EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 01:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
This morning like every morning I disconnected the charger from my car and started my morning routine. About 3 miles away from home my engine turned on. Out of EV range. Apparently I accidentally stopped my charger from charging overnight. No big deal continued on in hybrid mode until I got back home and threw it on the charger.

I’m not opposed to having a BEV. In my case I would never roadtrip it. I just didn’t know there were others besides Tesla until learning about all of them on this forum. Before I bought my Rav I looked at the Model Y and this was after renting a M3P.

How I treat a roadtrip, hybrid mode on highway and EV mode around town. Like you, depending on how many people are traveling, how far, and what/if I’m towing determines which vehicle we take in town and/or roadtrip. Kinda how you choose whether to drive your Sienna or not.

I’ve driven thousands of miles in town with just 1 mile of gas range left and even with that 1 mile of gas range I know I still have over 2 gallons until I’m completely empty. Long as I have EV range I don’t worry about it.

I look at having gas while running around in EV mode as “better to have it and not need it…” There’s zero anxiety.
When you are driving a BEV "around town", there's really no way to have range anxiety unless you are driving a more than 5 year old EV or you have very low charge starting out. I live in the Bay Area, which is huge, and with 80 percent charge, I can drive from one end of the Bay Area to other and still have charge for the next day. I can understand not wanting to take one on longer trips, but if you are driving a PHEV around town where the engine barely gets used, you are essentially just carrying around extra weight. Since you have a home charger, you would be filled up every day. I'm not telling you to buy a BEV, I'm just telling you that you are practically living the BEV life, but dragging around an engine
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
BayeauxLex (03-13-24), mike995134 (03-14-24)
Old 03-13-24, 02:37 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
but if you are driving a PHEV around town where the engine barely gets used, you are essentially just carrying around extra weight. Since you have a home charger, you would be filled up every day. I'm not telling you to buy a BEV, I'm just telling you that you are practically living the BEV life, but dragging around an engine
And if you also just travel locally on a BEV most times, you are also using energy to drag around a huge weight, the battery, which can weigh from 1000 to 4000 pounds (450 to 1800 kg).

A PHEV is like a house with a backup generator. You might not need it most times, but when you do need it, you have it.

The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 02:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by asj2024
And if you also just travel locally on a BEV most times, you are also using energy to drag around a huge weight, the battery, which can weigh from 1000 to 4000 pounds (450 to 1800 kg).

A PHEV is like a house with a backup generator. You might not need it most times, but when you do need it, you have it.
I literally don't know what to say to this. Everytime I think you're done saying stuff that's over the top, you take it a notch higher. Like ignoring the fact that that "heavy" BEV has a lot of power as compared to the PHEV, yet is extremely efficient. Your statements just have me thinking you're trolling here, which is why I opt not to argue with you

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-13-24 at 03:01 PM.
Mike728 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 05:30 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Wow! It's now pretty clear that any meaningful conversation/debate with you on this subject, is just not possible.
Old 03-13-24, 05:40 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
When you are driving a BEV "around town", there's really no way to have range anxiety unless you are driving a more than 5 year old EV or you have very low charge starting out. I live in the Bay Area, which is huge, and with 80 percent charge, I can drive from one end of the Bay Area to other and still have charge for the next day. I can understand not wanting to take one on longer trips, but if you are driving a PHEV around town where the engine barely gets used, you are essentially just carrying around extra weight. Since you have a home charger, you would be filled up every day. I'm not telling you to buy a BEV, I'm just telling you that you are practically living the BEV life, but dragging around an engine
I agree. I recently started plugging up while at church especially if we have some errands to run afterwards.

I keep gas in it because my wife drives it on the weekend and she’s not going to plug up unless she’s home for the night and then sometimes she will forget.

This is another way to look at it as well.

Both of you make good points.
Old 03-14-24, 07:38 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/VWIDBuzz/co...ca_premier_in/

June 2nd is the ID.Buzz North American premier! Should go on sale shortly thereafter
AMIRZA786 (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 07:59 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

I’m over in Europe at the moment and I’ve seen a few ID.Buzz. I really like the look of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
Allen K (03-14-24), AMIRZA786 (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 08:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I’m over in Europe at the moment and I’ve seen a few ID.Buzz. I really like the look of them.
No pics?

C'mon man. Lol

​​​​​​
swajames (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
The PHEV isn't really a compromise. It's the best solution until BEVs get to be as convenient as ICE. The best of both worlds.
As someone who has a PHEV, its definitely a compromise. The compromise is in performance, you don't get the performance or the fun factor of an EV becayse the EV mode is low powered, you also don't get the performance of the regular ICE counterpart in almost all situations.

I'm content for the Pacifica to be a PHEV, but after driving an EV i7 and a PHEV S580e and an ICE S580 back to back to back, no doubt I would rather have the EV or the ICE over the PHEV in that application where I'm paying for a driving experience.
Old 03-14-24, 03:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The Apple Car - A $10 Billion Failure

Old 03-14-24, 05:52 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As someone who has a PHEV, its definitely a compromise. The compromise is in performance, you don't get the performance or the fun factor of an EV becayse the EV mode is low powered, you also don't get the performance of the regular ICE counterpart in almost all situations.

I'm content for the Pacifica to be a PHEV, but after driving an EV i7 and a PHEV S580e and an ICE S580 back to back to back, no doubt I would rather have the EV or the ICE over the PHEV in that application where I'm paying for a driving experience.
Those are limitations of those particular models, not PHEV technology itself. PHEVs could be designed to be more performance-oriented if manufacturers felt the demand was there. EV performance with no range anxiety.
Old 03-14-24, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Those are limitations of those particular models, not PHEV technology itself. PHEVs could be designed to be more performance-oriented if manufacturers felt the demand was there. EV performance with no range anxiety.
Saying something can be done a certain way doesn’t mean much, we only have the way it is done to compare.

In order to have EV performance with no range anxiety you’re going to need to basically have an EV with a small emergency engine, and that engine is going to feel lousy when it’s used. I want a car that is excellent to drive all the time when I’m spending that kind of money.
Old 03-14-24, 06:58 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Saying something can be done a certain way doesn’t mean much, we only have the way it is done to compare.

In order to have EV performance with no range anxiety you’re going to need to basically have an EV with a small emergency engine, and that engine is going to feel lousy when it’s used. I want a car that is excellent to drive all the time when I’m spending that kind of money.
Well, Lamborghini and Ferrari have both done it. Others could, but I doubt the market is a priority at this point.

And even in your case, the PHEV minivan isn't the compromise. You've said it's better to drive than the ICE counterpart, and even if they made a BEV version, it wouldn't work for the longer trips out of state due to same charging complications that prevents you from buying an i7. That sounds like it's the best solution, not the compromise.
Old 03-14-24, 07:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

​​​​​ There are performance hybrid/PHEV'S, but the compromise is high price and fuel economy. With a BEV, the compromise is long range and in some places, charging. I foresee that being overcome in about 5 years
Old 03-14-24, 07:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

In my observation range anxiety is something overwhelmingly expressed by people that don't own an electric vehicle.
Hameed (03-14-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation