EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 07:39 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

In five years time, Tesla will still be the market leader with a reduced overall share of what will then be a larger market, which means continued growth over that period while retaining the strongest margins amongst its competitors.
The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (12-03-23), Hameed (12-03-23), LeX2K (12-03-23)
Old 12-03-23, 08:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure the average buying age of teslas is younger than other brands... young, affluent... exactly what all automakers crave. toyota buyers are older, 'sensible' and cautious, and they'll hang onto those for a good while, but those buyers a) tend to keep their cars a looong time, and b) are getting old. funny thing is though, most older drivers don't drive very far and if they have a house and can install a charger, an ev is better, cheaper to own, and extremely reliable, but fear of the unknown keeps them from looking into one.
My wife and I are pretty much in that "B" category. My wife has already retired and I will be in the next couple years. It made perfect sense to purchase our Y and we couldn't be happier with our decision. There's actually quite a bit of diversity among EV buyers in our area. I see many older people driving them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
AMIRZA786 (12-03-23), JeffKeryk (12-04-23)
Old 12-03-23, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
My wife and I are pretty much in that "B" category. My wife has already retired and I will be in the next couple years. It made perfect sense to purchase our Y and we couldn't be happier with our decision. There's actually quite a bit of diversity among EV buyers in our area. I see many older people driving them.
i get what you're saying, more affluent people owning homes have the convenience of home charging and so many people of all ages don't drive a ton of miles these days so ev's make sense for more people than realize it, but still, vast majority aren't ready to switch yet.

Old 12-03-23, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
In five years time, Tesla will still be the market leader with a reduced overall share of what will then be a larger market, which means continued growth over that period while retaining the strongest margins amongst its competitors.
as we've discussed, that's the straight line extrapolation from here... plus i think you're only referring to the u.s.?

globally tesla has biggest marketshare but not by much now, and 'others' in this charge are 3x tesla so i'd say tesla's #1 spot is by no means a sure thing in 5 years.

source: https://www.counterpointresearch.com...-market-share/
Old 12-04-23, 07:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

so many people of all ages don't drive a ton of miles these days so ev's make sense for more people than realize it, but still, vast majority aren't ready to switch yet.
That has less to do with making sense, and more to do with being afraid of change and political beliefs. There are a few that like to comment in this forum that will never give up their ICE. They will be the new Amish in a few years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
bitkahuna (12-04-23), LexBob2 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That has less to do with making sense, and more to do with being afraid of change and political beliefs. There are a few that like to comment in this forum that will never give up their ICE. They will be the new Amish in a few years.
oh i agree. first question everyone asks me about my ev is "how far will it go?" (and i bet none of them have drive 200mi. in a day in years ). second question - where do you get it charged?
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 07:20 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

All this of course depends upon how you define “leader”. Tesla has mindshare as well as market share, they feature in every conversation and article discussing EVs and the EV industry, and their brand essentially defines the industry. They are setting pricing strategy for the industry because they broadly control the pricing strategy for the industry given their unique ability to leverage price as a weapon. They are the only manufacturer with an extensive charging network that’s about to become yet another significant revenue stream. And just like there was a time when more than 100% of the entire cellphone industry profit accrued to Apple because everyone else was losing money, that’s the position that Tesla largely finds itself in now.

and all this has happened without any representation in the small car or truck segments, which Tesla will support with the upcoming model 2 and Cybertruck.

Leadership is multi-dimensional and multi-faceted, Tesla has more check marks in more boxes than any other. It’s going to be a long time before anyone else is in this position, and until anyone else is, Tesla is going to remain the de facto industry leader regardless of whether they are overtaken by someone else on any individual metric.
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 07:27 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

as we've discussed, that's the straight line extrapolation from here... plus i think you're only referring to the u.s.?

globally tesla has biggest marketshare but not by much now, and 'others' in this charge are 3x tesla so i'd say tesla's #1 spot is by no means a sure thing in 5 years.
source: https://www.counterpointresearch.com...-market-share/
I see your point, but a deeper look into the numbers shows only Tesla makes a profit on EV; others lose billions. Worse, they have old, distributed factories. Upgrades, procurement, management and staffing nightmares.
Now, in 2025 we might see the Model 2, or whatever Tesla calls it. Tesla is easily 10 years ahead of any competition.

Interesting times ahead...
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 05:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I see your point, but a deeper look into the numbers shows only Tesla makes a profit on EV; others lose billions. Worse, they have old, distributed factories. Upgrades, procurement, management and staffing nightmares.
Now, in 2025 we might see the Model 2, or whatever Tesla calls it. Tesla is easily 10 years ahead of any competition.

Interesting times ahead...
what deeper look? byd is not losing money anymore
Old 12-04-23, 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
what deeper look? byd is not losing money anymore
What are margins for their EV only business?
Old 12-05-23, 05:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What are margins for their EV only business?
You tell me? What are they?
Also, this year they will be market leader in EVs worldwide.

Somehow while Tesla was building momentum, margins didnt matter and they were calculated in some weird way, now when you have BYD selling more BEVs than Tesla, it is all about margins.

And?
Old 12-05-23, 05:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

BYD logged 22.12% in third-quarter gross profit margin, compared with 18.73% in the second quarter, according to Reuters' analysis of the automaker's financial disclosure.

By comparison, Tesla's gross margin, hit by aggressive price cuts particularly in China, stood at 17.9% in the quarter ended September, shy of analyst forecasts of over 18% and down from 18.2% in the second quarter.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china...102634880.html
Old 12-05-23, 06:30 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You tell me? What are they?
Also, this year they will be market leader in EVs worldwide.

Somehow while Tesla was building momentum, margins didnt matter and they were calculated in some weird way, now when you have BYD selling more BEVs than Tesla, it is all about margins.

And?
You have to remember 5 basic fundamentals.

1. When you place an order for a Tesla and you have to wait months it's because of unlimited demand.

​​​​​​2. When you place an order for a Tesla and can receive it in a week it's because of how quickly they have been able to scale because of their vertical integration.

3. When Tesla reduces their prices it's not due to falling demand (remember point 1, the demand is unlimited) it's to eliminate the competition.

4. When another EV automaker is gaining in sales, it's because they are losing money on every EV they sell and they can't come close to Tesla margins.

5. Tesla is the most advanced automobile on the road and any short comings can be overlooked because they are 10 years ahead of every other automaker.

Bonus: another EV might look better on paper but they don't have full access or any access at all to Tesla supercharging network although we charge 99% from home. So in the end Tesla is still the best vehicle and EV on the road and any other choice is the wrong one.

Before you say anything negative about Tesla, review these basic fundamentals and you can turn that negative comment into a positive one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blaze876:
bitkahuna (12-05-23), Mike728 (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 06:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blaze876
You have to remember 5 basic fundamentals.

1. When you place an order for a Tesla and you have to wait months it's because of unlimited demand.

​​​​​​2. When you place an order for a Tesla and can receive it in a week it's because of how quickly they have been able to scale because of their vertical integration.

3. When Tesla reduces their prices it's not due to falling demand (remember point 1, the demand is unlimited) it's to eliminate the competition.

4. When another EV automaker is gaining in sales, it's because they are losing money on every EV they sell and they can't come close to Tesla margins.

5. Tesla is the most advanced automobile on the road and any short comings can be overlooked because they are 10 years ahead of every other automaker.

Bonus: another EV might look better on paper but they don't have full access or any access at all to Tesla supercharging network although we charge 99% from home. So in the end Tesla is still the best vehicle and EV on the road and any other choice is the wrong one.

Before you say anything negative about Tesla, review these basic fundamentals and you can turn that negative comment into a positive one.
LOL, There is some of that going on here, but nothing like on the Tesla forums. It gets out of hand at times, all the excuses people make. I've never seen anything like it. While I love our Y, I'm looking forward to some real competition. Hyundai/Kia are right there. They just need to get their sales model in line.
AMIRZA786 (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 06:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 758 Likes on 528 Posts

LOL, There is some of that going on here, but nothing like on the Tesla forums. It gets out of hand at times, all the excuses people make. I've never seen anything like it. While I love our Y, I'm looking forward to some real competition. Hyundai/Kia are right there. They just need to get their sales model in line.
I really liked my 3P, I love my R1S and when the supercharger network is opened up to me (aside from magic docks) it'll be even better.
swajames (12-05-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread