bunch of engineers playing with laptop batteries,' Nikola's CEO says

• General Motors viewed Tesla in 2009 as a "bunch of engineers playing with laptop batteries."
  • Nikola CEO Steve Girsky, who served on GM's board, recalled being told that in a recent Q&A.
  • Tesla now ranks among the world's most-valuable companies with a $830 billion market capitalization
One of Tesla's biggest rivals was totally dismissive of Elon Musk's automaker less than 15 years ago, Nikola CEO Steve Girsky recalled during a recent fireside chat.

Girsky, who took over as Nikola's CEO in August, served on General Motors' board of directors between 2009 and 2016. He raised the subject of Tesla shortly after joining the auto giant, he said last week, according to a transcript provided by AlphaSense/Sentieo.

"I asked about Tesla and was told that it was just a bunch of engineers playing with laptop batteries," Girsky said.

"That was conventional wisdom at the time, and we know how that turned out," he continued. "Tesla got a 10-year jump start on the entire industry."

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...ev-auto-2023-9
LeX2K (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 10:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,926 Likes on 2,464 Posts

They were not wrong it was engineers playing with laptop batteries but there was so much more going on. That's like saying the first GUI based computer was only a track ball on a cord nothing to see here.
Old 09-19-23, 10:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Big, huge laptop batteries
Old 09-19-23, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

not sure we need all these "they were wrong" and "i told you so" articles.
Hameed (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 10:28 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

To my surprise, I think the car actually rides better at high (proper) PSI. The Y Performance is not a silky smooth ride - huge difference from my LS460 and also a decent difference between a regular model 3 (non performance) when I rent those through Hertz. But I do think it rides better at the appropriate PSI.
That's good to know it rides better with proper PSI. I only drove LS460 for a test drive back in the day when it came out so I can't compare. I have not driven MYP (21") either but I feel MY with 20" is smooth on smooth roads. When there's imperfection, I find it's inferior to German midsize luxury SUVs. The wind noise is also noticeable. A short drive one may not feel but on a long ride, one can feel the difference. IMO, it's not a good long distance hauler. Maybe MX is better?
Old 09-19-23, 10:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Darn, I was just about to post the 2010 Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson makes fun of the Tesla Roadster and James May says electric cars "aren't fit for drivers"

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-19-23 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread