EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 07:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I once owned a battery lawn mower. My wife would say it’s taking me longer to mow the grass. I had to strategize how to mow my yard on 1 charge. I definitely had range anxiety. I had to sacrifice using the self propel feature and I had to mow often and not in the morning when the grass was still wet. I loved that mower. Quiet and lightweight but it didn’t work for me. Retuned it on the final day of the return period.

My friend who recommended the mower to me had to replace his battery after 3-4 years at the cost of a gas mower.
Buying an electric mower, was the "gateway drug" to me purchasing a BEV. I've had an electric blower for almost 10 years, so i know that the batteries don't last forever. They also aren't anywhere near the cost of even a replacement gas blower, let alone a mower. The mower has been great with my 1/3 acre lot. It has a switch to change over to the 2nd battery, which I usually need to do at about 2/3rds point. And just like an EV, it requires no maintenance. You just need to sharpen the blade every so often.

The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (03-16-24)
Old 03-15-24, 09:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I have a 2 stage electric snow blower and it's fantastic. Never have to worry about the engine, just plug the batteries in and go. Haven't had much occasion to use it in recent years but still runs like a champ with 0 maintenance
My neighbor across the street has a 2-stage Ego. It works really well overall, but in heavier snowfall he can't do his entire 3-car driveway on a charge. And during the last two snowstorms, I had to do his plowpack at the end of the drive for him, because it was just too big and dense. He reciprocated by doing part of my driveway above the apron.
Old 03-15-24, 09:28 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
My neighbor across the street has a 2-stage Ego. It works really well overall, but in heavier snowfall he can't do his entire 3-car driveway on a charge. And during the last two snowstorms, I had to do his plowpack at the end of the drive for him, because it was just too big and dense. He reciprocated by doing part of my driveway above the apron.
We haven't gotten much heavy snow the last 3 years I've had this thing. It does 6-8 inches of powder really well and 3ish inches of slush decently well but our winters are so mild now I just use a snow pusher for anything under 3 inches. It did struggle when we had a snow, sleet, snow combo which dumped 6ish inches of mixed nastiness, but charge lasted all the way through which was a plus
Old 03-15-24, 09:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
We haven't gotten much heavy snow the last 3 years I've had this thing. It does 6-8 inches of powder really well and 3ish inches of slush decently well but our winters are so mild now I just use a snow pusher for anything under 3 inches. It did struggle when we had a snow, sleet, snow combo which dumped 6ish inches of mixed nastiness, but charge lasted all the way through which was a plus
When I was in Tahoe a couple of winters back, the snowpack was hard like a rock. Is that how the snow is there, and if so, how does the plow work on hard packed snow?
Old 03-15-24, 11:44 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, I don’t lol. Nowhere to park a third car
You need more houses.
Old 03-15-24, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I once owned a battery lawn mower. My wife would say it’s taking me longer to mow the grass. I had to strategize how to mow my yard on 1 charge. I definitely had range anxiety. I had to sacrifice using the self propel feature and I had to mow often and not in the morning when the grass was still wet. I loved that mower. Quiet and lightweight but it didn’t work for me. Retuned it on the final day of the return period.

My friend who recommended the mower to me had to replace his battery after 3-4 years at the cost of a gas mower.
This is all absurd, by the way. I have a battery powered mower, I have no issue mowing on one charge and even if I did, I have multiple batteries. A new battery is not the cost of a similar gas powered mower, and its quiet and I can fold it up and store it on its side. I don't have to get, transport or store gas, and there is no maintenance. I would never go back to a gas mower.

Technology has improved tremendously from what you had your battery powered mower.

Originally Posted by Mike728
Buying an electric mower, was the "gateway drug" to me purchasing a BEV. I've had an electric blower for almost 10 years, so i know that the batteries don't last forever. They also aren't anywhere near the cost of even a replacement gas blower, let alone a mower. The mower has been great with my 1/3 acre lot. It has a switch to change over to the 2nd battery, which I usually need to do at about 2/3rds point. And just like an EV, it requires no maintenance. You just need to sharpen the blade every so often.
Same!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
You need more houses.
I need houses just for cars lol
Old 03-15-24, 02:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This is all absurd, by the way. I have a battery powered mower, I have no issue mowing on one charge and even if I did, I have multiple batteries. A new battery is not the cost of a similar gas powered mower, and its quiet and I can fold it up and store it on its side. I don't have to get, transport or store gas, and there is no maintenance. I would never go back to a gas mower.

Technology has improved tremendously from what you had your battery powered mower.

Same!

I need houses just for cars lol
I just looked up a Black and Decker 40V 6ah battery replacement....$90 on Amazon. Half acre/40 minute runtime. I could mow my lawn 10 times before I recharge
Old 03-15-24, 02:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (03-15-24), bitkahuna (03-16-24)
Old 03-15-24, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm really surprised someone who has a PHEV can be so anti EV and battery power...

Seriously, using my Ego mower, I have no idea why anybody would want a gas powered mower...
Old 03-15-24, 02:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm really surprised someone who has a PHEV can be so anti EV and battery power...

Seriously, using my Ego mower, I have no idea why anybody would want a gas powered mower...
Hate for EV's now includes BE Lawn Mowers....? 🤣
Old 03-15-24, 03:16 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Can we talk about something that's more related to cars... like a power washer? I gave up on gas power washers. I like them for the power but because I don't use it as often and don't drain the gas when done, I'm on a second dead one. The next one if I buy will be electric.
On a different note, I've seen more iX recently. Not sure why but it doesn't look as bad as I first saw it.
Old 03-15-24, 03:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Can we talk about something that's more related to cars... like a power washer? I gave up on gas power washers. I like them for the power but because I don't use it as often and don't drain the gas when done, I'm on a second dead one. The next one if I buy will be electric.
On a different note, I've seen more iX recently. Not sure why but it doesn't look as bad as I first saw it.
I saw two yesterday. I think they look nice. I also like the i5's looks.

Never owned a power washer, I've always either done it the old fashioned way, or car wash
Old 03-15-24, 03:21 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah I would have to park a third car on the street
You can park the least frequently used inside and the daily on the garage but I guess your daily is too nice to be outside. So the only option for you, if you buy 3rd car, is ... buying a 3 car garage house or rent a garage for the least frequently used car.
Old 03-15-24, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
You can park the least frequently used inside and the daily on the garage but I guess your daily is too nice to be outside. So the only option for you, if you buy 3rd car, is ... buying a 3 car garage house or rent a garage for the least frequently used car.
Or I could just keep to having two cars lol
Old 03-15-24, 05:34 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
When I was in Tahoe a couple of winters back, the snowpack was hard like a rock. Is that how the snow is there, and if so, how does the plow work on hard packed snow?
No idea. We haven't had much heavy snow the last 3-5 years.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation