EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

tesla 'vision' for parking sucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 09:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Unless I'm imagining, the system does learn when you park in the same place over and over or maybe updates alone have improved accuracy.
I think it's updates
Old 09-27-23, 11:24 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Im surprised no one has mentioned this. Let's say you park your car when something is in front of you, and before shutting off, it show some distance. Let's say you return to the car and whatever in front, perhaps another car, has left. The car will still think there is something in front when you shift into gear. It only updates after you start moving.
Old 09-28-23, 03:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Im surprised no one has mentioned this. Let's say you park your car when something is in front of you, and before shutting off, it show some distance. Let's say you return to the car and whatever in front, perhaps another car, has left. The car will still think there is something in front when you shift into gear. It only updates after you start moving.
i don't see how this makes sense. even if someone doesn't leave and return to the car, if they're just sitting in it, any obstruction can appear or move away. say a dog walks in front of a car and lies down. are you saying if the car doesn't move it won't see the dog?
Old 09-28-23, 06:28 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't see how this makes sense. even if someone doesn't leave and return to the car, if they're just sitting in it, any obstruction can appear or move away. say a dog walks in front of a car and lies down. are you saying if the car doesn't move it won't see the dog?
Teslas don't have any front bumper cameras but have cameras at the top of the windshield. So yes, in theory something could easily "hide" from the system and be in front of the car without it seeing.
Old 09-28-23, 07:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
I haven't noticed that in my case. If a car was previously parked in front or in back of me of me, when I put it in gear it doesn't show it anymore
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 09:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The camera clarity has definitely gotten way better. Also, it seems to be pretty accurate. The first pic is me backing out of my yard

The "buffer" line between my house and Sienna is completely accurate. In this second picture, there is a very tight area getting out my backyard gate, and as you can see, it's being extremely conservative:

At work, it estimated correctly the distance between my wheel and the parking stop:

Bottom line, I wouldn't rely on the word of a bunch of Youtube clowns trying to get clicks and likes

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-28-23 at 09:12 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
Hameed (10-30-23), LeX2K (09-28-23), Mike728 (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 09:50 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The camera clarity has definitely gotten way better. Also, it seems to be pretty accurate. The first pic is me backing out of my yard

The "buffer" line between my house and Sienna is completely accurate. In this second picture, there is a very tight area getting out my backyard gate, and as you can see, it's being extremely conservative:

At work, it estimated correctly the distance between my wheel and the parking stop:

Bottom line, I wouldn't rely on the word of a bunch of Youtube clowns trying to get clicks and likes
The drawings around the car look like they're working really well. Also your wheel covers look SO good. Loving them
AMIRZA786 (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 10:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Do conventional systems provide a 360 degree visualization of obstructions? This is the first truly modern car I've owned.
Old 09-28-23, 11:05 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Do conventional systems provide a 360 degree visualization of obstructions? This is the first truly modern car I've owned.
Our EQS using the parking sensors to draw a 360 degree visualization around the car of where obstructions are, similar to Tesla vision. I would say all recent Mercedes running MBUX that have parking sensors also do this.

Our Tesla Model Y with parking sensors (and no Tesla vision) does not draw the visualizations around the car.
LeX2K (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 11:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Taking a step back and getting myself completely out of Tesla Fanboy mode, it is among one of the best all around visualization systems I've used. It's not perfect for sure, but just using the screen alone, I can back out my backyard where it's really tight. I have a garden to the right, and cars to the left of me. Getting out the gate is really tricky, my wife has scratched two cars backing out that gate. The Tesla renders the buffer areas perfectly.

To be fair, the Polestar (and the Ioniq 5) also does a good job as well, but it doesn't use optical visualization, it uses sensors. As you get closer to an object, it turns yellow, than red with a blaring sound. The sensors are on the front and rear bumpers, so they don't detect anything at the sides unless you come in at an angle. With both the Polestar and Ioniq, I can't just rely on the screen, I have to use the mirrors as well.

With 8 cameras, Tesla will eventually have the clear advantage once they get it fully working. The only blind spot is directly in the front of the car. If you crouch down, the front camera won't see you
Old 09-28-23, 11:16 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

What I'm saying is that Ive noticed on my Y, the visual lines will still think there is something around the car, which was the case when the car was parked, but may not be the case when the car is started again. When you push the brake pedal, the visualization comes on the screen so it will show the boundary lines from when the car was shut off. You have to start moving before the lines update.
Old 09-28-23, 12:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

you're saying your front 'vision' sensing is accurate? the video i posted showed that the screen showed the car was 2 feet or more away from a wall/post/car when it was 2" away.
one thing you can be sure, every Tesla update will improve something and f up something else.

It is fun though.

When I got my MS, we had no parking visualization for few weeks, between HW4 being released and then actually software update adding functionality back. It is the Tesla way of doing things - everything is super advanced, but not fully baked in.

Last edited by spwolf; 09-28-23 at 06:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (09-28-23), LeX2K (09-28-23), signdetres (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 12:33 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

No parking sensors. They emailed me that they wouldn't be included when I ordered my Y giving me a chance to cancel my order. Optical works about 95 percent of the time. I'm confident they'll get it to 100

my friend with the 23 MYLR I asked him about Tesla vision and he said “It’s unreliable at best. But every once in a while it’s accurate”

I copied and pasted what he sent.

sounds like it’s hit or miss.
Old 09-28-23, 12:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
my friend with the 23 MYLR I asked him about Tesla vision and he said “It’s unreliable at best. But every once in a while it’s accurate”

I copied and pasted what he sent.

sounds like it’s hit or miss.
It actually works really well. It hasn't let me down yet. The only time it's a "miss" is if one or more of the camera's are blocked. Then you get a warning, so you know to not fully rely on it and use the mirrors and or better judgement. See my previous post backing out of my backyard
BayeauxLex (09-28-23)
Old 09-28-23, 01:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Our EQS using the parking sensors to draw a 360 degree visualization around the car of where obstructions are, similar to Tesla vision. I would say all recent Mercedes running MBUX that have parking sensors also do this.
360 view which is computer generated, but doesn't give a distance perimeter does it? If so then great job Mercedes.
It actually works really well. It hasn't let me down yet. The only time it's a "miss" is if one or more of the camera's are blocked. Then you get a warning, so you know to not fully rely on it and use the mirrors and or better judgement. See my previous post backing out of my backyard
I don't rely on it because I'm highly resistant to change. I have an idea in my head where the edges of the car are I'm pretty good at it.
AMIRZA786 (09-28-23)

Quick Reply: tesla 'vision' for parking sucks