EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Eh, it may get up to 15%... maybe 20% eventually but that's it. And the majority of those will be Teslas which are high end cars, expensive nevertheless.
bookmarking this post for later.

also, tesla model 3's / Ys are not 'high end... expensive'. they're LESS expensive than many popular gas and expecially hybrid cars.

Again, go to the non high-end part of your town, go to a crappy part and count how many EVs you see.
of course, because 90%+ of those care are used, many 10+ years old and in most areas with apartments there's no good charging option.

Most of us on here are seemingly affluent (I mean NOTHING by that) and don't live in that world where people just need a car to get their kids to school and go grocery shopping, they don't have Lexuses and Mercedes like we do. They ain't going EV anytime soon.
of course the used ev market is growing too and as you know, with vast tesla price drops and worries about aging batteries used ev prices have dropped like a rock. so i fully expect to see them more and more in all parts of town even with no home charging. if a kid can get a 10k used tesla to drive to school and a job for next to nothing with no maintenance costs, it's a win.

Guys, there's one little problem here.
You all are denying the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people in this country who don't want an EV (for whatever reason, practicality, politically) and probably never will.
millions clung to their blackberries. their land line phones. their cable tv. all gone or going away now. in 10 years the AVERAGE boomer age will be about 80 and many of those either won't be driving or use self-driving, which i predict WILL be 'normal' by then. i can't speak for northern places, but in florida, the solar installations (commercial and power companies in particular) are going berserk. and i predict the government WILL tax gasoline more in the future to 'discourage' people from driving vehicles that emit CO2 and obviously encourage them to drive EVs. also tougher and tougher cafe standards will mean gas guzzler and other tarriffs on more and more gas vehicles. and with dozens of EV only companies and legacy companies STILL investing vast sums into it (even though you celebrate every article pointing out some slow down somewhere ) ev's will get cheaper than gas vehicles. and hybrids/phev's are gas vehicle + ev vehicle so the least efficient thing to make.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Even Georgia gets it, declaring Feb 26, 2024 "Hyundai Day" for their new EV plant in Georgia. That's an Ioniq 5 in the picture behind them
haha, EVEN GEORGIA? you make it sound like georgia is some third world country. land of georgia tech (mit of the south), corporate hq's of coke, home depot, most of fintech, porsche NA, and much more.
the new hyundai plant near savannah is apparently vast. they are serious about ev's.

​​​​​​ Actually come to think of it, my wife once fried them in garlic where they were crispy, and I was able to eat them. Boiled, I can't, sorry 😔
It's not a vegetable we eat often here at home
too funny this thread can go to brussel sprouts just like that.
Old 03-21-24, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

No, but what's your point? Will I be forced into an EV eventually? ICEs aren't going anywhere.
i agree some ice vehicles will be on the road until at least 2050 when most of us will be gone or pretty old. but they will likely be very expensive to own and operate.
Old 03-21-24, 08:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

No, but what's your point? Will I be forced into an EV eventually? ICEs aren't going anywhere.

Of course I've considered that. Remember my thread where I went to GMC and took pictures of $39k ridiculously practical work trucks to show how ridiculous an EV would be as a work truck? People actually think CTs will take over trucks, I've read it on these boards.

I think that's putting it very, very mildly. Americans lovvvvvvvvve nice 1500s.
They do, but overall there are still more passenger cars sold and on the road than trucks.

With all that has been said, you and I have nothing to worry about. There will always be ICE cars available for the next foreseeable future. And in case you are correct and legacy automakers drop EV'S, there's always Tesla and Hyundai/Kia I can buy my EV'S from. Is that a fair assessment?

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-21-24 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 08:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here's the thing...the reason why most people say "I wont own an EV" or hate EVs is political, it has nothing to do with an EV vs ICE or preferring an ICE. Not everybody, but a lot of people.
Absolutely.

Also, i can't help but notice so many bad articles about EVs, feels like a campaign going on.

Truth is, once you try it, that's it. Very small percentage of people will find that EV doesn't meet their needs way better than anything else before.
Old 03-21-24, 08:24 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Absolutely.

Also, i can't help but notice so many bad articles about EVs, feels like a campaign going on.

Truth is, once you try it, that's it. Very small percentage of people will find that EV doesn't meet their needs way better than anything else before.
Gas hits $5 and stays there, my needs will be MET!! EV here I come!!
Old 03-21-24, 08:47 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course the used ev market is growing too and as you know, with vast tesla price drops and worries about aging batteries used ev prices have dropped like a rock. so i fully expect to see them more and more in all parts of town even with no home charging. if a kid can get a 10k used tesla to drive to school and a job for next to nothing with no maintenance costs, it's a win.
There is a flip side to that too. Lots of people are going to buy those low priced used EVs and then get stuck with a giant paperweight unless they are willing to fork out $20K to fix it. I've already seen those cases on the Model S forum with early models. That's going to have an impact up and down the EV market once those stories become more frequent. I wouldn't touch an EV over 5 years old. Lots of other issues with them too. Don't assume older, used EVs has no maintenance costs, because the Tesla forums are full of issues.
Old 03-21-24, 08:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Model S are $75k before tax credits. That motor replacements (13x) little on the excessive side.
Not back then they werent.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Absolutely.

One of my agents moved to FL (for political reasons) and he still sells both there and here, has a team here and sells by himself there. He was in town and we were sitting in my office talking. He HATED EVs. He has a Rivian and a Model Y now and we were talking about EVs and he said once he drove them and focused just on the car, he couldn’t go back to an ICE car.

More and more people will convert because truly the product is better…it’s just a matter of time and as more and more great EVs come out and ICE cars get less desirable there is just no question in my mind that we will see most of the new cars sold be EVs.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 08:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
There is a flip side to that too. Lots of people are going to buy those low priced used EVs and then get stuck with a giant paperweight unless they are willing to fork out $20K to fix it. I've already seen those cases on the Model S forum with early models. That's going to have an impact up and down the EV market once those stories become more frequent. I wouldn't touch an EV over 5 years old. Lots of other issues with them too. Don't assume older, used EVs has no maintenance costs, because the Tesla forums are full of issues.
You're basing this on first gen EV'S with older battery tech, which most have been fixed under warranty. It's like someone buying the first gen iPhone as their first smartphone. Completely unfair assessment IMO

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-21-24 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-21-24, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Honestly? I don’t really care what happens to cars when they get old. I won’t own them.

I have faith in the market, as adoption increases and more older EVs need repairs, the solutions will be there. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of miles before somebody has to worry about a battery, and that will only improve.
AMIRZA786 (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 09:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Gas hits $5 and stays there, my needs will be MET!! EV here I come!!
You're Type R needs a companion
BayeauxLex (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 09:08 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

You're basing this on first gen EV'S with older battery tech, which most have been fixed under warranty. It's like someone buying the first gen iPhone as their first smartphone. Completely unfair assessment IMO
Maybe. Maybe not. We will see. Cheaper replacement batteries could alleviate some of that concern, but there is a reason the battery warranty is still around 8 years for most EVs. Time is the enemy. After that, you could end up with a huge expense that would likely be more than the cars worth. Or you could drive for another 5 years until the battery dies. If enough people have bad experiences, it will have an impact. 3 years old is the oldest I would even consider.
Old 03-21-24, 09:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

"battery pack is going to die" is fear mongering nothing else.
Old 03-21-24, 09:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
Maybe. Maybe not. We will see. Cheaper replacement batteries could alleviate some of that concern, but there is a reason the battery warranty is still around 8 years for most EVs. Time is the enemy. After that, you could end up with a huge expense that would likely be more than the cars worth. Or you could drive for another 5 years until the battery dies. If enough people have bad experiences, it will have an impact. 3 years old is the oldest I would even consider.
Remember, there is no "on" switch where suddenly there's nothing but EV'S. Assuming the trend continues for argument sake, the market will be full of ICE for years to come. They are not disappearing, I don't care what anyone says. By the time EV'S reach enough saturation, the battery issues, which I believe will be rare, will be worked out. Prices have dropped significantly the last 3 years.

I will say one thing with 100 surety... once people start driving them and living day to day with them, the majority won't even consider going back. That I can promise
Old 03-21-24, 09:22 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS

One of my agents moved to FL (for political reasons) and he still sells both there and here, has a team here and sells by himself there. He was in town and we were sitting in my office talking. He HATED EVs. He has a Rivian and a Model Y now and we were talking about EVs and he said once he drove them and focused just on the car, he couldn’t go back to an ICE car.

More and more people will convert because truly the product is better…it’s just a matter of time and as more and more great EVs come out and ICE cars get less desirable there is just no question in my mind that we will see most of the new cars sold be EVs.
They still make good gas cars imo. I, like some others, still like to row gears There’s also some sweet sounding & shifting automatic cars out there. Those are a few things you can’t get from a BEV.

“Better” is in the eye of the beholder😉 EV or gas…I just like cool fun cars, period.

The following 2 users liked this post by BayeauxLex:
AMIRZA786 (03-21-24), Bob04 (03-21-24)
Old 03-21-24, 09:27 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

I will say one thing with 100 surety... once people start driving them and living day to day with them, the majority won't even consider going back. That I can promise
My friend just bought his 2nd EV in less than a year. He’s hooked!!
AMIRZA786 (03-21-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation