EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 10:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There you go again, because one neighborhood in Kentucky has all trucks EVs will never be mainstream. Want me to post pictures of the cars in neighborhoods here? 30+% of them are already EVs. On my street alone there are 7 EVs, one household only has EVs. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
My whole point was that there’s a random shot of random cars in a brand new neighborhood. All trucks. This isn’t the only culdesac like that.

I don’t live in Kentucky.
Old 02-07-24, 10:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I agree with Toyoda (and Toyota I guess), BEVs with reach a percentage and then plateau. Though I don’t think it will be 30% even.

I’m looking at real estate, this is a really nice brand new neighborhood down from us. I stopped and took a picture of all the cars there…

All trucks/SUVs, all gas guzzlers. That’s a GX in the garage and a Raptor in the driveway. That’s a V8 Jeep I think.

EVs aren’t taking over this truck market ANYTIME soon and said market is MASSIVE. Literally that was right where I just was.

I really doubt any of those owners are dying to go buy an EV, or care much about them. LOTTTTS of people just like this in the country.

It’s nothing personal.
Have you even considered why Toyoda and Toyota take this position? Is it because maybe chairman Toyoda messed up? And that Toyota came out with one of the worst EV'S because of his miscalculation? I see he's still Toyotas CEO. Oh sorry, he "stepped down"...
Old 02-07-24, 10:54 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

If you took that same shot in my neighborhood, it would show a significant percentage of EV adoption. Of the four homes closest to ours, for example, three of the four have two or more electric vehicles. If you look at our wider neighborhood, the EV adoption rate is extremely high.
Old 02-07-24, 10:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You guys sure this isn’t a dealership? There’s a CT inside. Someone said no dealers?

Old 02-07-24, 11:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

My whole point was that there’s a random shot of random cars in a brand new neighborhood. All trucks. This isn’t the only culdesac like that.
You just have to understand how small of a sample size this is. In other posts, you talk about Tesla's being "everywhere" in your town - so what if you were driving around a neighborhood and over 1/2 of the driveways with a car parked in them were Teslas? Would you have taken a picture? Or would you just think it was interesting to have so many of one type of vehicle in a neighborhood?

My neighborhood has about 200 houses and there are somewhere around 20-25 Ferrari's and Lamborghini's in here. That doesn't mean that 10% of the cars I see on the highway on a road trip (a much larger sample size) are Ferrari's and Lambo's.
Old 02-07-24, 11:10 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

You guys sure this isn’t a dealership?
Very sure. Dealership is an independent company in contract with a given automaker. Tesla is not allowed to sell direct in some states because, wait for it, they don't use the dealership model.

Last edited by LeX2K; 02-07-24 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 11:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

"The experiment that didn't work well" that you're brushing off, cost/lost a lottttttttttttt of money that I really don't think they were anticipating losing.
NEGATIVE comment from you of course. maybe you've skipped the details but Hertz EV 'experiment' cost a lot because Tesla dropped the price of their cars so much after Hertz bought a load that Hertz was bound to lose a TON in depreciation. plus they found teslas expensive to repair. not really anything to do with the fact that they're ev's.

(Taycan) It’s a $250k car, a lot of them out there for such an expensive beast.
Oh, and please find me a brand new Taycan for $90k in my area..... I'll definitely wait. Cheapest one I can find at the dealer is $155k.
so which is is $250k or $155k? you're all over the map.

Every word in this article is more confirmation that the demand everyone thought there would be just isn't there. Numbers to back it up. Big numbers.
Teslas will always sell like hotcakes, I think they are niche vehicles. It's just not happening like they thought except for Tesla. Ya'll can put me up in a cross like you do, it's nothing personal toward anyone.
NEGATIVE comments and attempt at martyrdom, nice, lol.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla sells more Model Y than RAV4, Corolla and Camry, which means it's not a niche product.
aren't you mixing up global and u.s. sales again?

I agree. Like I said, they turned a "service center" into a full blown dealer, it's nice.
tesla has NO DEALERS. only showrooms, service centers, and combo's of the two.
DEALERS are independent businesses authorized to sell some manufacturers vehicles.

Motor Trend said the Lightning was one of the most significant vehicles of all time? Yeah how are those sales working out for Ford lol.
NEGATIVE comment of course, and since the F150 is the highest selling vehicle in the U.S. for just about forever, an electric version (a very good one at that) is a REALLY significant milestone. but they had part supply issues and it's expensive for a 'work truck' so it's going to be a while before ford can get the price more reasonable.

You're just so in denial about EVs. EVs will never be mainstream, not in our lifetimes.
NEGATIVE of course, and "never" is a long time. not in our lifetime? please. you have manufacturers like your beloved MERCEDES that is committed ot being ALL ELECTRIC within a decade i think.
the taycan outsells the 911, did you know that? and there's government policies that will most likely tax gasoline more and ICE vehicles more over time. and as more EVs are on the road and ICE service places go out of business, the remaining ones will charge more to stay in business, which eventually is an incentive for people to get rid of their ICE cars. you are obviously affluent and i don't believe you work either, but the majority of people will have difficult decisions to make about what to drive. and if tesla does an inexpensive model 2 (likely a mini model Y i expect), i think its sales will be GIGANTIC globally.

I guess I'll say my piece then----A lot of stupid people at Hertz, because they could have just called me and I could have saved them billions of dollars with pretty much common sense advice.
get over yourself. it's not just 'common sense'. hertz didn't know what tesla was going to do with pricing etc., and they couldn't necessarily predict what demand would be. maybe they should have trial tested it with fewer cars to start. i'm not even sure demand was the problem... but i read it's been depreciation and repair costs.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Out of curiosity, how are you defining "mainstream"? What does it take for EV's to become "mainstream" in your eyes?
great question. i see teslas all over the place.

I agree with Toyoda (and Toyota I guess), BEVs with reach a percentage and then plateau. Though I don’t think it will be 30% even.
it will vary dramatically by country and government policies. a place like norway where they gave huge incentives to buy an ev meant (i think i read) over half of new cars sold are ev's.
maybe you could move to cuba where they all drive 'tried and true' OLD cars.

I really doubt any of those owners are dying to go buy an EV, or care much about them. LOTTTTS of people just like this in the country.
oh you've driven into neighborhoods all over the country?

I don’t live in Kentucky.
no, tennessee. same thing.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-07-24 at 02:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bowser (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 11:40 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
You just have to understand how small of a sample size this is. In other posts, you talk about .
You all are too literal.

Of course I know that this isn’t an accurate sample size for the whole nation, good grief. For YEARS I’ve said this is a very heavy truck and SUV area.

Just, as I was reading something I took a candid photo of the cars all visible, they were trucks. It was a random photo snap.

I’m sick of arguing back and forth, I said my piece. I agree with Toyoda but it won’t be 30%.

I don’t hate EVs, I hate the push. I just thoroughly checked out the Cybertruck in the place that apparently isn’t a Tesla dealership but it sure seemed like one.

I’ll post pics and thoughts in the CT forums. Short answer: Impressed. I want one.
Old 02-07-24, 11:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Global sales of internal-combustion-engine vehicles have fallen each year since 2017 thanks to electric cars taking up a growing share

The result: The world has hit “peak” gas-powered vehicle sales, said Colin McKerracher, BloombergNEF’s head of transport and automotive analysis, at the group’s summit Tuesday in San Francisco. Since that peak in 2017, gas-powered vehicle sales have dropped 23%. At the same time, EV sales have steadily risen.
GM just inked a huge battery contract

Old 02-07-24, 11:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
NEGATIVE comment from you of course. maybe you've skipped the details but Hertz EV 'experiment' cost a lot because Tesla dropped the price of their cars so much after Hertz bought a load that Hertz was bound to lose a TON in depreciation. plus they found teslas expensive to repair. not really anything to do with the fact that they're ev's.

no, tennessee. same thing.
What does that mean? That last sentence? What about Tennessee?

This was an incoherent ramble and you’d best watch it, again with the personal attacks….

I ask every one of you to go to the crappy to just decent parts of your towns and count how many EVs you see. Please do it.

WADR you guys don’t see the big picture.

Government this government that, we do have the ability to vote against all that crap, regulations and crap and it’s looking like it’s all going to go in my favor pretty soon.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-07-24 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 11:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Can people please fix their nested quotes?
Old 02-07-24, 12:15 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

What does that mean? That last sentence? What about Tennessee?
It seemed pretty self explanatory to me.
SW17LS (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 12:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

regulations and crap and it’s looking like it’s all going to go in my favor pretty soon.
So I guess God is going to intervene? Because at this point, only the Almighty can stop the EV wave. If I were to make a guess, I think God likes instant torque....
Old 02-07-24, 12:38 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 732 Likes on 504 Posts

For the record, I'd much rather live in TN than KY

Also, in my subdivision we have 110 houses and I'd estimate we're at 25% EV adoption in the neighborhood. Mostly Teslas but a smattering of Taycan, Polestar, BMW, and 1 lone Rivian
swajames (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 12:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
For the record, I'd much rather live in TN than KY

Also, in my subdivision we have 110 houses and I'd estimate we're at 25% EV adoption in the neighborhood. Mostly Teslas but a smattering of Taycan, Polestar, BMW, and 1 lone Rivian
I wonder who that is
Allen K (02-07-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation