EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-23, 10:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
That's good to know it rides better with proper PSI. I only drove LS460 for a test drive back in the day when it came out so I can't compare. I have not driven MYP (21") either but I feel MY with 20" is smooth on smooth roads. When there's imperfection, I find it's inferior to German midsize luxury SUVs. The wind noise is also noticeable. A short drive one may not feel but on a long ride, one can feel the difference. IMO, it's not a good long distance hauler. Maybe MX is better?
It definitely doesn't ride like German Luxury models (or Lexus for that matter), but I've taken the Y on two road trips and it's been fine for me and my family. The roads to SoCal are not the best either
Old 09-19-23, 10:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure we need all these "they were wrong" and "i told you so" articles.
Learning from mistakes so we don't repeat them.
Old 09-19-23, 11:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This is something that should have been done a long time ago...

Tesla builds in-car software to make car rental easier with Hertz’s fleet

Tesla has built new in-car software specifically for Hertz’s growing fleet of Tesla vehicles for rent around the world.

Back in 2021, Hertz announced an important effort to electrify its fleet of rental cars, led by a massive purchase of 100,000 Tesla Model 3 vehicles. More recently, the company added Model Y vehicles to the order.

The rental company’s Tesla fleet has been growing over the last few years, and it reported that Tesla vehicles are increasing Hertz’s customer satisfaction.

Customers like how easy Tesla vehicles are to use, but the automaker also saw opportunities to make things even easier for renters.

Last year, Tesla started to move its driver profiles to the cloud so it would be easier for drivers to upload all their profile information on a new car.

Now Tesla has even developed software for Hertz rental cars in the US to scan a QR code on the vehicle’s screen to automatically make your phone the key for the duration of the rental:

And if you have the cloud-based user profile enabled, you will also automatically get your profile uploaded to the car.

Electrek’s Take

This is pretty neat. Tesla had previously disclosed that it was working with rental companies and even police departments on developing custom software in order for their vehicles to be more useful in those industries.

It looks like it is finally happening.

https://electrek.co/2023/09/19/tesla...rental-hertzs/
Old 09-19-23, 11:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

This is brilliant. This is how you get people to have the full Tesla experience and convert renters into potential buyers down the road. Well done. Bit would've probably enjoyed this on his recent rental.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-19-23)
Old 09-19-23, 11:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
This is brilliant. This is how you get people to have the full Tesla experience and convert renters into potential buyers down the road. Well done. Bit would've probably enjoyed this on his recent rental.
Oh yeah, I don't know why this wasn't done in the first place, maybe they were working on the software to get it perfect. Also they may have been trying to get this to work right for people that don't have Tesla accounts. When Tesla service gave me a loaner, it was totally seamless...the car's profile appeared in my app, and I just paired it with one click. When I returned the car (after hours), the car was automatically removed from my app the moment my car was taken out of Service Mode.
Old 09-19-23, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

great piece on elon musk

Old 09-20-23, 10:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Model S & X price drops seem to be working

It appears that Tesla’s recent price cuts to the Model S and Model X are working. This seems to be especially true for the flagship all-electric SUV, the Tesla Model X.

In late August, Tesla implemented a round of price cuts to the Model S sedan and Model X SUV. Under the new pricing scheme, the Model S started at $74,990 before options, and the Model X started at $79,990 before options. Prior to the price cuts, the vehicles started at $88,490 and $98,490, respectively

As per observations from Tesla watchers on social media, it appears that the price cuts have resulted in a wave of orders for the Model X. This was hinted at in the estimated delivery dates of the flagship all-electric SUV. Initially, the vehicle was listed with an estimated delivery date of September to October 2023. This was later changed to October to November 2023.

And as per Tesla’s online configurator for the Model X in the United States today, the flagship all-electric SUV is currently listed with an estimated delivery date of November to December 2023. This is true for both the Model X Dual Motor All Wheel Drive and the Tesla Model X Plaid, which features a Tri-Motor All Wheel Drive setup.

For comparison, the Model S sedan also appears to be seeing some orders. Similar to the Model X, the flagship all-electric sedan was listed with an estimated delivery date of September to October 2023 following the recent price cuts. A look at the Model S’ order page for the United States currently shows that both the Model S Long Range Dual Motor All Wheel Drive and the Model S Plaid are listed with an estimated delivery date of October to November 2023.

At their current prices, one could argue that the Model S and Model X are very competitive. There are very few vehicles, electric or otherwise, after all, that could match the Model S and Model X in terms of tech, performance, and safety at their current price range.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...es-price-cuts/
Old 09-20-23, 10:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

I see 16 Model X available for delivery now in my area. None are base, or Plaid. That tells me people either want the rebate, or the top of the line at the current reduced price. There are also 9 Model S, but no Plaid.
AMIRZA786 (09-20-23)
Old 09-20-23, 12:24 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I see 16 Model X available for delivery now in my area. None are base, or Plaid. That tells me people either want the rebate, or the top of the line at the current reduced price. There are also 9 Model S, but no Plaid.
There are only two models of the X. LR and Plaid.
Old 09-20-23, 12:27 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
There are only two models of the X. LR and Plaid.
Base, as in no addons to get it above the $80k threshold for the tax credit.
Old 09-23-23, 10:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Is this real?

Old 09-23-23, 10:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That almost scares me. Next thing we know, our robot helpers are breaking our necks...
Old 09-23-23, 10:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That almost scares me.
Tesla bot is specifically designed so it can't overpower a weakling human. But things can be modified it is scary. Why are we hell bent on making The Terminator real. On the up side imagine the value such a thing can have for people with disability or mobility issues.

I'm still having trouble parsing that video the way the hands move is so human like. Why does it have to be called Optimus? Are we trying to make science fiction real? Don't answer that.
Old 09-23-23, 10:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla bot is specifically designed so it can't overpower a weakling human. But things can be modified it is scary. Why are we hell bent on making The Terminator real. On the up side imagine the value such a thing can have for people with disability or mobility issues.

I'm still having trouble parsing that video the way the hands move is so human like. Why does it have to be called Optimus? Are we trying to make science fiction real? Don't answer that.
The human hand design (focusing on the thumb) and our ability to use complex reasoning is what makes us human....if AI ever reaches the complex reasoning stage paired with human dexterity, better run for the hills
Old 09-23-23, 10:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The human hand design (focusing on the thumb) and our ability to use complex reasoning is what makes us human....if AI ever reaches the complex reasoning stage paired with human dexterity, better run for the hills
It's going to happen. AI will soon pass the average person in reasoning and general intelligence. It will continue to get smarter at an exponential rate all it takes is for AI to decide people are no longer needed and the dystopian future we wrote about becomes reality.

And humanoid robots can upgrade to just about any appendage or anything they can imagine. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll only fight each other in fact that feels like a likely scenario, battling AI robots.

AMIRZA786 (09-23-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread