EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 04:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
... all it means for someone like me and others is that I will just keep my car longer than the typical 3 year period where I get a new car. So on one hand you have some owners that are underwater and won't take the loss and keep the car longer and as a result, not buy a new Tesla to replace the old Tesla and on the other hand, you do get new buyers to buy a Tesla. If I am Tesla I think the new owner is more valuable than the existing owner.
i think it's pretty simple... they need to keep the freight train moving and that means sales in any way possible, and they have to respond to the economy and competition etc. as well.
we've clearly moved passed the 'early adopter' phase of the ev market and tesla has their vast factories to keep busy so price cuts at the easiest way even if some previous buyers will get burned. die hard loyal tesla owners ('defenders of the flame' lol) will be happy they're likely to get more referral credits

but it reminds me of the old 'percentage' fallacy... when you sell 100 cars in a period and next period you sell 150 everyone's jazzed because "50% increase!" then suddenly you're selling 100,000 one period and next period you sell 110,000 (still 10K more vs 50 more in previous example!) and people are underwhelmed because you 'only' saw a 10% increase.

with tesla's stock p/e and 'expectations' it's really hard to keep the gains going especially in a challenging economy.

The other argument I always hear is how the software updates keep the car current and I don't need to sell after three years. Problem with that argument is that a lot has changed in 2 years because of new headlights, tailights, swivel screens, hardware 4, cameras, Steam update for gaming, etc. So I also don't buy the argument that software will keep my car up to date when all of these updates to hardware and software that aren't able to be retrofitted.
exactly. still good that older cars can get updates though... it's funny, my older sony tv hadn't had a software update since 2021 and i figured oh well, i guess it's done and won't work the same as my newer sony tv. just TODAY the old sony got an update, haha and appears to now work the same as the newer one. happy about that, but yeah... first world problems, ha.

For me I would still buy another Tesla but would probably lease this time.
i lease anyway for the business car, but even if it wasn't for business i'd still lease because ev's are changing so fast. at lease end i still have the option to buy it (oh wait, not with tesla, lol).

tesla hasn't been lease friendly, but i think that's going to change. i think bmw is a good role model there... they lease more vehicles than sell, and then the lease returns gives the dealers a supply of decent used cars to make bank on.

For others in the Model S forum there were several that were put off by the price drops and would look to another manufacturer.
they may look, but when they see the other manufacturer's prices. plus they have to deal with dealers in most cases.

The following users liked this post:
Hameed (11-08-23)
Old 11-08-23, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think it's pretty simple... they need to keep the freight train moving and that means sales in any way possible, and they have to respond to the economy and competition etc. as well.
we've clearly moved passed the 'early adopter' phase of the ev market and tesla has their vast factories to keep busy so price cuts at the easiest way even if some previous buyers will get burned. die hard loyal tesla owners ('defenders of the flame' lol) will be happy they're likely to get more referral credits

but it reminds me of the old 'percentage' fallacy... when you sell 100 cars in a period and next period you sell 150 everyone's jazzed because "50% increase!" then suddenly you're selling 100,000 one period and next period you sell 110,000 (still 10K more vs 50 more in previous example!) and people are underwhelmed because you 'only' saw a 10% increase.

with tesla's stock p/e and 'expectations' it's really hard to keep the gains going especially in a challenging economy.

exactly. still good that older cars can get updates though... it's funny, my older sony tv hadn't had a software update since 2021 and i figured oh well, i guess it's done and won't work the same as my newer sony tv. just TODAY the old sony got an update, haha and appears to now work the same as the newer one. happy about that, but yeah... first world problems, ha.

i lease anyway for the business car, but even if it wasn't for business i'd still lease because ev's are changing so fast. at lease end i still have the option to buy it (oh wait, not with tesla, lol).

tesla hasn't been lease friendly, but i think that's going to change. i think bmw is a good role model there... they lease more vehicles than sell, and then the lease returns gives the dealers a supply of decent used cars to make bank on.

they may look, but when they see the other manufacturer's prices. plus they have to deal with dealers in most cases.
Good points. Your last point is an important reason why I would buy another Tesla
Old 11-10-23, 06:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i've watched a couple of this guy's videos... total shill for 'elon'... drinks all the koolaid and believes every delusionally optimistic rumor out there.

Farzaf Mesbahi is his name... anyone else think a model 2 will launch in 12-18 months?

https://www.youtube.com/live/EfsY7uG...atvYST9LWWJozG

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-10-23 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-10-23, 07:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

i've watched a couple of this guy's videos... total shill for 'elon'... drinks all the koolaid and believes every delusionally optimistic rumor out there.

Farzaf Mesbahi is his name... anyone else think a model 2 will launch in 12-18 months?

https://www.youtube.com/live/EfsY7uG...atvYST9LWWJozG
Probably not. It's supposed to be built in Mexico, but they haven't broken ground yet. It's also rumored to be built out of Berlin, but my feelings are it's a ways off. 3 and Y are still cash cows and Cyber truck still is not out.

I generally believe Elon's vision, just not his timelines. Reminds me of the way my wife views time. If we are invited somewhere at 6, we step out of the house at 7. Doesn't matter how far the drive is
bitkahuna (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

uber driver buy's a 2019 model 3 a year ago and has put 120k+ mi. on it since, supercharging it twice a day + home charging. big surprise, the battery died and being out of warranty, he paid $9K to replace it. he loves the car though and kim java (youtuber) has done a gofundme to pay for his battery replacement which is very nice.

worth watching.

The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (11-10-23), swajames (11-10-23)
Old 11-11-23, 02:27 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Has this been posted? What are your thoughts on this change?
Old 11-11-23, 05:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
What changes are we looking at? This looks more like a site for buying and selling cars
Old 11-11-23, 06:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Probably not. It's supposed to be built in Mexico, but they haven't broken ground yet. It's also rumored to be built out of Berlin, but my feelings are it's a ways off. 3 and Y are still cash cows and Cyber truck still is not out.

I generally believe Elon's vision, just not his timelines. Reminds me of the way my wife views time. If we are invited somewhere at 6, we step out of the house at 7. Doesn't matter how far the drive is
I assume this vehicle is mostly for Europe, so i can see it being produced in Berlin first.

As to when, i would assume sometimes in 2025 as they will need more volume by then.
AMIRZA786 (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
not sure we need a click bait post... can you say what this is about?
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (11-11-23), signdetres (11-12-23)
Old 11-11-23, 08:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

not sure we need a click bait post... can you say what this is about?
Ok, I think I know what he was talking about

Elon Musk responds to claims of Tesla selling vehicles through Cars.com

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-...esla-cars-com/
Old 11-12-23, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

really good bull, base, bear analysis for TSLA.

https://247wallst.com/investing/2023...ear-forecasts/
swajames (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 10:08 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

I personally favor the bull predictions for Tesla, there's a lot of growth ahead for this business, but I generally ignore analysts. Most of them are worthless, IMO, and aren't so much predicting future outcomes as much as they are seeking attention for themselves or their firms or essentially attempting manipulation.

My personal history with Tesla stock has been that I've only ever bought and have never sold, and for now I've no plans to change that. It's worked out pretty well for me so far. Don't sweat the big falls, don't get excited about the big upswings, and ignore the analysts.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (11-12-23), Hameed (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 10:55 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Tesla basically sells 2 cars. The Cybertruck is a big question mark, but the Big 2.5 better hope it's a flop.
The Model 2 will hit Toyota in the gut; the Corolla is it's biggest seller and historically #1 in the world. The Corolla is a low margin vehicle; if the Model 2 is designed based on everything Tesla has learned; it could be a good margin car for the masses. That's a game changer.

And Tesla owns the charging network... No one predicted that.

Oh yeah, Tesla is a technology company. Who knows what they have up their sleeve? Everyone else is 10 years behind. Tesla owns 50% of the EV market.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
AMIRZA786 (11-12-23), swajames (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 10:55 AM
swajames
Pole Position

To expand, the reasons I favor the bull scenario for Tesla are:

the future Model 2 will quickly lead in its segment and see massive adoption;
the current core products - 3 and Y - will continue to lead in their segments
Cybertruck will drive revenue and, in future, significant margin as build costs reduce.
the massive revenue potential from the Supercharger network
Tesla increasingly leveraging its AI and ML capabilities, and
tesla will eventually figure out FSD

AMIRZA786 (11-12-23)
Old 11-12-23, 10:56 AM
swajames
Pole Position

lol we posted similar thoughts at the same time @JeffKeryk
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (11-12-23), JeffKeryk (11-12-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread