EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 02:11 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 762 Likes on 531 Posts

It depends on where you are. In my neck of the woods, it can't confidently navigate roundabouts, the auto lane changes are either too timid or too aggressive, and following distances invite people to cut me off. All of my primary use cases could be handled by EAP or regular AP which makes FSD not worth the extra money. That being said, I was able to use it a lot more frequently than the Rivian's Driver Assistance which is limited to map roads and has worse following distances.
Old 10-16-23, 02:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It depends on where you are. In my neck of the woods, it can't confidently navigate roundabouts, the auto lane changes are either too timid or too aggressive, and following distances invite people to cut me off. All of my primary use cases could be handled by EAP or regular AP which makes FSD not worth the extra money. That being said, I was able to use it a lot more frequently than the Rivian's Driver Assistance which is limited to map roads and has worse following distances.
Can't you change the follow distance in FSD? I can in AP
Old 10-16-23, 04:10 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 762 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Can't you change the follow distance in FSD? I can in AP
You can but the closest follow distances still invite a holes to cut in. We've got a lot of them in NJ.
Old 10-17-23, 03:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

BMW is in
https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=4258&mid=

That leaves
VW
Stellantis
Subaru
Mazda
Lucid
Toyota

Toyota, Subaru and Mazda don't matter they barely sell any EVs. VW is being dumb Lucid even more so they need every possible advantage right now.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (10-18-23)
Old 10-18-23, 01:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla Q3 financials are a tire fire.
Old 10-18-23, 01:54 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

stock hasn't moved much after market. Lower revenue/margins already mostly factored in. I guess the biggest swings will depend on the earnings call and Q&A performance.
Old 10-18-23, 02:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Cybertruck launch event November 30 so some good news.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (10-18-23), signdetres (10-18-23)
Old 10-18-23, 03:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That was flat out the most dark, depressing earnings call I have ever heard from any company.
Old 10-18-23, 06:08 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That was flat out the most dark, depressing earnings call I have ever heard from any company.
It's the first time TSLA has missed on earnings and revenue in 4 years (July 2019 to be exact).

I didn't hear the call but will find and listen to it as an interested investor. This could be viewed as the "canary in a coal mine". We're in a very challenging economy. On a daily basis, I wonder how the majority of Americans are affording to do just about anything other than live. I live in a wealthy zip code, so things look pretty rosy here, but the cost of everything is up so much that I can't believe how seemingly unaffected many public companies (including car companies) have been. I read a stat that wages would have to grow approx 70% to have the cost of living now "feel" like it did in January 2020. People are having to make lots of choices. A new car will be towards the bottom of many lists, rightfully so. If I could short the entire credit card market, I would. I believe people are vastly over extended and just putting everything on credit cards that'll never get paid off.

Musk is right that he has to get prices and cost down. I own RIVN stock and it took a bigger beating today than TSLA before Tesla even reported earnings.

Tesla has done 0 marketing. It might be time to educate the market that you can buy a Model 3 for the same price, if not cheaper than, a Corolla or Camry... and that the vast majority of people driving 50-70 miles/day don't ever need to worry about range anxiety.
Old 10-18-23, 06:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Elon wasn't wrong about anything in fact he is being brutally honest. But, earnings call is not the time for a deep dive into the macro environment. Talk about Tesla. I found the entire thing to be extremely lacking in professionalism and more importantly discipline. Elon wants to say what's on his mind well go do that in some random interview. He crossed a line IMO.

His duty is to Tesla and shareholders, not his job to educate us all on the prospects of the economy, interest rates and other things out of his control. There is so much positive to talk about and he instead chooses to paint a doom and gloom picture. I don't give a toss if it is all true, doesn't matter. FOCUS.
Old 10-18-23, 06:21 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Elon wasn't wrong about anything in fact he is being brutally honest. But, earnings call is not the time for a deep dive into the macro environment. Talk about Tesla. I found the entire thing to be extremely lacking in professionalism and more importantly discipline. Elon wants to say what's on his mind well go do that in some random interview. He crossed a line IMO.

His duty is to Tesla and shareholders, not his job to educate us all on the prospects of the economy, interest rates and other things out of his control. There is so much positive to talk about and he instead chooses to paint a doom and gloom picture. I don't give a toss if it is all true, doesn't matter. FOCUS.
Fair points and I agree with your viewpoint (although I haven't heard the call). I'm even more interested in hearing the call now.
Old 10-18-23, 07:34 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

Please. Only Tesla makes a profit on EVs; GM and Ford lose billion$.
Bad news for Tesla shareholders; catastrophe for GM, Ford and VW.
Expect them to cut back on their EV iniatives. Tesla's price cuts, enabled by mfg efficiency, are too much pressure.
Old 10-18-23, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

frankly in the u.s. market i only see hyundai/kia/genesis (1 company) bringing it in any fashion to tesla.
off the top of my head...
hyundai has the ioniq 5 and 6 and will have an ev santa fe at some point.
kia has the ev6 and coming ev7, ev9, ev5.
genesis has g80ev, g70ev, coming g90ev.
that's 10 models at least. tesla still has 4 + a really ugly truck coming at some point.
i know someone interested in a tesla, but not until they have cooled seats on a 3 or Y for example. and i still think not offering apple carplay is a big mistake.
i know tesla keeps dropping prices and adding incentives but if you don't have the features, some people just won't buy.
highland 3 is an improvement, but where's the highland y?
could be quite a while before we see either in the u.s.
and i think cybertruck 'deliveries' and quality will be another dumpster fire.

and hey, i DO have tsla stock as well, so i'm not just being a naysayer but i'm concerned.

of course tesla is also a global company, and slowdowns are happening big time in europe and even china which are macroeconomic forces tesla can't do much about.
Old 10-18-23, 08:02 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

With Tesla you just have to ignore the drops and not get carried away with the gains but as noted above, the issue with this call was mostly Musk. He makes some incredible things happen, he really does, but he is an absolutely appalling public speaker. He is unfocused, undisciplined and inarticulate. The results didn’t move the stock in the aftermarket, the earnings call did. Or more pertinently, he did. Leave the calls to others, there’s plenty of genuinely talented people at Tesla who would bo an amazing job on these calls and plenty to keep him otherwise occupied.
Old 10-18-23, 08:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Good to see the EV propaganda die down - seems like folks that wanted one, bought one and most of the public is happy driving their ICE dinosaur cars.

EVs are a growing niche that will eventually make up significant % of new car sales but not anytime soon. Imagine if there were no government incentives.

Tesla will be fine and Chinese automakers will be coming hard as long as there are no bigger issues. The political environment is also not good for EVs as ppl don’t want to try new things in uncertain times.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread