EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-23, 06:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the issue might also be build defects which means the car is not available to be rented while it's being fixed.

as you may recall, the 3 i rented from hertz had a major defect with the trunk lid lifted up on one side. didn't bother me (i expected it ), but not a great look.
No, it is not build defects but uber drivers damaging their Teslas more than what they thought.

Significant number of their Teslas went to Uber drivers.
Old 10-28-23, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
No, it is not build defects but uber drivers damaging their Teslas more than what they thought.

Significant number of their Teslas went to Uber drivers.
an uber driver can make money even paying to rent a car from hertz?
Old 10-28-23, 09:19 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm confused about that as well. There are no maintenance costs except cabin filter, tire rotation. My brother in law is at 20k just did his first service, tire rotation and cabin filter
Repairs, not maintenance. Rentals can take a beating. Tesla's parts issues are well documented.
Depreciation is higher on all our cars due to Tesla's price war. But CEO Shurr pointed out they will buy cheaper as well.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (10-28-23)
Old 10-28-23, 09:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Repairs, not maintenance. Rentals can take a beating. Tesla's parts issues are well documented.
Depreciation is higher on all our cars due to Tesla's price war. But CEO Shurr pointed out they will buy cheaper as well.
Makes sense!
Old 10-29-23, 12:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

That was Hertz plan, i know I'm my country a lot of money is made by providing Uber drivers with a car, by 3rd party rental companies.

Anyway, whole idea for buying 100k Teslas was a deal with Uber.

Combine they with Teslas having above average costs per repair, you get into trouble.
Old 10-29-23, 12:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Rent a Tesla near you for $334/week¹Great news! Now you can rent a 2021 or 2022 Tesla from Hertz to drive with Uber. Teslas qualify for the Zero Emissions incentive and allow you to earn more through Uber Comfort trips.
​​​​​​​Quick Google search brings these results from uber.com.

AMIRZA786 (10-29-23)
Old 10-31-23, 07:59 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Avis have been renting cars to uber drivers for a few years. Avis takes care of all maintenance including tires and also the repair process (although I am not sure who foot the repair bill for damages). The good thing for uber drivers is if the car needs maintenance / repairs, they go to designated Avis locations, drop off that car and pick up a next car. For the uber driver, its almost no down time and no worries about maintaining the vehicle.

I am at major Avis locations because of my business and they have Teslas lined out for repairs that sit there for MONTHS. Majority of these are Model 3s with the rear glass broken. Apparently a defect where closing the trunk breaks the glass. Each day a vehicle sits, is a day lost in revenue. How I see Avis operates as well, they won't even rent a vehicle with water condensation in the head light / tail light (liability reasons). So they have some Teslas sitting on their lot for water in the tail light as well lol. Another issue is these EVs sit waiting on repairs and their batteries go dead.

How these rental agencies operate is, they would rather pay $500 to fix a car today than pay $30 to fix it next week. Each day lost is worse than saving a few dollars in repair cost.
bitkahuna (10-31-23)
Old 10-31-23, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

wow blaze876, interesting info... sounds like a big problem for avis/hertz/etc.

do the cars sit for months because of lack of service bandwidth?
Old 10-31-23, 10:13 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

wow blaze876, interesting info... sounds like a big problem for avis/hertz/etc.

do the cars sit for months because of lack of service bandwidth?
Nope, lack of parts. Although majority of Avis fleet is under warranty they rarely bring them in for warranty repairs. If a vehicle has an issue covered under warranty, it usually cost them more to have it towed to the dealer and wait on them to repair it vs using their own mechanic shop / vendors that come on site to do the repair same day.

Recalls are usually a mess. Last huge recall I remember was Ford expeditions possibly catching on fire. Had to park thousands of them and disconnect the 12v battery on every one. They were parked for around 3 months until Ford had a resolution and for them to actually start fixing them. These SUVs rent for I believe $400 per day, so I can just imagine how pissed management must have been lol.

Right now they can't get some GM parts because of the strikes. I would hate owning a rental car business tbh lol. It seems so stressful. Cars come in almost everyday that are total write offs.
Old 10-31-23, 10:19 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Nope, lack of parts. Although majority of Avis fleet is under warranty they rarely bring them in for warranty repairs. If a vehicle has an issue covered under warranty, it usually cost them more to have it towed to the dealer and wait on them to repair it vs using their own mechanic shop / vendors that come on site to do the repair same day.

Recalls are usually a mess. Last huge recall I remember was Ford expeditions possibly catching on fire. Had to park thousands of them and disconnect the 12v battery on every one. They were parked for around 3 months until Ford had a resolution and for them to actually start fixing them. These SUVs rent for I believe $400 per day, so I can just imagine how pissed management must have been lol.

Right now they can't get some GM parts because of the strikes. I would hate owning a rental car business tbh lol. It seems so stressful. Cars come in almost everyday that are total write offs.
The worst rental company is Hertz. They "misplaced" a rental I had returned, and I went through almost three months of hell. I was actually waiting for the Police to show up. I will never, ever, ever rent from them again
Old 10-31-23, 10:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The worst rental company is Hertz. They "misplaced" a rental I had returned, and I went through almost three months of hell. I was actually waiting for the Police to show up. I will never, ever, ever rent from them again
my recent tesla rental was hertz and only thing they 'tried' was sticking a toll road package on the bill that i never agreed to. i called and read them the riot act and they got a refund processed pretty quick. other than that, straightforward plus the supercharger charging was billed straight to the rental and cost was very reasonable (no stupid markups) as far as i could tell.
Old 10-31-23, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

my recent tesla rental was hertz and only thing they 'tried' was sticking a toll road package on the bill that i never agreed to. i called and read them the riot act and they got a refund processed pretty quick. other than that, straightforward plus the supercharger charging was billed straight to the rental and cost was very reasonable (no stupid markups) as far as i could tell.
They charged me $11 for a .50 cent toll. We have toll lanes in the Bay area, and someone changed lanes into me, and I had to quickly move to the Toll lane to avoid getting hit. I was in the toll lane for less than 5 seconds, but the camera caught me going in and out, so charged me .50, but Hertz decided to charge me $11
Old 11-01-23, 12:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Had a near useless investment finally expire (couldn't get out of it without penalty) interest rate was 0.9%. I guess that was good at one time. Anyway went straight into TSLA @197.97 per.
AMIRZA786 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 12:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Had a near useless investment finally expire (couldn't get out of it without penalty) interest rate was 0.9%. I guess that was good at one time. Anyway went straight into TSLA @197.97 per.
If I had spare cash, that's where my money would be going
Old 11-01-23, 12:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

If I had spare cash, that's where my money would be going
Couldn't decide if TSLA was still heading for another black swan event crash or if the huge sell off was over. I like Warren Buffet's advice said he doesn't know when to buy stocks just to buy stocks. In companies he thinks are better than others in the same field. Simple and good advice.

Bank investments are so crap what is the point. Interest rate yields far lower than inflation so the longer your money sits in the bank the more your value shrinks. SCAM. I asked a couple of chartered accounts about this and what to do about it they had no answer.
Hameed (11-02-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread