EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 07:05 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

Model X Plaid price increased by 5k. The endless tweaking continues!
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (10-20-23), LeX2K (10-20-23)
Old 10-20-23, 10:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
true, but he was so sure of his "reality distortion" ability that he refused to accept he had (pancreatic) cancer, going around the world for every bogus new age 'treatment' when he could probably have been saved if he'd gone for modern medical treatment right away. that's sad.
Anyone that seeks out natural treatments for cancer is mentally ill. Sorry, they are. Pancreatic cancer is rarely curable but at least he had a chance.
Originally Posted by swajames
Model X Plaid price increased by 5k. The endless tweaking continues!
This is getting silly. Everyone pays the same price for a Tesla if they buy it the same second.
Old 10-20-23, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Anyone that seeks out natural treatments for cancer is mentally ill. Sorry, they are. Pancreatic cancer is rarely curable but at least he had a chance.
agree he had a chance. mentally ill is a bit strong, but the moment you believe your own b.s. you're in trouble.
Old 10-21-23, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

now that NACS is definitely becoming the standard in the u.s. if not all of north america, how does everyone think this will impact the supercharger network and more importantly tesla's revenue/earnings?

i really don't know if they make any money on charging.

how will tesla owners feel if they go to a supercharger and it's full of non tesla cars?

has tesla announced plans to expand their network even more rapidly?

what will EA, CP and others do in response?

maybe this should be a separate "NACS" thread?
Old 10-21-23, 08:43 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

Tesla initially didn't see charging as a profit center, but it is these days. It is generally one of the more expensive, there's a lot of gross margin, but they are of course investing a lot in the network. The supercharger network alone could easily drive more revenue than some automakers generate from selling cars within a few years.
Old 10-21-23, 09:25 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

now that NACS is definitely becoming the standard in the u.s. if not all of north america, how does everyone think this will impact the supercharger network and more importantly tesla's revenue/earnings?

i really don't know if they make any money on charging.

how will tesla owners feel if they go to a supercharger and it's full of non tesla cars?

has tesla announced plans to expand their network even more rapidly?

what will EA, CP and others do in response?

maybe this should be a separate "NACS" thread?
Well, no one likes to wait in line, AFAIK.
Tesla continually adds Supercharger locations, based on demand. This will accelerate Supercharger growth and benefit all of us. The idea of 2 (or more) charger types makes zero sense.
I have to believe this will be a profit center, with coffee shops and more. Tesla can also make use of their solar business to help minimize their cost and sell at retail.
You might make the case that when you think of "EV" you think of Tesla. The Tesla brand can only benefit as they own the "gas stations" as well. Wanna buy a t-shirt? Only $25...
Old 10-21-23, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Tesla will just continue to expand their super charging network as they have been continuously doing. At this point I've never had issues finding charging while traveling, and I see them adding new chargers at existing charging locations.

As far as how Tesla drivers will feel, I'm sure some won't be happy, as I see people complain when Tesla owners charge at EA stations
Old 10-21-23, 11:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

A few observations. Aluminum wire for high voltage section. I don't like the look of the one small connector it might come loose and disconnect. AMP connectors are consistently excellent. Logic board is small and elegant. Torque spec right on the cabinet, might seem obvious but smart choice. High voltage wires are stripped back more than necessary, why? Instructions say to clean the aluminum before torquing down.

"Made on Earth by Humans"
Old 10-21-23, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Well, no one likes to wait in line, AFAIK.
true but tesla owners have had exclusive use of the superchargers so now they might roll up and see nothing but non-tesla vehicles there... not sure i'd be happy. while tesla can add additional locations i expect most existing locations can't be expanded because of space.

Tesla continually adds Supercharger locations, based on demand.
i just looked up how many they're adding but can only find a global # of them (318 added in q2).

I have to believe this will be a profit center, with coffee shops and more.
i could see tesla separating the charge business into a separate entity, or at some point it may become an antitrust issue.

Tesla can also make use of their solar business to help minimize their cost and sell at retail.
are you referring to using solar panels at superchargers? i still believe this isn't very helpful given the low output of solar panels (for given size) vs the enormous power demands of cars.
a whole house solar setup is typically 6kw, so, during sunlight hours only, that's equivalent to my 25A lever 2 charger which adds about 10% to my car every 90 minutes, hardly 'fast' (but fine for now for me in evening or overnight). but for a supercharger station which on average for new ones has 9 connections, you'd need a football field of solar, plus batteries so it's backed up in the night.

You might make the case that when you think of "EV" you think of Tesla. The Tesla brand can only benefit as they own the "gas stations" as well. Wanna buy a t-shirt? Only $25...
again, a potential anti-trust issue at some point, as for the shirts, if i drive a non-tesla, why would i want a tesla shirt?
Old 10-21-23, 01:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

i could see tesla separating the charge business into a separate entity, or at some point it may become an antitrust issue.
Monopolies are not illegal.
Old 10-21-23, 03:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

When they start getting too big, or the current people in power don't like them, they get broken up. At&t is an example
Old 10-21-23, 03:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
When they start getting too big, or the current people in power don't like them, they get broken up. At&t is an example
If that happens it means Tesla is so rich and successful and by extension me that I won't give a damn lol.
Old 10-23-23, 11:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Elon Musk shares Tesla’s advertising strategy

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-...sing-strategy/
Old 10-23-23, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

monopolies typically only exist BECAUSE of government help or it's their goal.

AT&T became a monopoly until the 80s because the govt WANTED "ma bell" to be THE phone company.

becoming a monopoly without govt help is extremely difficult. is microsoft a monopoly? google? apple? tesla?? didn't think so. they're certainly dominant players but they can fail (microsoft with phones is a good example). customers don't HAVE to use these companies.

so the absurdity is that anti-trust laws exist to break up monopolies but typically companies only become monopolies because the government made it possible.
"we're the government and we're here to help."
Old 10-23-23, 02:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla to Add Waze-like Reporting, Supercharger Congestion Fees, Better Alternate Routes, Autodial 911

When @greentheonly "peeks" into Tesla firmware, we pay attention. The well-known Tesla hacker has alerted us to changes for years. While sometimes he provides deep analysis of what he finds, other times it can be as simple as a few words that cause the Tesla community to go down the rabbit hole. The latest revelations found in the 2023.38 software update, reveal some enticing upcoming enhancements.

Supercharger Congestion Fees

Tesla cleverly addresses Supercharger availability concerns by bringing congestion fees for those charging beyond 80% at busy stations. This is a way to optimize station usage and a countermeasure against users extending their charge to dodge idle fees. With this change, Tesla promotes efficient Supercharger use, ensuring more users can access them when needed.

Object-on-Road Detection & Communication

Tesla's vision system is set to redefine real-time road awareness. Taking a leaf out of Waze's playbook but enhancing it significantly, Tesla will employ its cars as the sensors to feed the rest of the fleet in the area. When a Tesla detects an obstacle or hazard, other Teslas will promptly display the hazard on the map. This leap in connectivity leapfrogs apps like Waze which requires users to input road construction or hazards manually through the app.

Such a feature synergizes with the recent Emergency Safety Solutions, Inc. partnership. This company developed the recently enhanced hazard light pattern system on Tesla models. But it also has the Hazard Enhanced Location Protocol (HELP) software. It is primed to send digital signals to pre-warn drivers of looming hazards.

Every seven minutes, a disabled vehicle is involved in a crash on American roads. An alarming 15,000 injuries or fatalities annually. Given the startling statistics around crashes involving stationary vehicles, Tesla's adoption of HELP is a monumental stride towards safer roads.

Dynamic Alternate Route Suggestions

An upcoming software update will dynamically offer alternate route suggestions. Building on last year's introduction of an alternate route feature, Tesla drivers will be kept consistently informed about potential route changes, reminiscent of the dynamic route updates offered by Google Maps.

Autodial Emergency Services

Safety remains paramount for Tesla. According to Green's findings, Tesla is also looking to introduce an option to autodial 911 if an airbag deploys. In places where e-call isn't mandated, the system can tap into a connected phone via Bluetooth, ensuring that help is always a button away, irrespective of the region.

Release Date

While these features were found in decompiled code in the 2023.38 update, they are still a work in progress and need further development before they're made available. While it's possible that Tesla is already testing some of the features internally, it's also possible that they'll scrap one or more of these features.

Thanks to Green's casual peek behind the curtain, many of us will be anxiously awaiting Tesla's next update and upcoming holiday release.

https://www.notateslaapp.com/softwar...s-autodial-911
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (10-23-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread