EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Business and News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 10:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Ok Guys, here's a legit complaint I have about my Model Y, and it's not FSD, nor Autopilot related. This is something that works well for almost all automakers, and worked well on my 2010 IS350... and Tesla can't seem to get it working properly, and that's automatic rain sensing wipers. I stopped using them because they just don't work properly. Even if it's lightly drizzling, they will go full speed like it's a downpour. When it stops raining, they just keep going. The squeaky noise gets in your head, and you have to turn them off.

Apparently the AI has a hard time visually distinguishing between hard rain and light sprinkles. Sometimes it sees an object, and thinks it's rain, or water on the windshield. Numerous updates, and still doesn't seem to be fixed. So, I just manually set them when needed.

I think a $1 rain sensor would do the trick, but Tesla apparently disagrees. Thankfully it's not a huge problem as the wipers are no longer set to Auto when using Autopilot, which was the case when I first got the car last year
My wipers were awesome until about 4 months ago. Something in an update made them way worse and I haven't seen much improvement since. Definitely frustrating. I don't have the high beam issue someone else referenced (knocking on wood)
Old 01-28-24, 11:03 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really shouldn't have tsla since stocks like nvda, msft, and others are more predictable, but hey i have some rivn too, so i guess i'm a loser, lol.
TSLA is extremely volatile you've had numerous chances to sell.
Old 01-28-24, 11:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
He's in for the long haul like the rest of us, which is probably why he didn't sell. Or he missed the "sale" train
Old 01-28-24, 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
People said the same about Apple and Jobs. Tim Cook inherited a 360bn or so market cap when Jobs passed, and it's just under 3 trillion today.
right but cook could NOT have created apple. it's generally true that the traits that helped create a company are counter-productive as a company matures. few ceo's make the transition. bill gates was a maniacal workaholic too and not a nice boss but he was smart enough to pass the torch.

Quiet unassuming competence, limited volatility, no drama. Just results.
understand and maybe musk will move on at some point. in fact i think it's highly likely, and that he will turn to space more and more.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
true, and true.
The following users liked this post:
swajames (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 11:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
My wipers were awesome until about 4 months ago. Something in an update made them way worse and I haven't seen much improvement since. Definitely frustrating. I don't have the high beam issue someone else referenced (knocking on wood)
So it has been drizzling today and it was a very light drizzle and I did back to back testing today with my X7 and my Plaid. I had my Plaid out most of the morning and the strange thing is that with the wipers in auto, the drizzle was so light the wipers never went off and the windshield was nearly impossible to see out of until I manually turned the wipers on, this was on a 15 minute drive. The strange thing is typically in some light rain the wipers go full speed and are operating too fast to the point that auto was nearly worthless.

Next I drove the X7 about 15 minutes and at stop lights, the wipers were operating at a slow intermittent speed but what was impressive is that when I started driving it sped up and wiped at a normal amount.

Not really sure the difference in technology between the two but the X7 handled the drizzle perfectly.
Old 01-28-24, 12:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
So it has been drizzling today and it was a very light drizzle and I did back to back testing today with my X7 and my Plaid. I had my Plaid out most of the morning and the strange thing is that with the wipers in auto, the drizzle was so light the wipers never went off and the windshield was nearly impossible to see out of until I manually turned the wipers on, this was on a 15 minute drive. The strange thing is typically in some light rain the wipers go full speed and are operating too fast to the point that auto was nearly worthless.

Next I drove the X7 about 15 minutes and at stop lights, the wipers were operating at a slow intermittent speed but what was impressive is that when I started driving it sped up and wiped at a normal amount.

Not really sure the difference in technology between the two but the X7 handled the drizzle perfectly.
We've had drizzle and mist round here for something like 7 straight days and the rain sensing wipers in both of our cars (5 Series and X3) have been impressive in these conditions too.
Old 01-28-24, 12:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well the X7 uses a $1 to $5 sensor and your Model S uses a combination of the Cameras with AI interpreting the images it sees. It's hit or miss. I'm sure Tesla is going to get this working, but it can be frustrating waiting for something to work when a sensor would fix the issue. But since manually activating the wipers is easy, it's not that important to me
Old 01-28-24, 01:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

both my lexus and hyundai are perfect when it comes to rain sensing.

looked this up from ford:

Rain-sensing windshield wipers use an infrared sensor located near the rearview mirror that detects moisture on the windshield.
perhaps in the quest to get rid of all 'non-"vision"' sensors, tesla got rid of that infrared sensor also.

tesla looks up the weather forecast and guesses.
AMIRZA786 (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 01:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

both my lexus and hyundai are perfect when it comes to rain sensing.

looked this up from ford:

perhaps in the quest to get rid of all 'non-"vision"' sensors, tesla got rid of that infrared sensor also.

tesla looks up the weather forecast and guesses.
Lol! Tesla actually had it working, then broke it with an update. The problem with using visuals interpreted by AI is it's hit or miss. It's been mostly a miss in Tesla's case for, at least the last year.

It also worked perfectly on my 2010 IS350. Hello Tesla, $1 sensor
Old 01-28-24, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It also worked perfectly on my 2010 IS350. Hello Tesla, $1 sensor
exactly... i get the 'passion' to try to have one "true" tech (vision) that can do it all, but hey, i can't see in complete darkness either.
Old 01-28-24, 02:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

exactly... i get the 'passion' to try to have one "true" tech (vision) that can do it all, but hey, i can't see in complete darkness either.
In Tesla's defense, cameras and AI can see better, and if properly "trained" react faster than any human can, but it can take time, and if it goes wrong, it can go spectacularly wrong. Microsoft played this game (and still does to an extent) and would release software not quite ready, and we would be the bug catchers. I owe a large part of my IT career to Microsoft. End users thought I was brilliant fixing all those Blue Screens of Death
Old 01-28-24, 02:57 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

The frustrating thing is you can be reasonably sure that it probably wasn't the engineers who were pushing for an overly complex solution to a simple problem...
Old 01-28-24, 03:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The frustrating thing is you can be reasonably sure that it probably wasn't the engineers who were pushing for an overly complex solution to a simple problem...
Haha for sure, we know who is the culprit! It can be frustrating for people like myself as well, but as I see my Model Y literally evolve before me eyes, I'm amazed by this company. Frustrated at times, but amazed, if that makes sense 🤣!

I've driven and evaluated many different EV's over the last three years, and although many EV's have strengths over Tesla (comfort, suspension tuning, ride quality etc), Tesla still has the best EV, IMO. Their package of reliability, ease of use, readily available service centers, and of course charging infrastructure makes it my vehicle of choice. Not that I wouldn't get an EV from another brand (I have LoL), but those vehicles I would only lease. Tesla I feel 100 percent comfortable buying and owning over the long haul
swajames (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 03:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

In Tesla's defense, cameras and AI can see better,
really? ever used a camera in darkness? they suck. IR doesn't care.

I owe a large part of my IT career to Microsoft. End users thought I was brilliant fixing all those Blue Screens of Death
ditto and still do... 365 has more bugs than the amazon rainforest. and we have to do 'sfc /scannow' on many machines a week to fix corruption, it's ridiculous. and don't get me started on windows printing issues at clients. then microsoft wraps a pile a bugs (like skype and sharepoint) in a new wrapper with a new name (teams) and markets the crap out of it.

it's why i use a mac and google workspace.

ha, probably so, i guess they didn't answer his questions in the best way like "why CAN'T we just use vision cameras for everything and get rid of these pesky IR and radar' sensors since humans can drive with their eyes and headlights without them?" they probably said "well that might work, we don't know" and he then said "ok, do it".
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (01-28-24), swajames (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24, 05:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

really? ever used a camera in darkness? they suck. IR doesn't care.

ditto and still do... 365 has more bugs than the amazon rainforest. and we have to do 'sfc /scannow' on many machines a week to fix corruption, it's ridiculous. and don't get me started on windows printing issues at clients. then microsoft wraps a pile a bugs (like skype and sharepoint) in a new wrapper with a new name (teams) and markets the crap out of it.

it's why i use a mac and google workspace.

ha, probably so, i guess they didn't answer his questions in the best way like "why CAN'T we just use vision cameras for everything and get rid of these pesky IR and radar' sensors since humans can drive with their eyes and headlights without them?" they probably said "well that might work, we don't know" and he then said "ok, do it".
My Ring door camera can see the entire cul de sac, with little to no light. Also we use Cisco Meraki Camera's at all of our work locations, and though not perfect, they have decent night vision. I do agree though that fog, cameras being blocked by dirt or fogged up lose their effectiveness. Once I was using Traffic aware cruise control and driving through the hills I hit a fog bank, and I got a warning that the cameras were being affected by weather and smart cruise disabled itself. I personally wish Tesla stuck with IR or radar as backup, but Elon made the decision, and who am I to question him.

We use our Windows server domain controllers as print servers, and rarely have issues with printing. Occasionally the desktop guys reset the Print Spool service, and that usually fixes the issue

Quick Reply: Tesla Business and News Thread