EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 07:03 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
LOL, There is some of that going on here, but nothing like on the Tesla forums. It gets out of hand at times, all the excuses people make. I've never seen anything like it. While I love our Y, I'm looking forward to some real competition. Hyundai/Kia are right there. They just need to get their sales model in line.
Lol yeah I think my annoyance for that here is because I am also a user on Reddit and it's rampant there. Don't get me started on Twitter / X but I rarely use it anyway.

The only logical reasons I can come up with it's many are shareholders so they defend the brand at all cost. Second reason is Tesla do get a significant amount of ignorant negative comments from others so Tesla fans go to the other extreme to defend the brand.

The model 3 is probably the best value of any vehicle right now, especially if you qualify for the incentives. I do prefer the ioniq 5 and Ev6 over the Y but it's mainly because of looks both interior and exterior. Kia/Hyundai continued struggles of reliability and the Kia boys crap would probably keep me away from either though lol.

I've already shared my thoughts about the cybertruck on its own thread. Imo I just think Tesla should have followed the model 3/Y formula. Release a pick up that's maverick sized, based on the 3/Y. It wouldn't require even half the investment, could have release it a lot quicker and dominate the market even more.
​​​
Old 12-05-23, 07:03 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
You have to remember 5 basic fundamentals.

1. When you place an order for a Tesla and you have to wait months it's because of unlimited demand.

​​​​​​2. When you place an order for a Tesla and can receive it in a week it's because of how quickly they have been able to scale because of their vertical integration.

3. When Tesla reduces their prices it's not due to falling demand (remember point 1, the demand is unlimited) it's to eliminate the competition.

4. When another EV automaker is gaining in sales, it's because they are losing money on every EV they sell and they can't come close to Tesla margins.

5. Tesla is the most advanced automobile on the road and any short comings can be overlooked because they are 10 years ahead of every other automaker.

Bonus: another EV might look better on paper but they don't have full access or any access at all to Tesla supercharging network although we charge 99% from home. So in the end Tesla is still the best vehicle and EV on the road and any other choice is the wrong one.

Before you say anything negative about Tesla, review these basic fundamentals and you can turn that negative comment into a positive one.
The Cybertruck will be the most advanced automobile on the road. Current Teslas, including the almost decade old Model S and Model X, are not that advanced anymore compared to their peers, OVERALL. There are a few areas they excel in, sure, but as a whole, there are many other EVs on the road that are more advanced, that have more tech, that charge faster, that have longer range, that have better build quality, better materials, etc.

There are lots of better cars out there and more are coming, Tesla really needs to catch up and stay competitive, IMO, especially since they're opening up Supercharger access to other vehicles. The only exception to this is Cybertruck and everything they've got going on there. Nothing like Cybertruck has ever existed, and nothing will come close for a while most likely. Cybertruck will be the most advanced vehicle to hit the road ever.
Old 12-05-23, 08:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

LOL, There is some of that going on here, but nothing like on the Tesla forums. It gets out of hand at times, all the excuses people make. I've never seen anything like it. While I love our Y, I'm looking forward to some real competition. Hyundai/Kia are right there. They just need to get their sales model in line.
I totally agree, competition is extremely important to me. As you know, I own several different EV's (Polestar 2, Hyundai Ioniq 5, and daughter owns a Bolt EUV) and I've driven a bunch more. What would keep me from buying another non Tesla is 1) having to deal with a Stealership and 2) Charging infrastructure. Fix those two issues, and game on
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 08:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
The Cybertruck will be the most advanced automobile on the road. Current Teslas, including the almost decade old Model S and Model X, are not that advanced anymore compared to their peers, OVERALL. There are a few areas they excel in, sure, but as a whole, there are many other EVs on the road that are more advanced, that have more tech, that charge faster, that have longer range, that have better build quality, better materials, etc.

There are lots of better cars out there and more are coming, Tesla really needs to catch up and stay competitive, IMO, especially since they're opening up Supercharger access to other vehicles. The only exception to this is Cybertruck and everything they've got going on there. Nothing like Cybertruck has ever existed, and nothing will come close for a while most likely. Cybertruck will be the most advanced vehicle to hit the road ever.
I just can't deal with s h i t t y dealerships anymore. I can put up with sub par infrastructure as I mostly charge at home and would only use superchargers maybe 3 or 4 times in a year, but having to deal with a dealership that adds zero benefit and sucks my time like a vampire is a deal breaker for me
Old 12-05-23, 09:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Lol yeah I think my annoyance for that here is because I am also a user on Reddit and it's rampant there. Don't get me started on Twitter / X but I rarely use it anyway.

The only logical reasons I can come up with it's many are shareholders so they defend the brand at all cost. Second reason is Tesla do get a significant amount of ignorant negative comments from others so Tesla fans go to the other extreme to defend the brand.

The model 3 is probably the best value of any vehicle right now, especially if you qualify for the incentives. I do prefer the ioniq 5 and Ev6 over the Y but it's mainly because of looks both interior and exterior. Kia/Hyundai continued struggles of reliability and the Kia boys crap would probably keep me away from either though lol.

I've already shared my thoughts about the cybertruck on its own thread. Imo I just think Tesla should have followed the model 3/Y formula. Release a pick up that's maverick sized, based on the 3/Y. It wouldn't require even half the investment, could have release it a lot quicker and dominate the market even more.
​​​
But isn't that the case in any forum? When I owned a Civic Si, according to the forum members it was the best car in the world and any other car was trashed. In fact there is a member stalking me from CivicX forum to this day after I sold my Civic and went to Lexus (IS350). Same in the Polestar forum where I belong (where they trash Tesla all day long), and even here in CL there are people who get all bunched up if there is any criticisms of Toyota/Lexus. This is common in all forums and not unique to Tesla owners. Go to any forum, BMW, VW, ect and say something negative about those cars and we'll talk

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-05-23 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-05-23, 09:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
But isn't that the case in any forum? When I owned a Civic Si, according to the forum members it was the best car in the world and any other car was trashed. Same in the Polestar forum where I belong (where they trash Tesla all day long), and even here in CL there are people who get all bunched up if there is any criticisms of Toyota/Lexus. This is common in all forums and not unique to Tesla owners
I'm on and have been on probably 10 - 15 different vehicle forums. The Tesla forums are by far the most over the top protective of their brand I've witnessed. Nothing even comes close, but I've heard BMW is also pretty bad. I've not been there.
Old 12-05-23, 09:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm on and have been on probably 10 - 15 different vehicle forums. The Tesla forums are by far the most over the top protective of their brand I've witnessed. Nothing even comes close, but I've heard BMW is also pretty bad. I've not been there.
You haven't been to a Honda forum, especially the Civic Si subforum. This dude has been stalking me since I sold my Si....back in 2019 Lol!

He's been banned at least 10 times, and creates new accounts. He's followed me to the Polestar forum where he dug up almost 2 year old posts. He hasn't found my CL posts yet, but I'm sure he will. Civic owners, especially Si owners are nuts. They think the Si is king, and are fanatical about it
Old 12-05-23, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Somehow while Tesla was building momentum, margins didnt matter and they were calculated in some weird way, now when you have BYD selling more BEVs than Tesla, it is all about margins.
haha great observation. goalposts moved...

Originally Posted by Allen K
I really liked my 3P, I love my R1S and when the supercharger network is opened up to me (aside from magic docks) it'll be even better.
how many times have you charged your r1s away from home?

Tesla really needs to catch up and stay competitive...
defenders of the flame will say tesla was so far ahead they couldn't possibly need to 'catch up', but yeah, things get old. the x imo has been superceded by the mercedes eqs suv (although x is bigger inside i think) which is way more luxurious. s has been superceded or caught by lucid air (although air doesn't have the software) in terms of materials, even speed.

i wonder if tesla is actively working on upgrades/replacements for s and x?

Cybertruck will be the most advanced vehicle to hit the road ever.
what do you base this on?
48v low voltage architecture?
steel exterior (cough, delorean, cough)?
rear steer (many have it)?
crazy looks (take a number lol)?
value? no
speed? guess so

I just can't deal with s h i t t y dealerships anymore. I can put up with sub par infrastructure as I mostly charge at home and would only use superchargers maybe 3 or 4 times in a year, but having to deal with a dealership that adds zero benefit and sucks my time like a vampire is a deal breaker for me
so we know you had a sucky experience getting your ioniq, but you could alway pay a broker to do the deal for you. might be worth the $500 or whatever to have nothing to do with it. i mean dealing with dealerships for after sale stuff / service usually is fine.
AMIRZA786 (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 09:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You tell me? What are they?
Also, this year they will be market leader in EVs worldwide.

Somehow while Tesla was building momentum, margins didnt matter and they were calculated in some weird way, now when you have BYD selling more BEVs than Tesla, it is all about margins.

And?
You must be loading up BYDDY.
Old 12-05-23, 09:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Also keep in mind, Tesla owners are constantly attacked, they have to listen to tons of lies and misinformation, even from fellow EV owners. Go to the Polestar forum and announce that you own a Tesla, and you are trashed by a bunch of members. They also have to deal with people keying their cars, pushing shopping carts into them, road rage, and people ICEing Tesla chargers, which I've seen with my very own eyes.

Yes, there are those that worship Elon (which you will mostly find in online forums), but most Tesla owners I personally know don't even think about Elon, and he had nothing to do with their purchase
Old 12-05-23, 09:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so we know you had a sucky experience getting your ioniq, but you could alway pay a broker to do the deal for you. might be worth the $500 or whatever to have nothing to do with it. i mean dealing with dealerships for after sale stuff / service usually is fine.
That actually sounds like a great idea! I'll research that option. The amount of time it takes dealing with a dealership is more than $500 for sure
Old 12-05-23, 09:52 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

For me, the ease of acquiring a Tesla doesn't outweigh their cons. If I have to work a little harder for a better car, I'm not opposed to having to do that.

That said, we had such a fantastic experience getting our EQS SUV from Mercedes Benz of Sioux Falls in South Dakota. They were so awesome from start to finish. It only took 2 emails for them to give me the deal I was looking for. Then we got there and there were no surprises and no nasty sales tactics. We were in and out of there in 10 or 15 minutes. The finance guy was SO nice, didn't try to make us purchase a single additional warranty or anything like that. It was the fastest, easiest, and most pleasant non-Tesla buying experience I've ever had.

They are few and far between but good dealers DO exist.

what do you base this on?
48v low voltage architecture?
rear steer (many have it)?
crazy looks (take a number lol)?
value? no
speed? guess so
"Cybertruck will be the most advanced vehicle to hit the road ever"

I base that on...

-Manufacturing methods: using air to shape the stainless steel body panels, single piece front casting, single piece rear casting, structural battery pack
-Material usage: STRUCTURAL stainless steel exo-skeleton is so strong that they don't need side crash structures in the doors anymore. It also is dent-proof, hail-proof, and can withstand bullets (not all, I get it)
-Never before seen switch to 48V. A lot of OEMs have 48V engine this or 48V suspension that. EVERYTHING on the Cybertruck is 48V. Seat motors, airbags, window motors, etc etc etc. All the little things
-Steer-by-wire in combination with 10 degrees of rear-wheel steering. Lock to lock without having to shuffle your hands. This will be game-changing and probably the most notable thing about the way it drives. It will feel unlike anything else, especially unlike any other truck
-350kW fast charging, 800V architecture
-It can perform well on-road, off-road, in Baja off-road racing type of settings, etc. Has over 17 inches of ground clearance

...just to name a few things. It is 100% the most advanced Tesla to hit the road ever.

I actually find it to be a pretty good value compared to other current truck offerings. Trucks are expensive, ICE or EV. Cybertruck is no different in this regard.
The following 4 users liked this post by signdetres:
AMIRZA786 (12-05-23), bitkahuna (12-05-23), Hameed (12-05-23), LeX2K (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 09:58 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I find it hard to believe that it would be a deal breaker. If there was a vehicle you like just as much as a model y, that MSRP for 4k less which you will be able to get at MSRP after 4 hours of haggling at the dealership, you would rather pay 4k more for a car you like just as much?

But isn't that the case in any forum? When I owned a Civic Si, according to the forum members it was the best car in the world and any other car was trashed. In fact there is a member stalking me from CivicX forum to this day after I sold my Civic and went to Lexus (IS350). Same in the Polestar forum where I belong (where they trash Tesla all day long), and even here in CL there are people who get all bunched up if there is any criticisms of Toyota/Lexus. This is common in all forums and not unique to Tesla owners. Go to any forum, BMW, VW, ect and say something negative about those cars and we'll talk
To an extent yes that's true. But Tesla owners / fans take it to another level I have never seen.

The only other forums I have been in the past few years is Mercedes and BMW and yeah they are fanatics. But some negative comments seem to be for most part universally accepted. Bmw current design direction is widely frowned upon in the forums the last time I've been in it. Mercedes subreddit widely accepts that Mercedes has an interior creaking issue lol....going off on a tangent is it just me or Mercedes interiors just don't hold up after 6-8 years?

Toyota / Lexus forums seems to widely accept some negative aspects as well but falls back on the excuse at least it's reliable lol.

There is a difference between accepting a car faults but liking it because of everything else. But forums for Teslas turn those faults into pros. I mean simple things as creaks gets excused because Teslas are quiet and maybe you didn't notice creaks in your previous cars because the ICE engine drowns it out lol. Removal of USS gets rid of those ugly circles on your bumper covers for a cleaner look.
Old 12-05-23, 10:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

For me, the ease of acquiring a Tesla doesn't outweigh their cons. If I have to work a little harder for a better car, I'm not opposed to having to do that.

That said, we had such a fantastic experience getting our EQS SUV from Mercedes Benz of Sioux Falls in South Dakota. They were so awesome from start to finish. It only took 2 emails for them to give me the deal I was looking for. Then we got there and there were no surprises and no nasty sales tactics. We were in and out of there in 10 or 15 minutes. The finance guy was SO nice, didn't try to make us purchase a single additional warranty or anything like that. It was the fastest, easiest, and most pleasant non-Tesla buying experience I've ever had.

They are few and far between but good dealers DO exist.
You're the first Tesla owner I've talked to that is extremely negative towards their Tesla. Even @patgilm who's had a crap load of issues with his Plaid loves the thing and would get another one. That EQS must be amazing . Not judging, I take the position that not everyone is going to like a Tesla, which is perfectly fine. I guess the EQS is just that good

I'm glad you had a good dealership experience. In more than 30 years of buying cars, I've never spent less than minimum 4 hours negotiating. Many times I've had to get up and walk out to get the deal I want. That's just not how I want to do things anymore, this 2023, not 1990
Old 12-05-23, 10:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Might as well compare a stainless steel sink to Starship.

signdetres (12-05-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread