EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 05:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

You guys might get your buying opportunity, depending on how harshly the market reacts to the recall of 200k vehicles right on the heels of the "disappointing earnings beat" last week.
Old 01-27-24, 06:58 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
How are they on your other cars? I feel like my Rivian and 18 Ody are also overly aggressive on the auto wipers
Never had a problem with my Mercedes. It has high and low auto settings. Usually i leave it in high, but between the two of them I never have to manually swipe.
Old 01-27-24, 09:24 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

Quite a lot of post-earnings reports of analysts (including reliably bullish analysts) attributing much of the most recent price drop to the earnings call rather than the results themselves. That’s a perspective I agree with. The results were objectively good and broadly as expected, the percentage miss wasn’t particularly significant, and the post-market stock drop pre earnings call (when only the earnings spoke for themselves) was basically around 5%. So the problem was the call more than the earnings and the problem most specifically was Musk. He’s absolutely terrible on these calls. He’s spectacularly inarticulate, over-talks, overshares, speculates rather than present facts and generally undermines others on the call. Tesla really needs to keep him off these calls. Of course with this board that’s never going to happen.

I’ve held this stock long enough to have a low average purchase price and to remain equally unimpacted by over 10% swings in either direction, but when the swings are to the negative it does frustrate when much of the damage is self-inflicted and preventable.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 09:52 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

I will guess that people playing the stock market with millions $$$ don't listen or care about what Elon says.

Their patterns are getting obvious. Lol
Old 01-27-24, 10:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
You guys might get your buying opportunity, depending on how harshly the market reacts to the recall of 200k vehicles right on the heels of the "disappointing earnings beat" last week.
Is this satire? Buying opportunity based on the earnings call maybe but the "recall" is for a software update that happened last year. You read that correctly.

Tesla’s NHTSA recall issued today was fixed with software update released last year

Old 01-27-24, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I’ve held this stock long enough to have a low average purchase price and to remain equally unimpacted by over 10% swings in either direction, but when the swings are to the negative it does frustrate when much of the damage is self-inflicted and preventable.
it's lost 30% in a month so a bit more than a 10% swing.

and problem with percentages is a percentage of a bigger number is a bigger number. so for the person who bought at 130 and it went to 260 at end of last year, they had a "100%" gain at that point. now it's back to 180 they 'lost' 60% of that gain and are now up 'only' 40%.

and that's ignoring the 52 week high a bit under $300.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-27-24 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-27-24, 10:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,923 Likes on 2,462 Posts

There are no gains or losses until you sell. Speaking of, did you sell off your TSLA? I'm baffled why you have any at all given you never miss an opportunity to crap on the company. And I know I know, sometimes you say good things. Sometimes lol.
Old 01-27-24, 11:36 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Ok Guys, here's a legit complaint I have about my Model Y, and it's not FSD, nor Autopilot related. This is something that works well for almost all automakers, and worked well on my 2010 IS350... and Tesla can't seem to get it working properly, and that's automatic rain sensing wipers. I stopped using them because they just don't work properly. Even if it's lightly drizzling, they will go full speed like it's a downpour. When it stops raining, they just keep going. The squeaky noise gets in your head, and you have to turn them off.

Apparently the AI has a hard time visually distinguishing between hard rain and light sprinkles. Sometimes it sees an object, and thinks it's rain, or water on the windshield. Numerous updates, and still doesn't seem to be fixed. So, I just manually set them when needed.

I think a $1 rain sensor would do the trick, but Tesla apparently disagrees. Thankfully it's not a huge problem as the wipers are no longer set to Auto when using Autopilot, which was the case when I first got the car last year
I really disliked them when we first got the car. They were then much better after one of the first few updates. Somewhere between then and now, I'm back to hating them.
AMIRZA786 (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 12:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I really disliked them when we first got the car. They were then much better after one of the first few updates. Somewhere between then and now, I'm back to hating them.
There are advantages, and disadvantages to the way Tesla does stuff. If you can rely on the cameras and AI to accomplish tasks that a sensor would normally be used for, its revolutionary. But getting to the point where you get it working can be frustrating. And you can easily break things with a buggy update.

You are actually correct come to think about it, my wipers were on Auto and they were working fine. Then suddenly they stopped working properly and I had to turn them off auto. They are doing so much stuff right now that maybe trying to focus on too many tasks breaks things. I'm betting this function got broken when they updated the Parking Assist feature, which is actually quite good now. Having to turn off the Auto wiper function though is not really that big of a deal, I would rather the Parking Assist feature work, now I can back out of tight situations without having to look back or at the mirrors
Mike728 (01-27-24)
Old 01-27-24, 06:51 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is this satire? Buying opportunity based on the earnings call maybe but the "recall" is for a software update that happened last year. You read that correctly.
Wasn't intended to be satire. But I have an admittedly bad track record. I watched ZOOM blow up in the early days of the pandemic, and laughed at the people looking for "teleconferencing" profit from 56k modems. But then I didn't buy after it crashed to benefit from when people were stupid again 6 months later.
Old 01-28-24, 05:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There are no gains or losses until you sell. Speaking of, did you sell off your TSLA?
no but i i wish i had lol

I'm baffled why you have any at all given you never miss an opportunity to crap on the company. And I know I know, sometimes you say good things. Sometimes lol.
tesla's stock is priced extremely high, because despite the great sales volume, there's much MORE POTENTIAL value there if they can get CT up to scale, if they can get FSD to the masses, if they can get a model 2 out, power wall type tech, etc. and just baed on a track record of innovation. personally i think the roof solar is a dud (too expensive, and california just killed incentives to get solar which won't help). these things would put them even further ahead of others. but these are big if's, so the stock is going to be very volatile.

i really shouldn't have tsla since stocks like nvda, msft, and others are more predictable, but hey i have some rivn too, so i guess i'm a loser, lol.
Old 01-28-24, 05:23 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Nvidia is one of my three biggest individual holdings along with Tesla and Apple. One thing I like about Nvidia and Apple are that both companies have extremely competent CEOs that don’t seek attention and quietly deliver excellent results over time.
Old 01-28-24, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yup, i have many tech stocks including nvda, apple, msft, etc.
i'll ignore your thrown in ceo comment as without elon musk, tesla would be nothing.
Old 01-28-24, 09:22 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, i have many tech stocks including nvda, apple, msft, etc.
i'll ignore your thrown in ceo comment as without elon musk, tesla would be nothing.
People said the same about Apple and Jobs. Tim Cook inherited a 360bn or so market cap when Jobs passed, and it's just under 3 trillion today. Very few people could pick out Jensen Huang in a line up, he's super low profile. But he's delivered stellar results. Pretty much the same with Satya Nadella.

Quiet unassuming competence, limited volatility, no drama. Just results.
Old 01-28-24, 10:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
People said the same about Apple and Jobs. Tim Cook inherited a 360bn or so market cap when Jobs passed, and it's just under 3 trillion today. Very few people could pick out Jensen Huang in a line up, he's super low profile. But he's delivered stellar results. Pretty much the same with Satya Nadella.

Quiet unassuming competence, limited volatility, no drama. Just results.
It's not that Musk isn't competent, he made Tesla what it is today. It's that he's unfiltered and attention seeking, which is his achilles heel. Reading through many comments from "Tesla fans", most agree he shouldn't participate in earnings calls. I'll just leave it there

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread