EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23 | 07:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by swajames
Not sure there's a story here (plus, if you read it, it's talking about the original Tesla Roadster). The actual issue is the focus on the range estimates, which most EV owners refer to as the GOM or Guessometer, rather than on efficiency and state of charge. If you know your SOC and you know your average miles per kWh over time you can drive and plan accordingly. Manufacturers often tweak range algorithms, we've had a couple of updates from Ford that specifically addressed distance to empty calculations since I got my Lightning. And of course, no one ever seems to remember that your mileage in your ICE cars is also an estimate and that your actual range may vary based on conditions and driving.
That's why I switched to % instead of mile range as soon as I could
The following users liked this post:
swajames (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23 | 08:22 AM
TriC
Racer

Here's the original, far more detailed, report by Reuters:

Tesla’s secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints (reuters.com)

The following users liked this post:
patgilm (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23 | 08:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

that's an extremely interesting read - thanks for sharing.
Great read! The car IMHO is just simply amazing, so much so that I'm willing to overlook Elon being an ***. But it is still problematic, because I personally know people who won't buy a Tesla simply because of their intense hate of Elon, founded or unfounded. Thousands of customers that could have been Tesla owners buying EV's from rivals and willing to suffer crappy charging networks based on their dislike of him
Old 07-27-23 | 08:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

To prevent drivers from getting stranded as their predicted range started declining more quickly, Teslas were designed with a “safety buffer,” allowing about 15 miles (24 km) of additional range even after the dash readout showed an empty battery, the source said.
this is pretty funny... welcome to the world of ICE cars and last 20 years where manufacturers have had crazy high buffers so people dont get stranded out of gas... easy 40-60 miles on a new vehicle these days.

I am glad i dont own any Tesla stock so I dont have to fight about this on forums.

For both EPA and WLTP, they all game the system, but drivers generally like the Tesla the best due to usually the best efficiency. There are many, many different magazine tests that compare official range vs their tested range, Tesla is usually better one:
https://www.whatcar.com/news/electri...r-range/n24274

There are many, many tests like above, usually Tesla is shed in good light in these.
Old 07-27-23 | 09:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
That's why I switched to % instead of mile range as soon as I could
I also only look at percentage, as estimated range is just that...estimated and constantly changes based on conditions...and how hard you put your foot down. But I have figured out on average that with my driving style, 255 miles would be safe bet
Old 07-27-23 | 11:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TriC
Here's the original, far more detailed, report by Reuters:

Tesla’s secret team to suppress thousands of driving range complaints (reuters.com)
Really adds nothing, it's essentially new owner unfamiliarity with range relative to conditions. You see this topic every day on owner forums. Estimated range is just that, your actual range is what matters.

As to the article, it ends with this:

"After doing more research into range estimates, he said he ultimately concluded there is nothing wrong with his car. The problem, he said, was that Tesla is overstating its performance. He believes Tesla “should be a lot more explicit about the variation in the range,” especially in very cold weather.“I do love my Tesla,” the engineer said. “But I have just tempered my expectation of what it can do in certain conditions.”

Literally nothing to see here. The range wasn't necessarily overstated all. The owner didn't seem to appreciate that potential range is dependent upon conditions and driving, and that it will adapt as you drive.
Old 07-27-23 | 12:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks to James Stevenson on X for this (article is pay walled). The headline doesn't make sense, but tl;dr Tesla is the only luxury brand not to lose customers to another. I don't want to hear whining about the luxury brand designation that's not me saying it.

The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (07-27-23), Mike728 (07-27-23)
Old 07-27-23 | 03:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Really adds nothing, it's essentially new owner unfamiliarity with range relative to conditions. You see this topic every day on owner forums. Estimated range is just that, your actual range is what matters.

As to the article, it ends with this:

"After doing more research into range estimates, he said he ultimately concluded there is nothing wrong with his car. The problem, he said, was that Tesla is overstating its performance. He believes Tesla “should be a lot more explicit about the variation in the range,” especially in very cold weather.“I do love my Tesla,” the engineer said. “But I have just tempered my expectation of what it can do in certain conditions.”

Literally nothing to see here. The range wasn't necessarily overstated all. The owner didn't seem to appreciate that potential range is dependent upon conditions and driving, and that it will adapt as you drive.
Sorry, when you tout how many miles to a full charge and it doesn’t get close I don’t fault the driver. I’ve tested and mine isn’t close as well as many owners I’ve talked to. It is what it is but don’t blame the owner for reading the impossible to achieve range ever.
Old 07-27-23 | 03:24 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
Sorry, when you tout how many miles to a full charge and it doesn’t get close I don’t fault the driver. I’ve tested and mine isn’t close as well as many owners I’ve talked to. It is what it is but don’t blame the owner for reading the impossible to achieve range ever.
But the point is it's not impossible to achieve. It's really no different to how long will the gas in your tank will take you. The answer, in both cases, is it depends.
Old 07-27-23 | 03:27 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

But the point is it's not impossible to achieve. It's really no different to how long will the gas in your tank will take you. The answer, in both cases, is it depends.
In my experience it isn’t even close. My ICE cars were way more realistic.
Old 07-27-23 | 06:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The car IMHO is just simply amazing, so much so that I'm willing to overlook Elon being an ***.
feel free to pm me why you think he's an ***.

But it is still problematic, because I personally know people who won't buy a Tesla simply because of their intense hate of Elon, founded or unfounded.
i don't get the hate. the man has brought internet to the entire planet, has revolutionized and massively cost reduced space travel, and has revolutionized the car business, and made a difference in storage batteries, solar roof tiles, and so much more..

Thousands of customers that could have been Tesla owners buying EV's from rivals and willing to suffer crappy charging networks based on their dislike of him
yes that's pretty irrational. but when elon musk became the 'cult of personality' for the hoards buying teslas sight unseen to join the faithful, it cuts both ways. obviously now tesla is mainstream, musk is less 'relevant' and even less visible than in the past. i mean do people consider the ceo's of other companies before buying those? steve jobs was a completely awful person (even denying his own daughter was his!) but people worshipped him.
Old 07-27-23 | 06:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
feel free to pm me why you think he's an ***.

i don't get the hate. the man has brought internet to the entire planet, has revolutionized and massively cost reduced space travel, and has revolutionized the car business, and made a difference in storage batteries, solar roof tiles, and so much more..

yes that's pretty irrational. but when elon musk became the 'cult of personality' for the hoards buying teslas sight unseen to join the faithful, it cuts both ways. obviously now tesla is mainstream, musk is less 'relevant' and even less visible than in the past. i mean do people consider the ceo's of other companies before buying those? steve jobs was a completely awful person (even denying his own daughter was his!) but people worshipped him.
I meant it in a playful manner. Certainly his Twitter acquisition caused some heartburn (as an investor), but overall I agree that people's blind hate for him is a bit insane. I don't get the hate either, no one has yet to articulate to me the reason except to call him a hate monger and **** without explaining how they came up with those titles

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-27-23 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-27-23 | 07:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

People are so fickle, Elon was always an *** but people loved/worshipped him. Now that he makes some comments that may not align with sone people thoughts they hate him. I don’t care what he says one way or the other but he does make me laugh so there’s that.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (07-27-23), LeX2K (07-29-23)
Old 07-29-23 | 07:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla solar is so awesome. And so expensive. I want it.

The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (07-29-23), Mike728 (07-29-23)
Old 07-30-23 | 06:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla solar is so awesome. And so expensive. I want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJeSWbR6W04
Funny I just watched the same video this morning when it popped on YouTube as I was watching random stuff and saw this post. This is to me the best solar solution out there and to me it’s not even close. I don’t like the look of solar panels on my roof and the fact that it doesn’t look integrated at all. The Tesla shingles look amazing and seem so much further ahead compared to traditional panels it’s not even close.

Marques is such a good reviewer and I loved how he explained/broke everything down so someone dumb like me could understand. Like you said, the cost is the main factor here and it is much more than I want to spend and where I live on the east coast, there are three months of the year I would still be pulling from the grid and if I had two EVs it would pull even more in the winter.

At $92,000 after the tax credits, with one EV the payback period is over 20 years and with two EVs it’s about 17 years. The other thing is in MD our garages are so small that the battery system would take up a decent amount of my garage where I would have to get rid of my refrigerator/freezer in my garage. Regardless, what a system, I’m so impressed by it that if I lived in a sunnier/warmer climate and I was building a house I would seriously consider it.

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread