EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 06:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Tesla is one of those companies that gets punished for even the slightest bad news and rewarded only if it way outperforms expectations. Oh well, buying opportunity.... turning lemons into lemonade

They do need though to refresh the model Y, S, and X quickly
Old 01-24-24, 06:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,926 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Y is confirmed the best selling car of 2023 not sure they need to do much there. S and X were updated recently. Tesla is failing at raising awareness, it's a low hanging fruit argument we see over and over but it's also true. Tesla is reaching the saturation point of people interested in EVs or at least it looks that way. The cars themselves are not the problem.
Old 01-24-24, 06:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Y is confirmed the best selling car of 2023 not sure they need to do much there. S and X were updated recently. Tesla is failing at raising awareness, it's a low hanging fruit argument we see over and over but it's also true. Tesla is reaching the saturation point of people interested in EVs or at least it looks that way. The cars themselves are not the problem.
I don't think the cars are a problem at all, refreshes would attract new interest, I know a lot of people who were waiting for Project Highland, and waited out 2023. Also IMO the X needs some visual updates, I can tell the difference between a 2019 and 2023, but only if I get up close
Old 01-24-24, 07:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't think the cars are a problem at all, refreshes would attract new interest, I know a lot of people who were waiting for Project Highland, and waited out 2023. Also IMO the X needs some visual updates, I can tell the difference between a 2019 and 2023, but only if I get up close
This confuses me. Cars are not the problem but need updating?
Old 01-24-24, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

early adopters put up with the crackerjack interiors and bogus range numbers (even if they comply with incompetent epa). mainstream wants better.
highand delivers better interior and design, but as competition grows, Y needs it too, and STAT.
Old 01-24-24, 07:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Yep, and the crazy thing is the "miss" is marginal, is only a miss against "analyst expectations", and the results themselves were objectively solid - but this being Tesla, the sky is falling.....
nothing crazy at all... if a company is priced for perfection, anything less is gonna hurt. at a 67 p/e as of now, that's vastly higher than anyone else i think. (just checked, toyota at 10 for example)

but yeah, down 10% in after hours.
Old 01-24-24, 07:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
early adopters put up with the crackerjack interiors and bogus range numbers (even if they comply with incompetent epa). mainstream wants better.
highand delivers better interior and design, but as competition grows, Y needs it too, and STAT.
Model Y sales are crashing? Sounds bad.
Old 01-24-24, 08:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This confuses me. Cars are not the problem but need updating?
So there is absolutely nothing Tesla needs to improve? Like continually improving suspension, road noise, batteries etc? Improve aerodynamics? Maybe tweaking looks? Yes, the model X looks have begun to age
Old 01-24-24, 09:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

So there is absolutely nothing Tesla needs to improve? Like continually improving suspension, road noise, batteries etc? Improve aerodynamics? Maybe tweaking looks? Yes, the model X looks have begun to age
I am certainly not saying this. The argument that Model Y has a sales problem due to being dated is nuts, completely disconnected from reality. Looks are subjective, I think the X looks way way better than most high end SUVs out there.

Should Tesla go for a look similar to this?
Old 01-24-24, 09:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I am certainly not saying this. The argument that Model Y has a sales problem due to being dated is nuts, completely disconnected from reality. Looks are subjective, I think the X looks way way better than most high end SUVs out there.

Should Tesla go for a look similar to this?
I never said that. Model Y is the number one selling car here in California. And apparently the world.

On the second part, I'm not saying make it look like it's competitors. You can refresh it's looks while keeping it unique, like they did Highland. Anyway I don't want to argue about this, it's just silly
Old 01-24-24, 09:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I thought we were discussing not arguing. I've said many times I think Tesla needs to tweak their styling a bit more often, this fools people into thinking a given model is new. One of the oldest tricks in the book, auto makers claim their car is "all new' when in reality it is anything but. Highland is 70% new but looks very similar. I question why Tesla didn't update the Model Y first, I think this was a mistake.

But the root of the problem IMO is ignorance or misconceptions about EVs, Model Y is still better than almost every vehicle on the road IMO. It's not something you can put into specs, or point to a single attribute it's the entire package. When I want to go somewhere, hopping in the Y is the most stress free way to get there I've ever experienced.

And I'll say it again, Tesla's goal is AI in their cars and other machines. If you don't think they can pull that off then I would advise investing in a different company. Yes Tesla tries my patience but then I look at how patience has rewarded me.
Old 01-24-24, 09:47 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I thought we were discussing not arguing. I've said many times I think Tesla needs to tweak their styling a bit more often, this fools people into thinking a given model is new. One of the oldest tricks in the book, auto makers claim their car is "all new' when in reality it is anything but. Highland is 70% new but looks very similar. I question why Tesla didn't update the Model Y first, I think this was a mistake.

But the root of the problem IMO is ignorance or misconceptions about EVs, Model Y is still better than almost every vehicle on the road IMO. It's not something you can put into specs, or point to a single attribute it's the entire package. When I want to go somewhere, hopping in the Y is the most stress free way to get there I've ever experienced.

And I'll say it again, Tesla's goal is AI in their cars and other machines. If you don't think they can pull that off then I would advise investing in a different company. Yes Tesla tries my patience but then I look at how patience has rewarded me.
I'm just tired bro, so apologies about the tone.

I agree with the above. Despite some of its shortcomings, it's the best car I've ever owned. Period. Solid and reliable. Efficient and fun. And I would buy another one in a heartbeat
Old 01-24-24, 09:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just tired bro, so apologies about the tone.
Not necessary.
I agree with the above. Despite some of its shortcomings, it's the best car I've ever owned. Period. Solid and reliable. Efficient and fun. And I would buy another one in a heartbeat
Most people don't know this and Tesla seems mostly oblivious to it as well. Elon talks endlessly about interest rates and affordability, well sure but you can't sell your cars to people able to afford them if they don't know about your cars.

Very telling is on the earnings call no 2024 expected production number was given. That means Tesla expects maybe 2.2 million. On the plus side Tesla is raking in the cash.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 10:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Not necessary.

Most people don't know this and Tesla seems mostly oblivious to it as well. Elon talks endlessly about interest rates and affordability, well sure but you can't sell your cars to people able to afford them if they don't know about your cars.

Very telling is on the earnings call no 2024 expected production number was given. That means Tesla expects maybe 2.2 million. On the plus side Tesla is raking in the cash.
I definitely now think Tesla needs to put efforts in advertising and education. Lexus has yearly driving events that attract a lot of people, they let you drive everything in their lineup. That's how I got hands my on an LC500, RCF, and an LS500. Tesla should do something similar, talk about the car, it's features, let them kick the tires and drive it.
Old 01-25-24, 04:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i agree that tesla's biggest problem is consumer education (the lack of it).

if you get people driving ev's, getting questions answered, they'll be much more likely to buy one.

i'd bet 99% of people have never driven an ev.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-25-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread