EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 01:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Want me to dig into my threads where I said all this would happen YEARS ago?? The slowdown in demand? And that Americans want them far less than people think. I'd be happy to.

Edit: You can't go back that far.
You're mixing up slowdowns with reversals. Everything that is sold that exists eventually experiences slows downs. Corvette C8 used to be so hot, people bought them just to flip them. Apple is having slowdowns right now, which is why their stock is down. Does that mean the iPhone is going away? Take a look at the growths numbers, they continue to grow, not shrink. Just because a company announces slow downs doesn't mean they are reversing course. I follow published numbers, not gut feelings
Old 03-21-24, 01:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
EVs will soon reach price parity with gas and will continue to drop in price. In 10 years it will be comical to buy a new gas car.
We'll see. I'm not going anywhere Godwilling and I hope none of the rest of us aren't either.

Comical to buy a car with an engine? Yeah right.

I said repeatedly if I'm wrong I'll eat crow, and I will. I'lll stand on the side of the road with a sign lol. AMZIRA, you can literally put up a billboard and shame me...
Old 03-21-24, 01:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

We'll see. I'm not going anywhere Godwilling and I hope none of the rest of us aren't either.

I said repeatedly if I'm wrong I'll eat crow, and I will. I'lll stand on the side of the road with a sign lol. AMZIRA, you can literally put up a billboard and shame me...
I have no desire to do that. There's no shame in being wrong, I've been wrong multiple times. But in this case cat's been let out of the bag, and it's not going back in
Old 03-21-24, 01:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Yes, it will make little to no sense at all. In 10 years range will be much higher, charging will be faster and the entire vehicle will be much cheaper. And safer. We know this definitively by looking at what has already happened, for your prediction to come true progress will need to essentially stop.
Best start looking up some crow recipes.
Old 03-21-24, 01:55 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Yes, it will make little to no sense at all. In 10 years range will be much higher, charging will be faster and the entire vehicle will be much cheaper. And safer. We know this definitively by looking at what has already happened, for your prediction to come true progress will need to essentially stop.
I'm sure we'll see some battery advancements in the next 10 years, but I'd be happy with an easily achievable ~350 mile range and (reliable) faster charging. Right now, I can get ~300 miles on a full charge, but I'd love to be able to do that at ~75-80 mph instead of 70
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (03-21-24), BayeauxLex (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 02:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm sure we'll see some battery advancements in the next 10 years, but I'd be happy with an easily achievable ~350 mile range and (reliable) faster charging. Right now, I can get ~300 miles on a full charge, but I'd love to be able to do that at ~75-80 mph instead of 70
10 years? I would say half that. Battery tech and efficiency has evolved so much since 2020. Also the amount of charging time it takes has significantly dropped. I think of it this way: my first Smartphone in 2010 was the First generation Samsung Galaxy S. I was lucky to get 4 hours out of it, and that's if I didn't use it. Today I have a OnePlus 12, it easily gives me 3 days. Today I've been heavily using it since 5am, and it's 2:05PM as I type this and I have 95 percent battery left. It has probably 5 times the processing power, twice the screen size as my Galaxy S, and yet it uses hundreds of times less power and a thinner and longer battery, although its almost 3x more powerful
Old 03-21-24, 02:33 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Comparing a $100k Model S to less expensive cars isn’t fair, you have to compare it to similar caliber cars.

In any event, we are talking about hundreds of thousands of miles between failures. A battery pack every 300,000 miles should totally negate the fear of having to replace a battery.
Model S are $75k before tax credits. That motor replacements (13x) little on the excessive side.

EVs will soon reach price parity with gas and will continue to drop in price. In 10 years it will be comical to buy a new gas car.
Yes, it will make little to no sense at all. In 10 years range will be much higher, charging will be faster and the entire vehicle will be much cheaper. And safer.
There are people who will still prefer a gas car due to the noise, sound, feel of the engine and gear changes. Then you have those who want to mod their car, make it “theirs” and unique to them.

Few weeks ago I drove one of my gas cars around town with the radio off. I just wanted to listen to it. I hadn’t driven it in 3 months. I didn’t realize the radio wasn’t on until I got back home.
Old 03-21-24, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I don’t see how anybody can say EV market share of new deliveries will never get over 20% when they are already 10% lol
Old 03-21-24, 02:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Guys, there's one little problem here.

You all are denying the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people in this country who don't want an EV (for whatever reason, practicality, politically) and probably never will.

And yes I know my views are not popular in here but I really think you guys need some reality checks sometimes. I''m never trying to fight with anyone. Look at it as Crossfire or Hannity and Colmbs or something, I'm the unpopular one, my opinion is different but I try to maintain decorum. I think it's pointless to nastily argue in general, same on here but all we have to do is just have to hang out and wait and see who's right and who's wrong.

Not EV, but several of us have different views if there will be another LS (no). We'll find out soon because hasn't the car been out 6-7 years? And it's a total disaster to boot. That's what I mean about just waiting around lol.

Last edited by AJT123; 03-21-24 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you will be surprised how many of those people will actually wind up buying EVs. I already know people who swore they never would and now they have one. I swore I would never buy another hybrid and now I have one.

With that said, the idea that market share will NEVER go over 20% when it’s already over 10% makes no sense. The amount of new EV offerings is going to exponentially increase in the coming few years and the amount of ICE offerings is going to decrease. It’s completely illogical to think the number of people who buy EVs is only going to double ever from where it is today.
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t see how anybody can say EV market share of new deliveries will never get over 20% when they are already 10% lol
Who has the most EV market share? The EV market share for new vehicle sales in February 2024 was approximately 6.5%, compared to 83.1% for gas-powered vehicles, according to Edmunds sales data.

https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car...20sales%20data.

The amount of cars on the road, there is a MASSIVE difference between 6.5% and 10%.
Old 03-21-24, 02:51 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Guys, there's one little problem here.

You all are denying the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people in this country who don't want an EV (for whatever reason, practicality, politically) and probably never will.

One of my friends told me yesterday he would never ever buy a BEV. I suggested he take a look at one because he tends to skip some maintenance on his vehicles that potentially worsens over time and that’s when he will look to get rid of the car instead of doing basic maintenance early on. I said well if you’re not interested in an BEV at least a hybrid.
Old 03-21-24, 02:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Model S are $75k before tax credits. That motor replacements (13x) little on the excessive side.

There are people who will still prefer a gas car due to the noise, sound, feel of the engine and gear changes. Then you have those who want to mod their car, make it “theirs” and unique to them.

Few weeks ago I drove one of my gas cars around town with the radio off. I just wanted to listen to it. I hadn’t driven it in 3 months. I didn’t realize the radio wasn’t on until I got back home.
It's not normal to drive any car a million miles. I've been driving over 30 years, and I've probably not driven more than 300 or 400k in my lifetime, if even that. That car doesn't represent actual failure rates for Tesla's. I have two friends that have early Model 3's (2018's) with both having over 100k on them, and other than the initial quality issues that are common with early generation Tesla's, they have had no issues with them in regards to battery or motors
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 02:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

millions and millions of people didn't want automatic transmissions, or power windows(another thing to break) or *insert major change here*, but eventually they bought them anyway.

I'm far from team EV only, I have never driven one, and I don't plan to transition for now(but will eventually). I am one of those people that enjoys the machinery of an ICE engine for what it is. I'll probably own at least one ICE for as long as I can, but I can't deny the reality that whether it happens in 2030 or 2050, EV's will supplant ICE engines entirely, unless some other means of propulsion takes off(unlikely).

The following 2 users liked this post by FrankReynoldsCPA:
BayeauxLex (03-21-24), Mike728 (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 02:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who has the most EV market share? The EV market share for new vehicle sales in February 2024 was approximately 6.5%, compared to 83.1% for gas-powered vehicles, according to Edmunds sales data.

https://www.edmunds.com/electric-car...20sales%20data.

The amount of cars on the road, there is a MASSIVE difference between 6.5% and 10%.
Thats one month lol. 2023 market share was 7,6% and the growth is projected to be 30% for 2024

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation