EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24 | 10:18 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm actually going to start dailying the Polestar soon, probably from next month, but that said, the Model Y is not that far behind in performance. If I got the Performance upgrade, it would be faster than the Polestar.

Nope, can't smoke them, but I could keep pace with them until about maybe 80 mph. Also, the Polestar was just around $50k, is "sporty" but not a sports car, while the Panamera & Cayenne are over $100k
In that fashion my PHEV “can keep pace” with your EVs which is another way of saying gracefully lose.

If I want to drive faster, I will drive my track car
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24 | 10:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

I use nav on every drive I take and it suggests charging stops if one is required. Do you consider that trip planning?
Old 03-13-24 | 10:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
In that fashion my PHEV “can keep pace” with your EVs which is another way of saying gracefully lose.

If I want to drive faster, I will drive my track car
Don't take it personally, I have no issues with you loving your PHEV. It was the same way with my gas cars, once I reached a certain level of performance, I couldn't go back. Now that I've reached higher performance with BEV's, I can't go back
Old 03-13-24 | 10:25 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by Allen K
You buy what meets your needs. If I had to tow, I wouldn't buy an EV. If I liked to take roadtrips, I wouldn't buy an EV. I prefer to spend more time at my location vs. driving there so I will opt to fly over driving 5+ hours.

That said, I'm headed from NJ to Boston for Thanksgiving this year (we plan ahead ) and I took 10 minutes to 1) find a hotel I liked that had EV charging and 2) see if there was fast charging along the way. The tradeoff for that 10 minutes of planning is having an 835HP daily driver that is a legitimate joy to drive and cost me pennies per day to charge
I guess it’s like roadtripping in a high horsepower super car that doesn’t get the greatest fuel range 10-15mpg on highway and the tradeoff is you have to make frequent gas stops before reaching your destination even if that trip is relatively short under 300 miles.

I can look at it that way.
Old 03-13-24 | 10:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I guess it’s like roadtripping in a high horsepower super car that doesn’t get the greatest fuel range 10-15mpg on highway and the tradeoff is you have to make frequent gas stops before reaching your destination even if that trip is relatively short under 300 miles.

I can look at it that way.
A better way of thinking about it is a car that has a 3 gallon gas tank. It gets good performance, 100 MPG, but has a small gas tank
Old 03-13-24 | 10:33 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Honestly, planning the charging stops is kind of like a puzzle and it can be enjoyable. We usually pair it with a lunch stop so we can find a nice place to eat on the road. Most EVs can handle 300 miles with a single charge in the middle. Maybe opt for one towards the end so you have some extra cushion when you arrive at your destination

When we relo'd from CA to NJ, we opted to take the road trip option so we would arrive around the same time our stuff would arrive. Our longest stretch was Denver -> Omaha which took about 8 hours and never again!

Old 03-13-24 | 10:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Honestly, planning the charging stops is kind of like a puzzle and it can be enjoyable. We usually pair it with a lunch stop so we can find a nice place to eat on the road. Most EVs can handle 300 miles with a single charge in the middle. Maybe opt for one towards the end so you have some extra cushion when you arrive at your destination

When we relo'd from CA to NJ, we opted to take the road trip option so we would arrive around the same time our stuff would arrive. Our longest stretch was Denver -> Omaha which took about 8 hours and never again!
So you are originally a California native?

Longest drive I ever did was Los Angeles to Houston. Geez Louise! When we got into Amarillo, I thought, were here! Than 8 hours later, we were still in Amarillo . I was 19 year old at the time. Never again...
Old 03-13-24 | 10:42 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

I use nav on every drive I take and it suggests charging stops if one is required. Do you consider that trip planning?
I do as well. But I guess it’s different in an EV where it suggest charging stops. I’m referencing to the multiple posts on this forum where guys planning their charging stops maybe skipping one charging station but spending more time at another charger. Then I’m sure there’s a mph sweet spot on road trips. Although someone will comment they travel 80-90mph in their EV on roadtrips.

Don't take it personally, I have no issues with you loving your PHEV. It was the same way with my gas cars, once I reached a certain level of performance, I couldn't go back. Now that I've reached higher performance with BEV's, I can't go back
I have 6 vehicles. My PHEV serves its purpose. As do the other 5.
Old 03-13-24 | 10:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

So you are originally a California native?

Longest drive I ever did was Los Angeles to Houston. Geez Louise! When we got into Amarillo, I thought, were here! Than 8 hours later, we were still in Amarillo . I was 19 year old at the time. Never again...
Yup, been out in NJ for a little over 10 years now. We did OC -> Vegas -> Denver -> Omaha -> Chicago -> Cleveland -> Hershey -> Central NJ. We took about 11 days to do it because we stayed a few extra days in Chicago, but everything else was an overnight stop. 10 years later I wouldn't do this again lol
AMIRZA786 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24 | 10:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yup, been out in NJ for a little over 10 years now. We did OC -> Vegas -> Denver -> Omaha -> Chicago -> Cleveland -> Hershey -> Central NJ. We took about 11 days to do it because we stayed a few extra days in Chicago, but everything else was an overnight stop. 10 years later I wouldn't do this again lol
Yeah, I would never do that drive LoL. I have relatives that live in Edison and my wife's nephew in South Jersey near the PA border. In 2015 I had a 3 week IT bootcamp in Bushkill, PA, I landed in Newark and drove to Bushkill in a Prius rental. I think I only had to fill it up once the whole trip
Old 03-13-24 | 10:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

I do as well. But I guess it’s different in an EV where it suggest charging stops. I’m referencing to the multiple posts on this forum where guys planning their charging stops maybe skipping one charging station but spending more time at another charger. Then I’m sure there’s a mph sweet spot on road trips. Although someone will comment they travel 80-90mph in their EV on roadtrips.
I'd consider that more sharing experiences than anything else. You certainly could drive 80-90MPH on the roadtrip, but you'll take a 20-30% range hit for it. When I know I need to go over 100 miles one way, I'll average 70 mph so I can get back without needing to charge. I only charge to 80% on a daily basis which gives me an indicated 224 since I'm on the all-terrain tires, but realistically I'll get 240 in mild weather.
BayeauxLex (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24 | 12:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

In your situation, I drive my PHEV in EV mode daily. In 17k miles maybe 15k of those miles are all EV.
That's poor use of resources you're lugging around an entire gasoline drivetrain that is dead weight. I'm not slamming your choice but facts are facts. As others have correctly stated every car has some compromise.
Old 03-13-24 | 12:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hyundai to launch a new rugged off-road IONIQ 5 XRT model in the US

After the IONIQ 5 earned Hyundai’s first N-brand treatment, it’s now due for a rugged, off-road XRT upgrade. How will it compare to Rivian’s recently revealed R3X?

Hyundai revealed the new IONIQ 5 refresh earlier this month, which includes several design upgrades, a bigger battery (with more range), and an added rear wiper.

In Korea, Hyundai added about 7 kWh of battery to the new IONIQ 5, bringing the total to 84 kWh. The changes increased the EV’s range to 485 km (301 mi) from 458 km (285 mi) previously.

On the inside, the IONIQ 5 gained additional USB-C ports alongside several relocated buttons and features for added convenience. One of the biggest upgrades is the addition of Hyundai’s Connected Car Navigation Cockpit, including Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.

Hyundai has yet to launch the new IONIQ 5 in the US, but prices stayed about the same in Korea at around 52,400,000 KRW ($39,400).

The 2024 IONIQ 5 starts at $41,800 in the US, but Hyundai has introduced significant incentives, including a $7,500 EV lease bonus and rare 0% APR Financing.

Hyundai also announced Tuesday that its first N brand performance EV, the IONIQ 5 N, will start at $66,100 (excluding destination).

Hyundai to add rugged IONIQ 5 XRT trim

Now, we are learning Hyundai is reportedly planning to launch a rugged XRT variant in North America. According to a report from TheKoreanCarBlog, a new prototype was recently spotted testing.

The models were fully camouflaged, but you could still see a redesigned rear bumper and new parking sensors in the front. The front bumper also appears different than the current or updated IONIQ 5.

The prototype was spotted testing near the Hyundai/Kia Technical Center. Although Hyundai has yet to confirm, the IONIQ 5 XRT will likely feature new upgrades to boost efficiency and range.

The report suggests that the rugged EV is not likely to launch in Korea before this summer. However, the European and US models could debut by the end of 2024.

How will Hyundai’s rugged IONIQ 5 compare to Rivian’s recently revealed R3X? The R3X design was inspired by iconic rally cars of the past, like Audi and Lancia, with a modern spin.

Hyundai’s first three-row electric SUV was also recently spotted testing. The video captures the Hyundai IONIQ 9 driving by, revealing the sleek, large three-row electric SUV.

IONIQ 9 production is expected to begin in the first of the year, with US sales kicking off in mid-2025. It’s expected to be built at Hyundai’s new $7.6 billion Metaplant in Georgia, which is expected to begin building vehicles later this year. Hyundai expects models built at the facility will qualify for the $7,500 EV tax credit.

https://electrek.co/2024/03/12/hyund...rt-variant-us/
Old 03-13-24 | 12:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That's poor use of resources you're lugging around an entire gasoline drivetrain that is dead weight. I'm not slamming your choice but facts are facts. As others have correctly stated every car has some compromise.
I just want to make a quick comment on something you posted earlier @BayeauxLex

If the above is the case, then you would have been better off with a BEV, because as Lex mentions, you are dragging around an engine that's just dead weight. You also said you have 5 cars, I'm sure one of them is either a hybrid or fully gasoline. If that is the case, you would be better off with a BEV for "around town" and a hybrid or fully gas vehicle when you drive those 400 or more miles
Mike728 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24 | 01:46 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

I just want to make a quick comment on something you posted earlier @BayeauxLex

If the above is the case, then you would have been better off with a BEV, because as Lex mentions, you are dragging around an engine that's just dead weight. You also said you have 5 cars, I'm sure one of them is either a hybrid or fully gasoline. If that is the case, you would be better off with a BEV for "around town" and a hybrid or fully gas vehicle when you drive those 400 or more miles
This morning like every morning I disconnected the charger from my car and started my morning routine. About 3 miles away from home my engine turned on. Out of EV range. Apparently I accidentally stopped my charger from charging overnight. No big deal continued on in hybrid mode until I got back home and threw it on the charger.

I’m not opposed to having a BEV. In my case I would never roadtrip it. I just didn’t know there were others besides Tesla until learning about all of them on this forum. Before I bought my Rav I looked at the Model Y and this was after renting a M3P.

How I treat a roadtrip, hybrid mode on highway and EV mode around town. Like you, depending on how many people are traveling, how far, and what/if I’m towing determines which vehicle we take in town and/or roadtrip. Kinda how you choose whether to drive your Sienna or not.

I’ve driven thousands of miles in town with just 1 mile of gas range left and even with that 1 mile of gas range I know I still have over 2 gallons until I’m completely empty. Long as I have EV range I don’t worry about it.

I look at having gas while running around in EV mode as “better to have it and not need it…” There’s zero anxiety.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation