EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 08:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't make me cringe at all. i am in awe of his honesty. he didn't have to do that and of course will take a ton of crap for doing so.

those who don't like him or his style (or cringe) remind me of jack nicholson's classic line from "a few good men"

i love the amount of irony and humor he finds in things.
You mean him telling advertisers to f off, (than looking at the audience for approval), and blaming them if X fails didn't make you cringe? I can't talk about the other stuff here, but I guess we saw two different interviews. He's basically trying to fix something he broke by breaking more stuff and pretending it was by design. Just my take

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-30-23 at 09:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
swajames (11-30-23), TriC (12-01-23)
Old 11-30-23, 09:11 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

I thought Musk did better than usual with the Cybertruck unveil today, albeit still not great because he’s a terrible public speaker, but the Sorkin interview was an absolute train wreck. How anyone even remotely sane could think otherwise escapes me.

This article sums things up pretty well.

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/ar...w-18524602.php
The following users liked this post:
TriC (12-01-23)
Old 11-30-23, 09:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I thought Musk did better than usual with the Cybertruck unveil today, albeit still not great because he’s a terrible public speaker, but the Sorkin interview was an absolute train wreck. How anyone even remotely sane could think otherwise escapes me.

A train wreck is being kind. I don't know what to say, I can't unsee that interview, I wish I never saw it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-30-23 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-01-23, 04:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
... the Sorkin interview was an absolute train wreck. How anyone even remotely sane could think otherwise escapes me.

it's viewed as an absolute train wreck by those who hate him or his views anyway. to those who like him it's viewed as "thank goodness someone is saying these things".

as for that sfgate screed... i'm sure drew magary is very successful. oh wait...

and i'm sure you agree with this part of that garbage article:

The Cybertruck is already not only a laughingstock, it’s also barely existent on the eve of its launch and, by your own admission, won’t turn a profit until a year and a half from now at the earliest. The Boring Company, established to make the Hyperloop a reality, has only built a glorified parking ramp in Vegas after burning through nearly $800 million in VC funding. Tesla’s revenues are sinking as the big automakers roll out their own EVs that are more appealing than your four-wheeled bachelor pads. Your company SpaceX will fail in its doomed mission to make humans a multiplanetary species, and its rockets won’t stop blowing up.
pure envy rage. trashing those who dare to accomplish hard things.

highlighted part at on that site made my chuckle:

wouldn't wish this on anyone but might explain his anger... (from description of his memoir book):

On the night of the 2018 Deadspin Awards, he suffered a mysterious fall that caused him to smash his head so hard on a cement floor that he cracked his skull in three places and suffered a catastrophic brain hemorrhage. For two weeks, he remained in a coma. The world was gone to him, and him to it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-01-23 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 04:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

this part of the musk interview is so on point.

white house doesn't invite tesla to a summit on electric vehicles?

Old 12-01-23, 06:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

didn't make me cringe at all. i am in awe of his honesty. he didn't have to do that and of course will take a ton of crap for doing so.

those who don't like him or his style (or cringe) remind me of jack nicholson's classic line from "a few good men"

i love the amount of irony and humor he finds in things.
I agree, I didn't cringe at all and I was laughing because no one has the ***** to say what he says although he does strike me as very awkward. As a shareholder I would probably have other thoughts but as a non-shareholder I actually like the honesty and like that he isn't going to be bullied into doing something he doesn't believe in just to make a buck.

Everyone is trying to take him down by whatever means necessary and some of it is borderline fraudulent which is kind of sad but that is the way the world is now. If you don't like someone, dig stuff up or make something up and try to take someone down.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 07:08 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

and i'm sure you agree with this part of that garbage article:
no, I don’t agree with some of that part of the article, he’s wrong on CyberTruck but mostly right about the Boring Company, but I do agree with much of the rest of it. Him being wrong or susceptible to hyperbole in parts doesn’t invalidate the entire article.

more to the point, the majority of coverage of the Sorkin interview reaches the same broad conclusion. It was an unhinged train wreck for the most part. This was but one example.
Old 12-01-23, 09:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree, I didn't cringe at all and I was laughing because no one has the ***** to say what he says although he does strike me as very awkward. As a shareholder I would probably have other thoughts but as a non-shareholder I actually like the honesty and like that he isn't going to be bullied into doing something he doesn't believe in just to make a buck.

Everyone is trying to take him down by whatever means necessary and some of it is borderline fraudulent which is kind of sad but that is the way the world is now. If you don't like someone, dig stuff up or make something up and try to take someone down.
There was absolutely no honesty in that interview. He put himself in the position where he had no choice but to play victim to his self inflicted wounds. Elon originally took some very bold stands (which he probably should not have, he should have known there would be backlash), than he folded when he was pressured by some groups and at the loss of very important advertisers, I can't really talk about that here. He essentially turned himself from Elon to what I would call Elon 2, and although he claimed he wasn't doing an "apology tour", that's exactly what he was doing. If you go on X, you will see the criticism he's been getting...from his own followers. He sold out his principles, the audience knew it, his followers know it, and the "Never Elon" crowd are relishing in it right now.

As a TSLA investor, I can tell you I'm not happy, the dude single handedly tanked the stock

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-01-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 10:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As a TSLA investor, I can tell you I'm not happy, the dude single handedly tanked the stock
You need to get out of TSLA for good wait until a reasonably green day and sell everything. You are extremely negative on Elon there is no reason to own the stock anymore why put yourself through the emotional stress? It is very clear you strongly believe Elon the person is massive negative and will overshadow any fundamentals Tesla has. Buy into another company that doesn't have an "Elon" to mess everything up.

On the stock tanking, what about other EV players like Rivian and Lucid what do you feel is responsible for their stock performance in the last couple of years?
Old 12-01-23, 10:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You need to get out of TSLA for good wait until a reasonably green day and sell everything. You are extremely negative on Elon there is no reason to own the stock anymore why put yourself through the emotional stress? It is very clear you strongly believe Elon the person is massive negative and will overshadow any fundamentals Tesla has. Buy into another company that doesn't have an "Elon" to mess everything up.

On the stock tanking, what about other EV players like Rivian and Lucid what do you feel is responsible for their stock performance in the last couple of years?
I don't own Rivian or Lucid. Welcome back bro, I missed you I was one click away from filing a missing persons report!
Old 12-01-23, 10:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I don't own Rivian or Lucid. Welcome back bro, I missed you I was one click away from filing a missing persons report!
I'm spending much more time in my echo chamber on X.

Also SELL all your TSLA you'll be much happier. Wait for some red days and buy into something like NVDA.
Old 12-01-23, 10:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm spending much more time in my echo chamber on X.
LoL I don't know if you are mad at me or just being facetious, but I'll take in the chin like a man

No, gonna hold on to my TSLA for now and complain every now and then
Old 12-01-23, 11:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

LoL I don't know if you are mad at me or just being facetious, but I'll take in the chin like a man
I'm being 100% serious, I don't know why you would hold TSLA given your disdain for Elon. No need to sugar coat it.
No, gonna hold on to my TSLA for now and complain every now and then
But why? Your own words he tanked the stock how do you know he won't tank it even worse at some point? I'd say there is a high probability he will end up embroiled in another viral storm the man says what he really believes no filter.
Old 12-01-23, 11:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm being 100% serious, I don't know why you would hold TSLA given your disdain for Elon. No need to sugar coat it.

But why? Your own words he tanked the stock how do you know he won't tank it even worse at some point? I'd say there is a high probability he will end up embroiled in another viral storm the man says what he really believes no filter.
Because I'm not selling. I've been holding since 2020, I'll keep holding, even if Elon has diarrhea of the mouth
Old 12-01-23, 11:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Because I'm not selling. I've been holding since 2020, I'll keep holding, even if Elon has diarrhea of the mouth
I won't let this go, tell me why you're not selling.

From my perspective the negativity cycle is a short term buying opportunity. There was a bunch of negativity recently (don't remember exactly what it was) I bought a bunch at $197.97 and sold at $248. Waiting for the next sky is falling opportunity. Great thing is I'm buying a stock I hold long term anyway so if I don't buy/sell on the curve doesn't matter I have more of the stock I like. Not financial advice talk to a financial expert don't listen to me.
You mean him telling advertisers to f off, (than looking at the audience for approval), and blaming them if X fails didn't make you cringe?
He told advertisers to go love themselves tenderly if they think he can be bribed. He didn't carte blanche tell them all to F off.

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-01-23 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread