EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 07:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How many miles is he driving on his errands?

Literally the only time I would think about range is on a trip.
Going back and forth to dance competitions and hockey games. That is my typical weekend. This one just happened 35 miles each way. Next day was a drive out to Haymarket, VA with some stops in between. Not really errands but life with teenagers who can’t drive. Thats why I didn’t think much about range. I put in Waze how far it was each way and it was 35 miles. Add to and from the ice rink was max 10 miles each way plus heading out to grab a bite. Max 180 miles, didn’t think that would kill my battery at 80%.

I usually don’t bother calculating because worst case I usually arrive home with at least 50 miles to spare so never crossed my mind.

Daily my wife and I always take the Tesla because it’s easy to drive. I go to the gym in the morning, then drop off my son at school (no bus service), then my wife picks my son up from school, then takes him to high school hockey practice, sometimes I pick him up from practice, then I take him to club hockey practice and back home, and then sometimes pick my daughter up at dance. That doesn’t include the errands my wife runs during the day to her gym or the store. With all that running around I still end up having about 70-80 miles of range left so I never think twice about range but every day can be different.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 07:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
So I have a dumb question. I see a lot of you look at SOC vs range. How many miles is 1% SOC? I too would think prefer look at range vs SOC.

Another question, having spent time in rented Tesla couple times, does anyone travel without using the navigation/trip planner, the thing that tells you will have X% of battery once you reach your destination. Patgilm for example was making multiple runs in town, is it necessary to set the trip planner every time you drive to ensure you’re going to reach wherever you’re going?
I really don't know, I view it the same way as I would a gas gauge. I usually don't let my battery get less than 20 percent. Driving in town, I know what my limits are.

I only use the travel planner when actually traveling so it maps out the optimal chargers on my route and preconditions the battery. I've generally learned the limits of my car's range, and don't even think about it
BayeauxLex (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 08:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I really don't know, I view it the same way as I would a gas gauge. I usually don't let my battery get less than 20 percent. Driving in town, I know what my limits are.

I only use the travel planner when actually traveling so it maps out the optimal chargers on my route and preconditions the battery. I've generally learned the limits of my car's range, and don't even think about it
For my X7 I do look look at miles left because it is much more accurate and I usually fill up when it’s around 100 miles left or a quarter tank and it’s just easier because it takes 5 minutes to fill up.

For the Tesla, there is zero way to charge up with my schedule sometimes and no superchargers close most of the time. When I’m trying to make different events time isn’t on your side and superchargers are out of the way.

Regardless, on a daily basis, it’s really not a big deal. I just hit a perfect storm one day. I don’t want to plan every trip when I’m running around to different places on a daily basis but would on a longer trip for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (02-09-24), BayeauxLex (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24, 08:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

So I have a dumb question. I see a lot of you look at SOC vs range. How many miles is 1% SOC? I too would think prefer look at range vs SOC.
1% soc = battery size * mi/kwh / 100

so my car = 77.4 * 3 / 100 or 2.3
the '3' (mi/kwh) varies of course, and thus does the 2.3
at 4mi/kwh (which i've never averaged on a trip), 1% would be 3
at 2.5mi/kwh (which i sometimes see on a short aggressive trip) 1% would be 1,9

that concludes todays math lesson.

Another question, having spent time in rented Tesla couple times, does anyone travel without using the navigation/trip planner, the thing that tells you will have X% of battery once you reach your destination.
yes me because i don't believe my (non-tesla) car will tell you estimated/projected soc at end of trip. maybe using abrp it would tell me.

Patgilm for example was making multiple runs in town, is it necessary to set the trip planner every time you drive to ensure you’re going to reach wherever you’re going?
not for short trips unless you're starting out with a near empty battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
Old 02-09-24, 08:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
For my X7 I do look look at miles left because it is much more accurate and I usually fill up when it’s around 100 miles left or a quarter tank and it’s just easier because it takes 5 minutes to fill up.

For the Tesla, there is zero way to charge up with my schedule sometimes and no superchargers close most of the time. When I’m trying to make different events time isn’t on your side and superchargers are out of the way.

Regardless, on a daily basis, it’s really not a big deal. I just hit a perfect storm one day. I don’t want to plan every trip when I’m running around to different places on a daily basis but would on a longer trip for sure.
Yeah, I got it. I guess my situation makes me lucky. I'm in a place where I can drive my Model Y like I do a regular car. The only minor issue we sometimes have is sharing one charger with four cars, so we all have to regulate our charging.

As far as range is concerned, I pretty much have a "feel" of what my limits are. With 20 percent, I can generally travel almost 50 miles from home if an emergency should arise, and grab a quick 10 min charge to get back home.
Old 02-09-24, 08:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Y
As far as range is concerned, I pretty much have a "feel" of what my limits are. With 20 percent, I can generally travel almost 50 miles from home if an emergency should arise, and grab a quick 10 min charge to get back home.
So basically it's the same as a gas car when you get the "feel" of how much juice/gas is left. I know my low fuel lights like the back of my hands, you can run them wayyy down. I guess I'm saying by the time the light comes on I don't need it because I "know the car" after how many hundreds of tanks of gas. Is that what you're saying? That's cool if so. I'm the type of guy that would get range anxiety below 50%, unfortunately.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJT123:
Old 02-09-24, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

yup on my ev i think of 10% kinda like a 'gallon' or say 25mi.

The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
Old 02-09-24, 09:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
So basically it's the same as a gas car when you get the "feel" of how much juice/gas is left. I know my low fuel lights like the back of my hands, you can run them wayyy down. I guess I'm saying by the time the light comes on I don't need it because I "know the car" after how many hundreds of tanks of gas. Is that what you're saying? That's cool if so. I'm the type of guy that would get range anxiety below 50%, unfortunately.
Our X7 is what my wife drives when I have the Tesla and other than long trips I don’t need to know how much gas is left because either I get in the car and I see that my wife left me with less than a quarter tank or she tells me that it needs gas and she will take the Tesla when we both have to drive to separate places so she doesn’t have to fill up. I think she has filled up once since we’ve had it because I was out of town.

So basically for her EV or ICE she never has range anxiety.
Old 02-09-24, 09:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Exactly right. I know the limits. In my mind, 20 percent charge is empty, with my Sienna, I don't let it get below quarter tank.

Yeah, I just "know"
Old 02-09-24, 09:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Our X7 is what my wife drives when I have the Tesla and other than long trips I don’t need to know how much gas is left because either I get in the car and I see that my wife left me with less than a quarter tank or she tells me that it needs gas and she will take the Tesla when we both have to drive to separate places so she doesn’t have to fill up. I think she has filled up once since we’ve had it because I was out of town.

So basically for her EV or ICE she never has range anxiety.
For some reason, don't ask me why, my wife loved filling up at Costco. So I never had to worry much about her car (the Sienna before the Ioniq) being empty. In fact when I got her the first Ioniq EV, she told me she missed filling up at Costco
Old 02-09-24, 10:49 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

On another note I think I may consider getting another Plaid late spring and getting rid of my current one. If the rumored changes of ambient lighting and front camera are true, I may take the hit and buy another one but maybe in black. I love my white one but I can’t get the same color as the one I had otherwise I would just keep it.
AMIRZA786 (02-10-24), Hameed (02-10-24)
Old 02-09-24, 11:30 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Going back and forth to dance competitions and hockey games. That is my typical weekend. This one just happened 35 miles each way. Next day was a drive out to Haymarket, VA with some stops in between. Not really errands but life with teenagers who can’t drive. Thats why I didn’t think much about range. I put in Waze how far it was each way and it was 35 miles. Add to and from the ice rink was max 10 miles each way plus heading out to grab a bite. Max 180 miles, didn’t think that would kill my battery at 80%.

I usually don’t bother calculating because worst case I usually arrive home with at least 50 miles to spare so never crossed my mind.

Daily my wife and I always take the Tesla because it’s easy to drive. I go to the gym in the morning, then drop off my son at school (no bus service), then my wife picks my son up from school, then takes him to high school hockey practice, sometimes I pick him up from practice, then I take him to club hockey practice and back home, and then sometimes pick my daughter up at dance. That doesn’t include the errands my wife runs during the day to her gym or the store. With all that running around I still end up having about 70-80 miles of range left so I never think twice about range but every day can be different.
I do a lot of daily driving like this. It’s nothing for us to drive 100+ miles in one day and never leave town. Work commute is 43-44 miles roundtrip alone.

Yeah, I got it. I guess my situation makes me lucky. I'm in a place where I can drive my Model Y like I do a regular car. The only minor issue we sometimes have is sharing one charger with four cars, so we all have to regulate our charging.

If you ever drive outside of California you may not be so lucky or at least experience what a lot others experience far as lack of charging availability.

In the LX when the DTE reads 0, it has 4 gallons left. I’m not the type to rush to a gas station soon as I see the gas light.

Has anyone driven down to the -negative %? I’ve seen videos on YouTube of it being done. I would be that guy. 🫣
Old 02-10-24, 04:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bowser
This, always this. Do you guys check how many talk/text/surfing minutes left on your phone?
That would be kind of silly on an unlimited plan.
bowser (02-10-24)
Old 02-10-24, 06:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not only are those wheels tiny, but the wheel arches look tiny, dwarfed by the massive front end. this car is no looker, imo.
They do look odd. They could be winter wheels and tires. Not sure.
Old 02-10-24, 07:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

In the LX when the DTE reads 0, it has 4 gallons left. I’m not the type to rush to a gas station soon as I see the gas light.
It's very annoying. My guess is they did it for people off roading to give them plenty of backup to get gas.

Has anyone driven down to the -negative %? I’ve seen videos on YouTube of it being done. I would be that guy. 🫣
I just saw one, I'll try to find the link. A guy in a CT made it to a supercharger on -5%. He barely crawled in there but he did make it.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation