EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

BMW i7

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23 | 09:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
"looks better in person" is code for ugly. The beak on this car makes no sense at all.
Lol I'll admit, the front is unique. Not sure why BMW decided to go that direction.Thanks for the translation 😁
Old 10-31-23 | 09:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

BMW used to be one of the classiest and beautiful cars on the road. Now it looks like the design team scarfs down shrooms and hits the CAD.
Old 10-31-23 | 09:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

BMW used to be one of the classiest and beautiful cars on the road. Now it looks like the design team scarfs down shrooms and hits the CAD.
I wish they would just go back to the mid-2000's front. It was such an elegant look.

SW is right, this is designed for the Chinese market where they probably sell more of these. I wasn't paying much attention to it at the time, but why they designed screens with so much bling is beyond me. I've been totally spoiled by Tesla's infotainment implementation
Old 10-31-23 | 09:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I've been totally spoiled by Tesla's infotainment implementation
It's so easy to use I learned the entire thing intuitively. When I first saw the Model 3 interior I had a WTF is that moment thought it was a joke. Part of me hopes this BMW sells poorly so they are forced to come out with a less outlandish design.
Old 10-31-23 | 10:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It's so easy to use I learned the entire thing intuitively. When I first saw the Model 3 interior I had a WTF is that moment thought it was a joke. Part of me hopes this BMW sells poorly so they are forced to come out with a less outlandish design.
The i4 and i7 seems to both be moving pretty well. Especially the i4, I see a lot of them
Old 11-01-23 | 04:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

"looks better in person" is code for ugly. The beak on this car makes no sense at all.
agreed. the i7 is a horribly compromised vehicle due to being the same platform for both ice and ev. therefore we get that giant front to hold an ice. why does the i7 version have a rear seat driveshaft tunnel wasting space?

yes, bmw designs also used to be space efficient and elegant, but now, the suvs and sedans are not, focused on ugly form and not function.

25 years ago, a 7 was this...

Old 11-01-23 | 05:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Youre driving a car that a LOT of people including me think is really ugly. People have different tastes.
Old 11-01-23 | 05:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

25 years ago, a 7 was this...

Actually the new 7 reminds me of this car a lot in the side profile.

Like you say yourself, 25 years ago is 25 years ago. Aesthetics are different today. That car looked great 25 years ago, but it’s not what buyers are looking for today. It also can’t be an EV because there is nowhere to put the batteries. That’s why the 7 is so tall.

As for the compromised nature of the platform, I like the fact that it’s on an ICE platform because that’s the type and feel of car I prefer. Inwould
much rather have an EV that feels like what I am used to than some dedicated EV car that feels and looks strange to me a’la the EQS. I like the big long hood, I like the traditional feel inside with the driveshaft tunnel etc.

A lot of people feel the same way I do about vehicle design. I like your Ioniq 5 but if I’m being honest I wouldn’t buy one, I just don’t like the feel of it and the seating position etc. My neighbor across the street wants an EV but she also wants one that just looks like a car. She can’t afford an i7 but she is looking at a G80 EV. You yourself bought a car you thought was weird looking at first, but it’s grown on you and now you love it. I think this would grow on you too if you spent as much time around it and looking at it as I have.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-01-23 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-01-23 | 07:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Youre driving a car that a LOT of people including me think is really ugly. People have different tastes.
Don't let these party poopers discourage you. All it's weaknesses (mostly due to sharing a platform with ICE) are made up by it's comfort and driving dynamics. Just get it without the M package which is a collosal waste of money

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-01-23 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-01-23 | 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That car looked great 25 years ago, but it’s not what buyers are looking for today.
i realize a current 7 can't be just like that old one, but the point was the new one looks like a tank. the old one looked 'efficient'.

as for what 'buyers are looking for today' they're not all the same. there are 'buyers' who won't buy a 7 because of the way it looks too.

It also can’t be an EV because there is nowhere to put the batteries. That’s why the 7 is so tall.
and yet a tesla model s is 4 1/2" lower than an i7.

As for the compromised nature of the platform, I like the fact that it’s on an ICE platform because that’s the type and feel of car I prefer. I would
much rather have an EV that feels like what I am used to than some dedicated EV car that feels and looks strange to me a’la the EQS.
i understand but again, not everyone is the same as you. the i7 probably outsells the eqs, i don't know, but most buyers i'd say, don't like radical change or often any change.

I like your Ioniq 5 but if I’m being honest I wouldn’t buy one, I just don’t like the feel of it and the seating position etc. My neighbor across the street wants an EV but she also wants one that just looks like a car.
"looks like a car" - well that's pretty subjective, ha... looks like a car they're familiar with i guess. again, change is hard, but change is a comin' ...

you have another neighbor that got an ioniq though i believe.

You yourself bought a car you thought was weird looking at first, but it’s grown on you and now you love it.
exactly! adjustment to change takes time.

I think this would grow on you too if you spent as much time around it and looking at it as I have.
have no doubt the i7 is fabulous to drive as you and amirza have testified. that interior alone though i couldn't live with, honestly i'd be embarassed by it.
Old 11-01-23 | 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't let these party poopers discourage you. All it's weaknesses (mostly due to sharing a platform with ICE) are made up by it's comfort and driving dynamics. Just get it without the M package which is a collosal waste of money
Oh I won't no worries lol. They haven't driven the car. I wasn't interested in the car until I drove it either.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i realize a current 7 can't be just like that old one, but the point was the new one looks like a tank. the old one looked 'efficient'.

as for what 'buyers are looking for today' they're not all the same. there are 'buyers' who won't buy a 7 because of the way it looks too.
And thats true of every car. People don't buy MB EQ models because of how they look, people don't buy Hyundai Ioniqs because of how they look, they don't buy S Classes because of how they look, there are a lot of people on MB World that refuse to buy the new S Class. Thats how it is, you can't please everybody. People also buy all those cars because they love how they look.

Personally I like that a lot of cars all of a sudden don't just all look alike.

and yet a tesla model s is 4 1/2" lower than an i7.
But its an ugly bean shape and I hate how they look and how they feel behind the wheel, other than the Model S.

iIunderstand but again, not everyone is the same as you. the i7 probably outsells the eqs, i don't know, but most buyers i'd say, don't like radical change or often any change.
And not everybody is the same as you. We're all just sharing our opinions here. We are in a time of dramatic change in the auto world. Change is what we have.

"looks like a car" - well that's pretty subjective, ha... looks like a car they're familiar with i guess. again, change is hard, but change is a comin' ...
You just said in one sentance that people don't like change as in the i7 is too big a change, then in the next sentence poked fun at me because I don't like change and like a vehicle thats designed like a traditional car. Confusing lol

I do, people have different tastes. Not every car needs to look the same.

exactly! adjustment to change takes time.
Yup, give yourself some time with the new 7 and you may come to like it too

have no doubt the i7 is fabulous to drive as you and amirza have testified. that interior alone though i couldn't live with, honestly i'd be embarassed by it.
That makes no sense, the interior is very traditional...the only unusual element is the crystal ambient lighting bar, and in person its not that unusual. Just trying new things and new materials instead of the status quo of wood, leather and metal. The 223 S Class has a big wide ambient light strip too it just doesn't have the faceted detailing. Embarrassed by a car interior? Strange.

I think they went a little overboard with the stitching, but in the white interior which is what I would get thats pretty hidden

Again, I just don't think this interior is radical...embarrassing?!

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-01-23 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-01-23 | 08:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=SW17LS;11605755]Oh I won't no worries lol. They haven't driven the car. I wasn't interested in the car until I drove it either.

And thats true of every car. People don't buy MB EQ models because of how they look, people don't buy Hyundai Ioniqs because of how they look, they don't buy S Classes because of how they look, there are a lot of people on MB World that refuse to buy the new S Class. Thats how it is, you can't please everybody. People also buy all those cars because they love how they look.

Personally I like that a lot of cars all of a sudden don't just all look alike.

But its an ugly bean shape and I hate how they look and how they feel behind the wheel, other than the Model S.

iIunderstand but again, not everyone is the same as you. the i7 probably outsells the eqs, i don't know, but most buyers i'd say, don't like radical change or often any change.[/quite]

And not everybody is the same as you. We're all just sharing our opinions here. We are in a time of dramatic change in the auto world. Change is what we have.

You just said in one sentance that people don't like change as in the i7 is too big a change, then in the next sentence poked fun at me because I don't like change and like a vehicle thats designed like a traditional car. Confusing lol

Yup, give yourself some time with the new 7 and you may come to like it too

That makes no sense, the interior is very traditional...the only unusual element is the crystal ambient lighting bar, and in person its not that unusual. Just trying new things and new materials instead of the status quo of wood, leather and metal. The 223 S Class has a big wide ambient light strip too it just doesn't have the faceted detailing. Embarrassed by a car interior? Strange.

I think they went a little overboard with the stitching, but in the white interior which is what I would get thats pretty hidden

Again, I just don't think this interior is radical...embarrassing?!
Lots of people like both the i4 and i7, it seems to be selling well here. Especially people looking for alternatives to Tesla. According to the sales guy, they are moving quickly (if he was being truthful, which I'm sure he was)

Lots and lots of people (including myself) love that ugly bean shape . From this mornings commute:

I personally think putting down what other people like is wrong. Tesla, EQS, i7 etc. But that's just me
Old 11-01-23 | 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lots and lots of people love that ugly bean shape . From this morning commute:

No doubt they are everywhere, but I don't know that people buy them because they love the shape. A lot of people that own Model Ys and Model 3s (more the Y) that I know are not really car people, they don't really care what a car looks like, they bought the car because it was an EV and a Tesla and has good space and is well priced, not because they saw the car and said "I have to have that car", and the people that did like the car because its kind of quirky and strange not because its beautiful.

It reminds me a lot of when my wife had the Prius and Prius people...they are tech people not car people. Nobody saw a Prius and said "thats the most beautiful car I have ever seen". They liked the look of it because it was quirky and odd and appeared tech forward etc.

If I get an i7, it won't be because I think its the most beautiful car I have ever seen. I wanted my S560 because I think its really beautiful...but the i7 I think looks good in the right spec and its different, and its just an incredibly comfortable car to be in and drive and I love the EV powertrain. For instance, i probably wouldn't be interested in a V8 7 Series I would get a W223 S Class.

I personally think putting down what other people like is wrong. Tesla, EQS, i7 etc. But that's just me
I totally agree. I have no issue with saying that one personally doesn't like something, but the outright statements of "That is a hideous car, I have no idea why you could like that car" is not necessary.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23 | 09:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

No doubt they are everywhere, but I don't know that people buy them because they love the shape. A lot of people that own Model Ys and Model 3s (more the Y) that I know are not really car people, they don't really care what a car looks like, they bought the car because it was an EV and a Tesla and has good space and is well priced, not because they saw the car and said "I have to have that car", and the people that did like the car because its kind of quirky and strange not because its beautiful.

It reminds me a lot of when my wife had the Prius and Prius people...they are tech people not car people. Nobody saw a Prius and said "thats the most beautiful car I have ever seen". They liked the look of it because it was quirky and odd and appeared tech forward etc.

If I get an i7, it won't be because I think its the most beautiful car I have ever seen. I wanted my S560 because I think its really beautiful...but the i7 I think looks good in the right spec and its different, and its just an incredibly comfortable car to be in and drive and I love the EV powertrain. For instance, i probably wouldn't be interested in a V8 7 Series I would get a W223 S Class.
I'm around a lot of Tesla owners, and I mean a lot, and they are a mixture of car people, techies, and non car people. Some came from cars like Porsche, BMW (M3/M5 X3/X5 3/5 Series), Lexus, Camry, RAV4 ect. They bought them because of the way they drive, the tech, utility, and even the unique way them look. Most did not buy a Tesla to "save money" (or the environment), especially those who bought from 2019 through 2022. Tesla drivers are nothing like the previous Prius buyers, which I also know a lot of. They like love them the same exact reason you like the i7
Old 11-01-23 | 09:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Amirza, I enjoyed your review of the i7. Both you and Steve have said it is the best driving/riding luxury car you've ever experienced. That tells me I should never go test drive one... I don't need the temptation!
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (11-01-23), signdetres (11-01-23)

Quick Reply: BMW i7