EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 10:54 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Anyone regularly driving 100 miles a day in town/city driving should absolutely consider an EV. They are at their most efficient in urban driving. They are the polar opposite of ICE vehicles in that respect.
I would have to go home or out of the way to charge if I needed to charge while running around. There’s only 8 EV DC fast chargers in my area (next closest is 37 miles away in another state) and they are all Tesla. So I would have to own a Tesla or hope I have enough charge to run around and make it home.
Old 02-11-24, 12:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
That DTE is inaccurate on every Toyota/lexus vehicle we have. The gas light comes on in my Tundra when there’s 8 gallons left and shows 23 DTE. Low fuel light comes on when there’s 23 miles left in Prius. I drive an extra 100 miles before I start looking for gas. Consensus says Toyota does this to keep the fuel pump cool but I think Toyota makes it idiot proof to run out. I’ve ran out 4x…🫣🥹😂 trying to how much I can get away with.
Yeah, DTE is terribly inaccurate in our LX. The needle moves after 5 minutes of driving already lol, and then puts the warning light on when there's at least 50 city miles left.

However, DTE is about dead on with the LS430, interestingly enough. I've run out of gas before lol, so I know. Stressful at the time but then I laughed later how there was a broken down LS430... in front of the BMW dealership, hilarious.

430 will give you a number range and then go down to "low fuel". After that you've got maybe 20 miles left, get your *** to a gas station.

Fuel pump is fine fwiw, never any problems.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 12:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

I would have to go home or out of the way to charge if I needed to charge while running around. There’s only 8 EV DC fast chargers in my area (next closest is 37 miles away in another state) and they are all Tesla. So I would have to own a Tesla or hope I have enough charge to run around and make it home.
I'm not advocating or trying to encourage you to dump your current cars for an EV, you've already mentioned that they work for you, plus it just wouldn't make financial sense. That said, I've easily driven over a hundred miles in a day and didn't have to visit a supercharger or have to charge multiple times in the same day. When I got home, I just plugged in and was ready to go the next morning. A friend of mine drives an i4 and commutes from a city called Tracy to his office in Sunnyvale (he works for Meta) which is about 60 miles each way. I asked him about his charging, and he said he can go two days without charging, but plugs in every night. His office has level 2 charging spots, but he never uses them because they are always full. So it's 100 percent doable.
BayeauxLex (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 01:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Does anyone honestly find this car attractive??? Be honest. This isn't against EVs it's just how ugly these MBs are. They aren't selling, at least around here. I think I've seen one on the road over the years. I truly want to know if anyone finds this car good looking. It’s hideous IMO, and nobody wants an ugly Mercedes Benz. This is where BMW comes in, making the i7 look nearly identical to the gas 7. Smarrrrrt move.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-11-24 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-11-24, 05:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

^^ to me it's rather plain, but not hideous. i still prefer it to the 'brick' bmw 7 series.
i think sharing the platform for i7 and 7 series was a monumental mistake compromising both vehicles.
as for not seeing the eqs on the road, the only place i've seen a new 7 series is at the dealership.
but i'm sure both are selling, in relatively small numbers.
Hameed (02-13-24)
Old 02-11-24, 06:07 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Does anyone honestly find this car attractive??? Be honest. This isn't against EVs it's just how ugly these MBs are. They aren't selling, at least around here. I think I've seen one on the road over the years. I truly want to know if anyone finds this car good looking. It’s hideous IMO, and nobody wants an ugly Mercedes Benz. This is where BMW comes in, making the i7 look nearly identical to the gas 7. Smarrrrrt move.

My wife coworker has one and he loves it!! There are worse looking cars out there for sure!!
bitkahuna (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 06:51 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I used to think they were hideous when they first came out. They've grown on me - I'm not gonna say I like it, but I dislike it less. The interior is really nice. They are surprisingly common in my 3-5 mile bubble so I see them frequently.
Old 02-11-24, 06:56 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
T-Mobile just announced a cool perk - no need to recharge EVs on rentals from Hertz. Not sure of any limitations but if I were a customer I’d rent an EV now (we’re an Avis house)
That's totally random but a really cool perk. Clearly you'd have to do some type of linking your info between T Mobile and Hertz. I wonder what the benefit is for T Mobile- they would be paying Hertz something; curious what they get out of it.
Old 02-11-24, 07:01 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
This is the i7 I test drove last year. I like this front end better.

What is the difference in this front end and the other one posted (at the dealership)? I can't tell a difference. Also, is it just the flash/camera or is the grille illuminated on this one (or all i7s)? And agree - the chrome delete on these cars makes a world of difference. i7 is by far my favorite EV sedan styling. I'm terrified to sit in one and drive it, I have a feeling it'd be in my garage soon.
Old 02-11-24, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

You’re the perfect 1st owner 2nd hand owners love to purchase from. Meticulously cared for minus the auto car wash swirls😁. My old LS 460 came with a gospel cd in the cd player. Clear sign, it was meant for me to buy!!.
Just polish out the swirls and they are perfect! Whole front end PPF too so no chips.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I used to think they were hideous when they first came out. They've grown on me - I'm not gonna say I like it, but I dislike it less. The interior is really nice. They are surprisingly common in my 3-5 mile bubble so I see them frequently.
This is where I am. I don’t hate them like I did at first but I still dramatically prefer a traditional sedan look.

What is the difference in this front end and the other one posted (at the dealership)? I can't tell a difference. Also, is it just the flash/camera or is the grille illuminated on this one (or all i7s)? And agree - the chrome delete on these cars makes a world of difference. i7 is by far my favorite EV sedan styling. I'm terrified to sit in one and drive it, I have a feeling it'd be in my garage soon.
The entire front clip is different, more angular. Yes the grill lights up.
BayeauxLex (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

What is the difference in this front end and the other one posted (at the dealership)? I can't tell a difference.
look at the lower left/right of front -quite different.
jrmckinley (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

This is the luxury line:

This is the M Sport:

For me I have to hide the black sections with a dark color with the M Sport, I also don't like black trim on light colored cars. I don't really want a dark color because of maintenance.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
bitkahuna (02-12-24), jrmckinley (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 07:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm not advocating or trying to encourage you to dump your current cars for an EV, you've already mentioned that they work for you, plus it just wouldn't make financial sense. That said, I've easily driven over a hundred miles in a day and didn't have to visit a supercharger or have to charge multiple times in the same day. When I got home, I just plugged in and was ready to go the next morning. A friend of mine drives an i4 and commutes from a city called Tracy to his office in Sunnyvale (he works for Meta) which is about 60 miles each way. I asked him about his charging, and he said he can go two days without charging, but plugs in every night. His office has level 2 charging spots, but he never uses them because they are always full. So it's 100 percent doable.
I agree, pretty much every EV can do 100 miles a day easily without having to charge. Can I go two days without charging, most of the time no but I charge every night so it’s not an issue. Are there days where I go 200 miles in a day, sure but it’s rare. I drive a ton every day and it hasn’t been an issue but a few times so that wouldn’t stop me one bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (02-11-24), BayeauxLex (02-11-24)
Old 02-11-24, 08:02 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I’m with you on this. In certain pics and angles it doesn’t look the best but I don’t think they are that ugly anymore now that I’ve seen them on the road. Kind of like them now but I would never own one.
Old 02-11-24, 08:08 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is the luxury line:

This is the M Sport:

For me I have to hide the black sections with a dark color with the M Sport, I also don't like black trim on light colored cars. I don't really want a dark color because of maintenance.
These pics show the difference really well and the silver non-M Sport above looks better than the white one for some reason. The earlier white one in the front looked rounder for some reason. I think the 7 series to me just doesn’t look good at all in white. I also agree the M Sport front doesn’t look good on lighter colored cars but I do like it better in dark colored cars.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation