EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-24, 09:39 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The only thing stopping me from getting an EV is availability of charging on trips. If I had lots of options along the routes of the trips I take in the car I would do it.
I would still have all the things I’m used to, I wouldn’t compromise and get say a Model S just to get an EV. It would be an i7 or something like that where I also have all the other things in the car that I am used to.
I think i7 is a good choice for folks like you. I like look more than anything else. I have to like it first. So Tesla would be the choice for me. I can deal/give up other stuff, but not the suspension. As of now, I think it's a good daily. But if you plan to use for long drives, even with good charging network, I don't think it will serve that purpose well.
Old 02-27-24, 09:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Hyundai fast-tracks start of EV production in the US as it gains recognition with its own day

February 26, 2024, will forever be known as Hyundai Day in the state of Georgia as the automaker gears up to begin production at its first dedicated EV and battery plant in the US later this year.

Hyundai earns its own day in GA for its EV Metaplant

Hyundai announced its fast-tracking production at its Hyundai Motor Group Metaplant America (HMGMA) in Georgia.

The automaker now expects to begin building electric cars in the US in the fourth quarter of 2024, with the grand opening in the first quarter of next year. Hyundai initially planned to begin production early next year, but the automaker is plowing ahead with the $7,500 federal tax credit on the line.

“Georgia is like a second home to us,” Jose Munoz, Hyundai Motor America CEO, explained. Munoz said the company was “very proud that Hyundai’s investments in Georgia will create tens of thousands of great paying American jobs” while bringing tens of billions into the state.

Hyundai was rewarded for its contributions to the state’s largest economic project. It even tops Rivian’s $5 billion EV factory outside of Atlanta.

The General Assembly passed a resolution declaring February 26, 2024, as Hyundai Day at the state capital for its dedication to GA.

Hyundai is investing $7.59 billion, creating 8,500 direct jobs. On top of this, Hyundai’s $5 billion battery plant with SK On will employ an additional 3,500 employees.

According to a Center for Automotive Research study, Hyundai’s EV manufacturing investments total over $12.6 billion in the US, generating 50,000 new jobs.

Hyundai and state leaders celebrated the automaker’s positive impact with Hyundai and Genesis EVs, including the IONIQ 5, IONIQ 6, GV60, and Electrified GV70, on display outside the State Capital.

Eletrek’s Take

With 51,411 electric vehicle registrations in the US last year, Hyundai was the fourth best-selling EV maker in the US behind GM’s Chevy, Ford, and Tesla.

And that was without its electric models qualifying for the $7,500 EV tax credit (only through a leasing loophole).

While US automakers Ford and GM are slowing EV initiatives, Hyundai is surging ahead. The South Korean automaker is expected to introduce its first three-row electric SUV, the IONIQ 7, this summer.

With a near complete line of EVs built on its dedicated E-GMP platform, I wouldn’t bet against Hyundai. “2024 is going to be a great year for HMGMA,” president and CEO of the plant, Oscar Kwon, said. Kwon noted the site “is advancing every day.”

Munoz previously said Hyundai is “pulling ahead,” with the start of production expected as soon as October. The Group’s leader told Automotive News earlier this month that Hyundai is fast-tracking production “because everybody knows how important it is” to qualify for the tax credit.

Electric vehicles built at the facility are expected to qualify for the tax credit. Munoz said earlier this month, “There are a lot of moving pieces, but I am confident very shortly after we start, we will be compliant.”

Once up and running, Hyundai expects to build 300,000 EVs annually. That number can go up to 500,000 if needed, according to Hyundai.

The news comes after Hyundai slashed prices on its best-selling IONIQ 5 electric SUV this month. Hyundai introduced a rare 0% financing deal that could amount to $7,800 in savings compared to a same-priced Tesla model.

https://electrek.co/2024/02/27/hyund...-us-gains-day/
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (02-27-24)
Old 02-27-24, 09:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I think i7 is a good choice for folks like you. I like look more than anything else. I have to like it first. So Tesla would be the choice for me. I can deal/give up other stuff, but not the suspension. As of now, I think it's a good daily. But if you plan to use for long drives, even with good charging network, I don't think it will serve that purpose well.
You wouldn't be giving up anything suspension wise with a Model X, it's air suspension is very good. I test drove a Model X last year and drove it on a really bad road, and it ate up all the bumps (had it in auto mode).

For Steve who wants to get into a "normal" car, the i5 and i7 is definitely good choices. They are exactly the same as their ICE counterparts, with an electric drivetrain
Old 02-27-24, 11:10 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Imagine my utter shock. You'll have to imagine because this is the least surprising news ever

Old 02-27-24, 11:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I didn't think it would happen. It would be too expensive a car, and I can't imagine Apple putting Billions into factories, even though they have the money. I can see them though working on software related to EV's
Old 02-27-24, 11:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I didn't think it would happen. It would be too expensive a car, and I can't imagine Apple putting Billions into factories, even though they have the money.
Who at Apple is responsible for thinking they could be come a car company?
I can see them though working on software related to EV's
Like what, self driving tech?
Old 02-27-24, 11:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Could be as integrated as what Google is doing with Google Automotive, or could be as shallow as CarPlay with additional access to a car's controls

Edit: Wired also had an article that said Apple was working on AV tech.

Last edited by Allen K; 02-27-24 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-27-24)
Old 02-27-24, 11:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Like what, self driving tech?
Possibly, but I would think more integrating IOS into infotainment screens like Google is doing with Google Automotive. The self driving ship has sailed

EDIT

^^ Allen beat me to it ^^
Old 02-27-24, 12:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed

Hyundai fast-tracks start of EV production in the US as it gains recognition with its own day

https://electrek.co/2024/02/27/hyund...-us-gains-day/

February 26, 2024, will forever be known as Hyundai Day in the state of Georgia as the automaker gears up to begin production at its first dedicated EV and battery plant in the US later this year.

Hyundai earns its own day in GA for its EV Metaplant
Hyundai announced its fast-tracking production at its Hyundai Motor Group Metaplant America (HMGMA) in Georgia.

The automaker now expects to begin building electric cars in the US in the fourth quarter of 2024, with the grand opening in the first quarter of next year. Hyundai initially planned to begin production early next year, but the automaker is plowing ahead with the $7,500 federal tax credit on the line.“Georgia is like a second home to us,” Jose Munoz, Hyundai Motor America CEO, explained. Munoz said the company was “very proud that Hyundai’s investments in Georgia will create tens of thousands of great paying American jobs” while bringing tens of billions into the state.

Hyundai was rewarded for its contributions to the state’s largest economic project. It even tops Rivian’s $5 billion EV factory outside of Atlanta.

The General Assembly passed a resolution declaring February 26, 2024, as Hyundai Day at the state capital for its dedication to GA.

Hyundai is investing $7.59 billion, creating 8,500 direct jobs. On top of this, Hyundai’s $5 billion battery plant with SK On will employ an additional 3,500 employees.

According to a Center for Automotive Research study, Hyundai’s EV manufacturing investments total over $12.6 billion in the US, generating 50,000 new jobs.

Hyundai and state leaders celebrated the automaker’s positive impact with Hyundai and Genesis EVs, including the IONIQ 5, IONIQ 6, GV60, and Electrified GV70, on display outside the State Capital.
There's definitely an echo in here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-...ation-194.html
Post # 1938
Old 02-27-24, 01:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Next time take the meeting Tim.

Old 02-27-24, 01:11 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

You wouldn't be giving up anything suspension wise with a Model X, it's air suspension is very good. I test drove a Model X last year and drove it on a really bad road, and it ate up all the bumps (had it in auto mode).

For Steve who wants to get into a "normal" car, the i5 and i7 is definitely good choices. They are exactly the same as their ICE counterparts, with an electric drivetrain
I guess it's all relative. You and some others also say MY's suspension is silky smooth. It's only smooth when there's no bump. MX's is certainly better but not comparable to similar priced vehicles. Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined? I doubt that someone who has had S/LS would be happy with Tesla's suspension.
Old 02-27-24, 01:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I guess it's all relative. You and some others also say MY's suspension is silky smooth. It's only smooth when there's no bump. MX's is certainly better but not comparable to similar priced vehicles. Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined? I doubt that someone who has had S/LS would be happy with Tesla's suspension.
No, I never said MY's suspension is silky smooth Lol. Never have I said that. I said Model X's is smooth. No, it's definitely not S/LS smooth for sure, but it's relatively smooth. Hopefully the record has been corrected
Old 02-27-24, 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

yes how dare anyone think they can enter a market where your holy leader reigns supreme.

once upon a time apple also dared to enter the phone business when blackberry and nokia ruled everything. imagine that.

I didn't think it would happen. It would be too expensive a car, and I can't imagine Apple putting Billions into factories, even though they have the money. I can see them though working on software related to EV's
first i expect cars aren't profitable enough to interest apple. second, even if this 'news' is true, apple may have simply concluded there's better things to spend r&d on. i also think that with so many young people broke, they may be able to buy that must have iphone on a payment plan, but a nice car? unlikely and even more unlikely with a recession probably looming. and more affluent young people are being laid off in huge numbers. elon paved the way there too, showing so many people at trendy tech companies were useless and a waste of money.

Next time take the meeting Tim.
tha'ts funny. even if he had, no telling that tesla would have emerged the same way. elon musk certainly wouldn't have lasted under tim cook.
Old 02-27-24, 01:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes how dare anyone think they can enter a market where your holy leader reigns supreme.
Elon really triggers you huh. And how did that work out again? Seems holy leader does reign.
once upon a time apple also dared to enter the phone business when blackberry and nokia ruled everything. imagine that.
Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs. Jobs reinvented the portable computing device space, Apple just dropped out of the EV space before they ever got off the ground could you make a worse comparison?
first i expect cars aren't profitable enough to interest apple. second, even if this 'news' is true, apple may have simply concluded there's better things to spend r&d on. i also think that with so many young people broke, they may be able to buy that must have iphone on a payment plan, but a nice car? unlikely and even more unlikely with a recession probably looming. and more affluent young people are being laid off in huge numbers. elon paved the way there too, showing so many people at trendy tech companies were useless and a waste of money.
Apple spent 10+ years trying to make an EV they were most certainly interested. But keep apologizing for your dear holy leader Tim Cook.

Old 02-27-24, 02:04 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Cool it with the back and forth.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation