EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 02:19 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

It's only $1k more for our Y we picked up in July. I bet those that got the silver are really pissed! Theirs went up $3k!

Tesla's pricing fluctuations are based on supply and demand. It is what it is.

Old 10-06-23, 02:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
It's only $1k more for our Y we picked up in July. I bet those that got the silver are really pissed! Theirs went up $3k!

Tesla's pricing fluctuations are based on supply and demand. It is what it is.
As I mentioned previously, most Tesla owners I know keep their cars for 8 to 10 years or more. My brother in law for example bought a Model 3 rwd in Oct 2022 paid $40,240 (plus $1500 for paint), today the same car is $38,990. My brother in law changes cars around every 10 years. By than he's not even going to remember what he paid
Old 10-06-23, 02:33 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So hold on. Are you saying my co worker who paid over $100K for a $68K MSRP MY2022 C8 2LT Trim is not the same? Or what about this?

You are absolutely right, it's not the same. ADM is way, way worse. Thank you for pointing that out
You dont have to buy a car at an adm. Logic is flawed here im sorry.
Old 10-06-23, 02:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B Dot
You dont have to buy a car at an adm. Logic is flawed here im sorry.
I never said you have to, but you did last year if you wanted to buy a car from most dealerships. My brother in law specifically bought a Tesla last year because the Ioniq 5 he wanted had a $6K ADM. So yes, you don't have to pay ADM, and thanks to Tesla, ADM had gone away. Dealerships cheating you hasn't, on the other hand
Old 10-06-23, 02:51 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

That's 100 percent wrong, I'm sorry. What manufacturers show is not what the vehicle sells for. MSRP doesn't mean a fricken thing, because you don't find out the final price until you get to the dealership because they are always trying to pull the rug out from under you. When I bought both my Polestar and Model Y, before I even put down my deposit I knew exactly to the penny what I was going to pay OTD. When I leased our Ioniq 5 recently, it took me over a month to lock down the price, than 4 wasted hours to finalize. To justify dealers adding ADM is just sad to me. Sure you don't have buy, but what if you need a car?

As far as Tesla's price cuts...I love it! It's forcing prices down on all manufactures. The only reason I got a deal from the Hyundai dealership was because of the Tesla price cuts. Before Tesla price cuts, they wouldn't even negotiate or give me the time of day.

Sure, price cuts hurt the value, and for people who trade up frequently and lost $20K it sucks, but generally people who buy Tesla's keep them for 10 years or more. At least everyone I know. And in 10 years, who cares if your car lost $20K LoL? You won't even remember, I can can barely even remember yesterday.

You know, this is a new one to me that leaves me scratching my head, people getting mad that prices are being cut on cars LoL
No one is getting mad at prices being cut. It's the hypocrisy of Tesla fans I am amazed by. So dealers get shamed by Tesla fans because of ADM but when Tesla basically adds their own ADM because of demand it's all good in your eyes. To justify Tesla adding an "ADM" and chastise dealers for doing the same is what's really said. For me, I would rather have no ADM from dealers or Tesla...because I have no skin in the game and hoping to see a certain stock go up. The only difference is customers know they are paying an ADM and decided it's worth it for them vs a Tesla they get blind sided. For some reason you can't see the obvious similarities.

Old 10-06-23, 02:55 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

So hold on. Are you saying my co worker who paid over $100K for a $68K MSRP MY2022 C8 2LT Trim is not the same? Or what about this?

You are absolutely right, it's not the same. ADM is way, way worse. Thank you for pointing that out
oh wow I didn't know you co worker had no choice and was forced to buy a C8 with a massive ADM. I bet it was a life or death, either buy the C8 with a massive ADM because without it he could not survive. Waiting a year or 2 would not be a possibility in this life or death situation
Old 10-06-23, 02:59 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

I know putting myself in your shoes sucks. But think about the time you didn't waste buying your Plaid. Do you know how much time it took to get the deal I wanted for the Ioniq 5? One month. And then I wasted 4 hours signing papers and picking up the car. And I still got ripped off by the dealership in the end.

At least the money Tesla charges goes back to them. A dealership just takes a huge slice of the pie with absolutely no value added except maybe a chair to sit in and a cup of crappy coffee
So he should be elated that his hard working money when to Tesla instead of a dealer. I don't think he cares and would rather the money stay in his pocket. Tesla takes an even larger profit when he bought his plaid a year ago with absolutely no added value vs someone buying one today. Not even a chair or coffee for his extra 40k.
Old 10-06-23, 03:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
No one is getting mad at prices being cut. It's the hypocrisy of Tesla fans I am amazed by. So dealers get shamed by Tesla fans because of ADM but when Tesla basically adds their own ADM because of demand it's all good in your eyes. To justify Tesla adding an "ADM" and chastise dealers for doing the same is what's really said. For me, I would rather have no ADM from dealers or Tesla...because I have no skin in the game and hoping to see a certain stock go up. The only difference is customers know they are paying an ADM and decided it's worth it for them vs a Tesla they get blind sided. For some reason you can't see the obvious similarities.
In 2022 I specifically did not buy a Model 3 because the Polestar 2 was $10K cheaper. The reason I bought the Model Y this year was due to price drops, as I wasn't previously happy with Tesla pricing. The thing about Dealerships is, they don't benefit the consumer, nor do they benefit the automaker. They are middlemen that take a slice, but offer no benefits. If the automaker marks up the price, I'm totally fine with that because that helps the automaker, and I don't care who they are. When the dealership marks up the price, I'm not because the dealership is already making money selling at MSRP, and now they are taking a bigger slice of the pie without adding value. Plus they just waste hours of your time.

The difference between companies like Tesla and Polestar is that whatever price you see online is what you get. If you don't like it, you move on. A dealership advertises a price to get you in, than suddenly it's not available. Plus all the pressure they try and put you through for add on's.

If a dealership sells me a car at MSRP with no markup's, I'm totally fine with that, I don't care if it's Toyota, Lexus, BMW, etc. Pure and simple
Old 10-06-23, 03:11 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

As I mentioned previously, most Tesla owners I know keep their cars for 8 to 10 years or more. My brother in law for example bought a Model 3 rwd in Oct 2022 paid $40,240 (plus $1500 for paint), today the same car is $38,990. My brother in law changes cars around every 10 years. By than he's not even going to remember what he paid
Question, hypothetical scenario....let's say you bought your mode Y for 50k. Before signing the papers Tesla told you, right now demand is high. The actual retail price should be 30k but because demand is high we are selling it to you for 50k. Would you still buy it at 50k?
Old 10-06-23, 03:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So he should be elated that his hard working money when to Tesla instead of a dealer. I don't think he cares and would rather the money stay in his pocket. Tesla takes an even larger profit when he bought his plaid a year ago with absolutely no added value vs someone buying one today. Not even a chair or coffee for his extra 40k.
I have no idea what you are taking about here LoL. I'm confused

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 10-06-23 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 03:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Question, hypothetical scenario....let's say you bought your mode Y for 50k. Before signing the papers Tesla told you, right now demand is high. The actual retail price should be 30k but because demand is high we are selling it to you for 50k. Would you still buy it at 50k?
The answer is NO. I wouldn't pay $50K for a $30K car under any circumstances, Tesla or non Tesla. Had Tesla not done price drops, I wouldn't own one right now. But just to let you know, it doesn't work like that buying a Tesla. Everything is done 100 percent online, including financing
Old 10-06-23, 03:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Look, I feel bad for people like @patgilm that lost $40K value on his Plaid. But that's just the game. Tesla is not the typical auto maker, they have so much margin built into their cars that something like massive price drops have to be expected. Tesla is going to do it's best to crush the competition, we've actually talked about this in past threads going back a couple of years. And if he can afford a Plaid, it didn't hurt him that badly. Sorry Pat
Old 10-06-23, 03:19 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

In 2022 I specifically did not buy a Model 3 because the Polestar 2 was $10K cheaper. The reason I bought the Model Y this year was due to price drops, as I wasn't previously happy with Tesla pricing. The thing about Dealerships is, they don't benefit the consumer, nor do they benefit the automaker. They are middlemen that take a slice, but offer no benefits. If the automaker marks up the price, I'm totally fine with that because that helps the automaker, and I don't care who they are. When the dealership marks up the price, I'm not because the dealership is already making money selling at MSRP, and now they are taking a bigger slice of the pie without adding value. Plus they just waste hours of your time.

The difference between companies like Tesla and Polestar is that whatever price you see online is what you get. If you don't like it, you move on. A dealership advertises a price to get you in, than suddenly it's not available. Plus all the pressure they try and put you through for add on's.

If a dealership sells me a car at MSRP with no markup's, I'm totally fine with that, I don't care if it's Toyota, Lexus, BMW, etc. Pure and simple
So your issue with adm can be summarized with if the manufacturer is the one adding an ADM then your fine but if it's a dealer it's bad? Doesn't make sense from a consumer point of view imo. I would rather no adm whether it's a dealer or manufacturer but hey that's just me.
Old 10-06-23, 03:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So your issue with adm can be summarized with if the manufacturer is the one adding an ADM then your fine but if it's a dealer it's bad? Doesn't make sense from a consumer point of view imo. I would rather no adm whether it's a dealer or manufacturer but hey that's just me.
No, I'm with you on ADM, I don't want it as a consumer, period. But I would rather the manufacturer make the money because ultimately it helps them make better cars. I'm 55 years old and driving for more than 30 years, and I've seen when car manufactures have had to cut on quality to compete, and it's not pretty.

If you want to know why I have a huge beef with dealerships, just read my Ioniq 5 thread
Old 10-06-23, 03:36 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

The answer is NO. I wouldn't pay $50K for a $30K car under any circumstances, Tesla or non Tesla. Had Tesla not done price drops, I wouldn't own one right now. But just to let you know, it doesn't work like that buying a Tesla. Everything is done 100 percent online, including financing
You're missing the whole point and making me wonder why I am even bother trying lol.

Whatever you bought your current Model Y for, if Tesla told you they will be reducing the price by 20k when demand isn't so high before you bought the one you did would you still buy it? The answer is NO correct?

A dealer makes you aware that you are paying a ADM. It's your choice to decide if you want to pay it or wait until demand decreases.

One entity makes you aware you're paying more for something worth less and it's your decision if you want to proceed or not. The other entity is keeping their customer in the dark, waiting for the customer to buy it then lower the price and say sorry no refunds sucker lol.

How people see the latter as better than the former blows my mind.

People who were willing to pay an ADM did and people who weren't waited. People who were willing to wait longer to buy their Tesla after the price drops did not have a damn choice in the first place because they didn't know the prices would drop. I am sure MANY Tesla buyers last year would have held off buying until after the price drops unfortunately they weren't given a choice and that seems to be a plus in your mind.
The following users liked this post:
B Dot (10-07-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread