EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 10:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I'm really starting to love the Kia EV9

Old 02-24-24, 04:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Where's your data on this? Hybrids are Toyota/Lexuses best selling vehicles, then hybrid buyers are switching to EV's, this is just a fact backed up by sales numbers. You're telling me EV adoption jumps, then suddenly tanks? Seriously? I remember this is a similar argument Blackberry owners made when they were convinced that the iPhone was only temporary hype that would die off.

I would bet you every cent I had that you are dead wrong, but I don't gamble, unless it involves stocks
The data is right here below just like in the other post, am I misunderstanding your question? I'm just saying I knew exactly this would happen especially with Mercedes, ICEs aren't going anywhere... LOL. The new push for hybrids in lieu of EVs isn't going to work either, hate to tell Uncle Sam that one too.

Mercedes-Benz is backtracking on its EV plans as the luxury automaker plans to continue building gas-powered cars “well into the 2030s.”

Mercedes backtracks on EV-only commitment by 2030

Mercedes announced plans to go all-electric by the end of the decade in 2021, “where market conditions allow.”

The luxury automaker said all newly launched vehicle architectures will be electric-only from 2025 onwards. Mercedes already offers an EV in every segment with the sedan and SUV versions of the EQS and EQE models and the EQB electric SUV.

However, Mercedes announced Thursday it’s backtracking on its EV commitment with plans to produce gas-powered vehicles well into the next decade.

Mercedes-Benz now expects electrified vehicles (including hybrids) to represent 50% of total sales in 2030, drastically lower than the 100% commitment from 2021.

After the automaker’s net profits slipped 21% in Q4, Mercedes is slowing its transition. Mercedes says it “will be able to cater to different customer needs well into the 2030s.”[/QUOTE]
Old 02-24-24, 04:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
The data is right here below just like in the other post, am I misunderstanding your question? I'm just saying I knew exactly this would happen especially with Mercedes, ICEs aren't going anywhere... LOL. The new push for hybrids in lieu of EVs isn't going to work either, hate to tell Uncle Sam that one too.

Mercedes-Benz is backtracking on its EV plans as the luxury automaker plans to continue building gas-powered cars “well into the 2030s.”

Mercedes backtracks on EV-only commitment by 2030

Mercedes announced plans to go all-electric by the end of the decade in 2021, “where market conditions allow.”

The luxury automaker said all newly launched vehicle architectures will be electric-only from 2025 onwards. Mercedes already offers an EV in every segment with the sedan and SUV versions of the EQS and EQE models and the EQB electric SUV.

However, Mercedes announced Thursday it’s backtracking on its EV commitment with plans to produce gas-powered vehicles well into the next decade.

Mercedes-Benz now expects electrified vehicles (including hybrids) to represent 50% of total sales in 2030, drastically lower than the 100% commitment from 2021.

After the automaker’s net profits slipped 21% in Q4, Mercedes is slowing its transition. Mercedes says it “will be able to cater to different customer needs well into the 2030s.”
[/QUOTE]
You haven't provided any data other than Mercedes is slowing down their EV plans. Also, you seem to be skipping the fact that Mercedes sales of their overall ICE is mostly negative, while their EV sales actually jumped over 400 percent. How convenient.

You also haven't shown us any data that shows signs EV adoption has slowed, when in fact it's growing year by year. For example, Tesla sold 1.3 Million EV's in 2022, and 1.8 in 2023. How do you explain that? And how do you explain Hyundai and Kia's sales of EV's was up 56 percent from 2022?

I understand you don't like EV's. That's all and well. But they are not disappearing just because Mercedes sales are overall slumping. Just because their customers aren't thrilled about their EQ line doesn't spell the death of EV's. And sorry, you are completely wrong on hybrid sells. The number one selling car/SUV in North America was none other than the Rav4 hybrid (beat the Model Y by 3,000 units )
Old 02-24-24, 05:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Virtually every automaker has or is backtracking on EV plans (not abandoning, backtracking)..... Mercedes EV only by 2030? That's laughing stock and always was.

In what world are y'all living in? Nobody is saying EVs are going anywhere but CLEARLY the market is speaking. Now all the sudden all the brands are backtracking to hybrids... you're not seeing that???

BTW I don't hate EVs. I hate the TV telling me to buy one, and that's also half the reason people are losing interest or more likely never had it in the first place.

You guys aren't constantly bombarded to buy a 3 ton SUV and jettison your current beloved vehicles.
Old 02-24-24, 05:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Virtually every automaker has or is backtracking on EV plans (not abandoning, backtracking)..... Mercedes EV only by 2030? That's laughing stock and always was.

In what world are y'all living in? Nobody is saying EVs are going anywhere but CLEARLY the market is speaking. Now all the sudden all the brands are backtracking to hybrids... you're not seeing that???

BTW I don't hate EVs. I hate the TV telling me to buy one, and that's also half the reason people are losing interest or more likely never had it in the first place.

You guys aren't constantly bombarded to buy a 3 ton SUV and jettison your current beloved vehicles.
I agree with you on the 2030 date, that's just silly. Gasoline cars will be around for awhile, much longer than 2030. As far as backtracking on EV's, the whole automobile market has slowed, which includes gas cars. Right now cars are sitting on dealer lots, mostly ICE. Toyota backtracked to Hybrids because they are obviously not ready for EV's with that cluster of a car the BZ4X LoL. And Hybrids still sell and are profitable. But at the same time, companies like Hyundai/Kia and Tesla have doubled down because these companies planned properly. Kia is about to electrify one of their most popular cars, the Stinger GT.

Companies routinely backtrack on their timelines. When the Model 3 first came out, one of my friends put a deposit on it. It was supposed to be 3 months, that turned into 6 months, which turned into more than a year before he took delivery.

I don't watch traditional TV bro, I stream everything so I don't see commercials. For Youtube I have an ad-blocker. Anyway, I don't buy products, especially cars based on commercials. I do my own research, which is usually months before I even test drive them. Nobody has ever told me what to buy, gas or BEV powered

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-24-24 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (02-25-24)
Old 02-24-24, 07:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree with you on the 2030 date, that's just silly. Gasoline cars will be around for awhile, much longer than 2030. As far as backtracking on EV's, the whole automobile market has slowed, which includes gas cars. Right now cars are sitting on dealer lots, mostly ICE. Toyota backtracked to Hybrids because they are obviously not ready for EV's with that cluster of a car the BZ4X LoL. And Hybrids still sell and are profitable. But at the same time, companies like Hyundai/Kia and Tesla have doubled down because these companies planned properly. Kia is about to electrify one of their most popular cars, the Stinger GT.

Companies routinely backtrack on their timelines. When the Model 3 first came out, one of my friends put a deposit on it. It was supposed to be 3 months, that turned into 6 months, which turned into more than a year before he took delivery.

I don't watch traditional TV bro, I stream everything so I don't see commercials. For Youtube I have an ad-blocker. Anyway, I don't buy products, especially cars based on commercials. I do my own research, which is usually months before I even test drive them. Nobody has ever told me what to buy, gas or BEV powered

Old 02-24-24, 07:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

That's one of the most misleading articles ever written. EV has batteries no engine, hybrid has batteries and engine what matters is life cycle emissions. We've been over this so many times on this forum I've lost count.

AMIRZA786 (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 07:28 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

BTW I don't hate EVs. I hate the TV telling me to buy one
Step away from the TV, and take control of your life. You claim to not hate EV's, but they seem to get you really worked up. Just enjoy what makes you happy as long as you can. Life is short.

The following 5 users liked this post by Mike728:
AMIRZA786 (02-24-24), BayeauxLex (02-24-24), bowser (02-24-24), Hameed (02-25-24), swajames (02-25-24)
Old 02-24-24, 07:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
That's a laughable BS story to cover up the fact that Toyota messed up when it comes to electrification. Tesla sold 1.8 million model Y's lol. If Toyota had stuck to their original plan in 2010, they would have dominated the EV market. Unfortunately they had an incompetent CEO with zero foresight, who's thankfully no longer CEO
BayeauxLex (02-24-24)
Old 02-25-24, 05:38 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I sense some excitement QUOTE]

No excitement, just I knew this would happen. I've been told MB won't make any more ICEs and disagreed then.
Even MB said this, with their all-electric by 2030 claim. I called BS on this too. Like other automakers, just trying to get their slice of the government cheese from the huge green energy bill called the inflation reduction act. Don't believe any of them.

Last edited by Bob04; 02-25-24 at 05:49 AM.
LexTess (02-26-24)
Old 02-25-24, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

There's a difference between calling something BS because you desperately don't want it to happen, and being somebody who sees the future. Just sayin lol
Old 02-25-24, 06:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
Even MB said this, with their all-electric by 2030 claim. I called BS on this too. Like other automakers, just trying to get their slice of the government cheese from the huge green energy bill called the inflation reduction act. Don't believe any of them.
Unsurprisingly most did, they're backtracking. GM canceled the mid size electric truck and the Silverado EV I don't think will ever see the light of day. They've delivered 18 of them.

Mercedes is drastically changing the look and thinking of dropping the "EQ" from the name.

I don't watch traditional TV bro, I stream everything so I don't see commercials.EV powered
You know what I mean, you can't deny there is a push.

Originally Posted by Mike728
Step away from the TV, and take control of your life. You claim to not hate EV's, but they seem to get you really worked up. Just enjoy what makes you happy as long as you can. Life is short.
I appreciate your concern but my life is not out of control. Based on basically every metric the demand has softened considerably for EVs. Everyone is backtracking. That's just a fact. I didn't say they were going anywhere because they're not.

Old 02-25-24, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes is drastically changing the look and thinking of dropping the "EQ" from the name.
How have they changed the look of their EQ cars? They said from the very beginning that they would combine the EQ and traditional cars into one EV car.

on basically every metric the demand has softened considerably for EVs. Everyone is backtracking. That's just a fact. I didn't say they were going anywhere because they're not.
Here we go again. Demand for EVs has not softened, its grown. Market share is growing, not shrinking. Every year more consumers are buying EVs, not fewer...

Carmakers over estimated the demand for EVs, thats different than demand shrinking.

I appreciate your concern but my life is not out of control
What he's saying is you are letting the media control what you like and dislike. The very thing you want to avoid is what you are actually doing. Difference is you are wired to do the opposite of what the media "wants you to do", the net result is the same...the media controls you.

Make decisions independently. Any media or government push for EVs doesn't impact my desires or decision making in the slightest. I think if you were free of the bias the media is creating for you, you would be EV's biggest fan. Go drive a BMW i7, there is nothing there you wouldn't absolutely love. Its like an LS430 improved by the hand of God.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-25-24 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-25-24, 08:08 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't see how anybody can drive an EV and not come away loving the way an EV drives.
If I read your posts here and there right, it's highly your next car will be an EV. I wonder... what it would it be that would make you happy from the long list of cars you've driven. No doubt driving an EV is a different experience. Many positive things to say. But is it enough to cover all other things/features that you've been used to?
Old 02-25-24, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
If I read your posts here and there right, it's highly your next car will be an EV. I wonder... what it would it be that would make you happy from the long list of cars you've driven. No doubt driving an EV is a different experience. Many positive things to say. But is it enough to cover all other things/features that you've been used to?
The only thing stopping me from getting an EV is availability of charging on trips. If I had lots of options along the routes of the trips I take in the car I would do it.

I would still have all the things I’m used to, I wouldn’t compromise and get say a Model S just to get an EV. It would be an i7 or something like that where I also have all the other things in the car that I am used to.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation