EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 08:56 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Did you get the 20" Zero-G package from Tesla, or go aftermarket with something else? Also, are you having the tire wear issues that I read about?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'm considering a used or maybe new Plaid in the near future. The range really isn't that big a deal since it would be a toy, but I'm trying to figure out what I might be getting into.
I have aftermarket 20" wheels. I like the 20" Zero G package but don't like the tries that come with it. The tire issues you are reading about only relate to the 21" wheels so I would suggest not getting those. Plus there are no good all season tires if you want those. My 20" tires which are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 are great tires and lasted me 30k miles with completely even wear on the inside and outside of the tire and I have staggered wheels so that is without any rotation and no alignment when I got the new tires.
The following 3 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (02-08-24), Bob04 (02-08-24), Hameed (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24, 10:52 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
BMW has committed to moving to NACS connectors in 2025 for US market. Personally I wouldn't buy any EV without that connector if I planned on owning it for a pretty long time. Not worth the hassle, the writing is on the wall for every other standard in the US.
I don't know that's a reason to delay buying a car you like, though, it's really a distinction without a difference with the availability of adapters. The car won't charge any faster or slower with or without the adapter (and even if you have NACS you probably ought to carry a NACS to CCS just in case. I always carry a TeslaTap adapter for Tesla L2 and destination charging). In my case Ford is supplying and shipping the NACS adapters for free to all owners.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24, 11:09 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 259 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I have aftermarket 20" wheels. I like the 20" Zero G package but don't like the tries that come with it. The tire issues you are reading about only relate to the 21" wheels so I would suggest not getting those. Plus there are no good all season tires if you want those. My 20" tires which are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 are great tires and lasted me 30k miles with completely even wear on the inside and outside of the tire and I have staggered wheels so that is without any rotation and no alignment when I got the new tires.
Yeah, I've read that the 19" don't have the issue. Good to know that aftermarket 20" are fine too. Thanks for your insight.
Old 02-08-24, 11:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Electrify America set to open its first indoor EV charging station to the public this week

EV charging network Electrify America will soon offer the public an EV charging experience safe from the elements, where drivers can pull in, plug in, and chill out while their vehicle replenishes. This flagship indoor charging station kicks off a potential future in which you don’t have to wait in your car or outside while you charge… It also has complimentary Wi-Fi.

Electrify America is one of the largest open DC fast charging networks in the US that is investing billions into expanding EV infrastructure to support the growing number of zero-emissions vehicles hitting roads.

Outside of the Tesla Supercharger network, Electrify America is easily the most prominent and recognizable name in its respective space, expanding cleaner energy alternatives like solar farms to support its growing number of EV charging stations.

While we have seen EA implement larger footprints with covered charging piles similar to traditional gas stations, its DC fast chargers have remained in the elements, at least until now. Today, the charging network shared details of its flagship indoor charging station in California, which will be made open to the public on Friday. Check it out.

EA’s first indoor charging station opens February 9

Electrify America shared details of the new indoor charging station today, a first of its kind for the network located in San Francisco. One could argue other regions of the United States could make better use of EA’s first-ever indoor charger location, especially during these winter months, but here we are.

The new station is located in the SoMa neighborhood near the Bay Bridge and features 20 DC fast chargers capable of delivering up to 350 kW of power, depending on which EV you’re replenishing. Features include 24/7 access, monitoring, and security for Electrify America customers, as well as temperature-controlled lounges, vending, restrooms, and Wi-Fi. EA president and CEO Robert Barrosa spoke:
We’re committed to making EVs accessible to all, particularly in dense urban areas like San Francisco. Our expertise in building over 250 stations in California and more than 900 in North America uniquely positions us to bring high-quality charging infrastructure directly into communities where people live and work and support EV adoption across the state.
With the flagship indoor charging station now ready for customers, Electrify America says it will continue to expand a transition to larger facilities (indoor and outdoor) to more metropolitan areas around the US. This flagship location can be visited at 928 Harrison St. in San Francisco beginning this Friday, February 9. Here’s a better look at the new station inside and out.

https://electrek.co/2024/02/07/elect...to-the-public/
Old 02-08-24, 11:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ford is not giving up on EVs — and has Elon Musk's 'affordable Tesla' in its sights

• Ford will spend more on mass-market EVs, its CEO said Tuesday.
  • "The ultimate competition is going to be the affordable Tesla," Jim Farley told analysts.
  • Elon Musk's company plans to launch its own cheaper EV, dubbed the "Model 2."

Ford is planning to spend more on developing mass-market electric vehicles, CEO Jim Farley said Tuesday, in a move that could result in a rival to Tesla's long-awaited "Model 2".

After the carmaker posted its earnings report for the last three months of 2023, Farley said it's planning to cut spending on larger EVs like trucks and vans in favor of smaller, cheaper models.

"We're … adjusting our capital, switching focus onto smaller EV products," he told analysts.

"All of our EV teams are ruthlessly focused on cost and efficiency in our EV products because the ultimate competition is going to be the affordable Tesla" as well as Chinese manufacturers, Farley added.

Ford's commitment to EVs comes despite rising consumer anxiety about factors including their range, ease of recharging and resale value. Those doubts are prompting some manufacturers to focus more on hybrids instead.

Last month Ford said it was cutting production of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup truck once again due to falling demand.

'Solid year'

Ford shares climbed 6% ahead of Wednesday's opening bell as investors reacted to the better-than-expected revenue and profits.

Farley called 2023 "a solid year," but told analysts that the Detroit automaker was still "nowhere near its earnings potential."

Focusing on cheaper EVs could draw Ford into a battle with Tesla, which has made launching a mass-market car a priority as it slashes prices in a bid to undercut its rivals.

Elon Musk promised to make a $25,000 Tesla in 2020 and said on an earnings call last month that his company plans to start producing the vehicle, dubbed the "Model 2" and codenamed "Redwood" internally, in mid-2025.

China's BYD has tended to focus more on affordability, an approach that helped it overtake Tesla as the world's biggest EV seller last year. Its Qin compact sedan and Seagull and Dolphin hatchbacks are already among the best-selling cars in China.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ford...ehicles-2024-2
Old 02-08-24, 12:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swajames
I don't know that's a reason to delay buying a car you like, though, it's really a distinction without a difference with the availability of adapters. The car won't charge any faster or slower with or without the adapter (and even if you have NACS you probably ought to carry a NACS to CCS just in case. I always carry a TeslaTap adapter for Tesla L2 and destination charging). In my case Ford is supplying and shipping the NACS adapters for free to all owners.
I agree for the most part, I have only used a supercharger twice in the two years I have had the car since I don't take it on long trips so to me the charging network doesn't matter much, if at all. However, if it is your only car and you will be taking it on longer trips frequently and live somewhere other than California, it may be worth holding off until some of the other cars are able to use Tesla's superchargers.
Old 02-08-24, 11:16 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Other parts of the country definitely needs more charging networks. I drove 180 miles last Saturday and I could’ve used a charge but it was after 11pm and I would have to go out of my way to charge so I skipped it and barely made it home with 1% charge left. I would’ve stopped but it would have cost me 20 minutes to go off course but if it was more convenient I would’ve stopped for a quick charge.

Sad thing is I charged to 80% and got less than 200 miles out of it.
I have 20" all season tires. I have never gotten the claimed range ever. When I charge to 80% it says I have 300 miles of range but I never get close to that. I didn't think it would be that close last week but I had severe range anxiety but I also knew that even at 0% a friend said there was some reserve charge left. I do keep sentry on and that supposedly eats up around 7% of the charge. It's one of the reasons why when people complain about the range of BMWs and Porsches being low I laugh because it is really no different than what I actually get, not what is claimed.
And I was going between 70-75 miles an hour for a fair amount of the trip. I slowed to 60-65 when I was around 5-10% charge and I thought I was going to get run over even in the right lane.
🫣🥴

Honest reviews/experiences like this are very helpful.
Old 02-09-24, 08:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

what kind of wheels? I put aftermarket 21" on my 2023 Model S, and it killed my range by 30-40% compared to 19" tempest wheels/covers. They look beautiful but i am taking them off as soon as spring comes.

Also from your other comments - please use nav when traveling out of the city with your Tesla. What nav shows will be correct. You should not have anxiety when driving even the longest trips. When it comes to other cars, all that means is that you would get even less range. Nothing else, there is no magic just better efficiency and large battery plus SC network where you know that you can charge for sure.
AMIRZA786 (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 08:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
what kind of wheels? I put aftermarket 21" on my 2023 Model S, and it killed my range by 30-40% compared to 19" tempest wheels/covers. They look beautiful but i am taking them off as soon as spring comes.

Also from your other comments - please use nav when traveling out of the city with your Tesla. What nav shows will be correct. You should not have anxiety when driving even the longest trips. When it comes to other cars, all that means is that you would get even less range. Nothing else, there is no magic just better efficiency and large battery plus SC network where you know that you can charge for sure.
When in doubt, that's exactly what I do. It never lets me down. I know exactly how much I'm going to have when I reach my destination, and it takes guessing out of the equation
Old 02-09-24, 08:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

I have BC Forged 20" on my car, shouldn't be any different than the 21" factory wheels that say 348 mile range with summer tires and I have all seasons but of course maybe the factory 21" wheels are more aerodynamic but then again, my 20" wheels are so much lighter at 21 lbs each.

As for range anxiety, wasn't out of town, I was driving back and forth between something my daughter and son had that was 35 miles each way. On my last trip home I did put in my home address in nav and it kept telling me to go to one of the superchargers on my way home and trying to re-route me but when looking at the range I had and how far I had to go to get home it said I would have 1% charge left when I got home which was accurate. Still doesn't make me feel comfortable because when you look at how many miles are left in the charge, it's not remotely close and you would think the algorithm would make it closer to what it actually would get. But why wouldn't I have range anxiety? There was one supercharger that was out of the way from my route home, nothing else so if I didn't make it, what would I do?
Old 02-09-24, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I have BC Forged 20" on my car, shouldn't be any different than the 21" factory wheels that say 348 mile range with summer tires and I have all seasons but of course maybe the factory 21" wheels are more aerodynamic but then again, my 20" wheels are so much lighter at 21 lbs each.

As for range anxiety, wasn't out of town, I was driving back and forth between something my daughter and son had that was 35 miles each way. On my last trip home I did put in my home address in nav and it kept telling me to go to one of the superchargers on my way home and trying to re-route me but when looking at the range I had and how far I had to go to get home it said I would have 1% charge left when I got home which was accurate. Still doesn't make me feel comfortable because when you look at how many miles are left in the charge, it's not remotely close and you would think the algorithm would make it closer to what it actually would get. But why wouldn't I have range anxiety? There was one supercharger that was out of the way from my route home, nothing else so if I didn't make it, what would I do?
I don't even look at "Range", but SoC. At 80 percent SoC, I can drive from one end of the Bay Area to the other end, and make it home without touching a Supercharger. But then again, we have warmer climate than you
Old 02-09-24, 09:57 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't even look at "Range", but SoC. At 80 percent SoC, I can drive from one end of the Bay Area to the other end, and make it home without touching a Supercharger. But then again, we have warmer climate than you
This, always this. Do you guys check how many talk/text/surfing minutes left on your phone?
The following 2 users liked this post by bowser:
AMIRZA786 (02-09-24), Hameed (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't even look at "Range", but SoC.
maybe a tesla thing, because i don't get this. on my ioniq my range and soc track exactly. range remaining = battery size x SoC x mi./kwh.

maybe tesla shows range as some fictional "if you drove like granny on surface streets, downhill, with the wind behind you."
Old 02-09-24, 10:33 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bowser
This, always this. Do you guys check how many talk/text/surfing minutes left on your phone?
Just because you don't doesn't mean I have to look at it the same way. I do it with my ICE car so why can't I do it with my EV? Why even put range in any ICE or EV if people don't use it. Different stroke for different folks. If I am going to drive around all day what is the percentage going to tell me? Am I supposed to put in my destination in my nav every time I go somewhere so I know whether I will have enough charge? It wouldn't have changed my habits that day because I didn't have time to charge my car anyway given what I was doing and the fact that I don't want to stop to charge since it isn't a 5 minute thing, it would cost me 20 minutes. Just because it using battery percentage works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone especially when the charging network isn't great. You live in CA so of course your network is way more built out than any other state so how can you even relate?
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
BayeauxLex (02-09-24), bitkahuna (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 10:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe a tesla thing, because i don't get this. on my ioniq my range and soc track exactly. range remaining = battery size x SoC x mi./kwh.
No, he meant set your display to show % SOC rather than showing number of miles left.
AMIRZA786 (02-09-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation