EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 09:46 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

The AVERAGE age of a car on the road today is 12.5 years old. People are keeping cars longer, and that isn't conducive the EV ownership. It's not just about mileage with EVs. It's also about age. People really haven't seen that side of the EV equation yet because most EVs aren't old enough. But when they do, and if used batteries are still expensive, it won't bode well for EVs. And people that buy new all the time can say they don't care, but if resale values take a hit, it will hit lease prices too. That will make them more expensive and hurt sales, unless the gov comes in subsidizes them even more. Going to be interesting to see it play out.
Old 03-21-24, 09:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

You're on one hand saying EVs have not been around long enough to gauge longevity and in other saying they won't age well. You can't have both.
Old 03-21-24, 10:05 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Remember, there is no "on" switch where suddenly there's nothing but EV'S. Assuming the trend continues for argument sake, the market will be full of ICE for years to come. They are not disappearing, I don't care what anyone says. By the time EV'S reach enough saturation, the battery issues, which I believe will be rare, will be worked out. Prices have dropped significantly the last 3 years.

I will say one thing with 100 surety... once people start driving them and living day to day with them, the majority won't even consider going back. That I can promise
Maybe. But you can't assume the battery issues will be worked out. Like someone said to me not long ago, we can only go by how thing have been done, not how they can be done. Right now, the battery tech isn't even close to being to the point where the AVERAGE age of an EV on the road will be 12.5 years. That's end of life for most EVs because the battery replacement cost is so high. That's a significant change for the used car market and for owners as a whole.
Old 03-21-24, 10:12 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You're on one hand saying EVs have not been around long enough to gauge longevity and in other saying they won't age well. You can't have both.
That's not what I'm saying. These batteries will die. If the mileage doesn't get them, age will. There is an expiration date. And it's a huge expense when they do. So huge, it basically makes the car a donate or throw away. I've seen it with some of the early model s that have hit that age. But since the volume for those cars is low, it's not really something that a lot of people are paying attention to yet. Let's see what happens a few years from now when some of the early model 3s start to get to the age where their batteries fail outside of warranty.
Old 03-21-24, 10:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Maybe. But you can't assume the battery issues will be worked out. Like someone said to me not long ago, we can only go by how thing have been done, not how they can be done. Right now, the battery tech isn't even close to being to the point where the AVERAGE age of an EV on the road will be 12.5 years. That's end of life for most EVs because the battery replacement cost is so high. That's a significant change for the used car market and for owners as a whole.
That's not what I'm saying. These batteries will die. If the mileage doesn't get them, age will. There is an expiration date. And it's a huge expense when they do. So huge, it basically makes the car a donate or throw away. I've seen it with some of the early model s that have hit that age. But since the volume for those cars is low, it's not really something that a lot of people are paying attention to yet. Let's see what happens a few years from now when some of the early model 3s start to get to the age where their batteries fail outside of warranty.
Indeed let's see what actually happens. You will be wrong, quote me.

Can't help but notice you provide zero data for anything you're claiming.
Old 03-21-24, 10:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

You are making a lot of assumptions. And a lot of "what if's. EV'S have been around long enough to understand what could go wrong. And tons of people are buying used Tesla's here. Some as old as 2018.

Personally I'm not worried, especially when it comes to Tesla's. I've seen enough data, much of it posted here proving to me that batteries can handle more than 300k. The one off Tesla or driven a million miles with battery issues posted on YouTube to drive traffic are nothing but noise to me
Old 03-21-24, 10:31 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Indeed let's see what actually happens. You will be wrong, quote me.

Can't help but notice you provide zero data for anything you're claiming.
Quoted.

Would you buy a 12.5 year old EV on the original battery with no warranty?
Old 03-21-24, 10:34 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

You are making a lot of assumptions. And a lot of "what if's. EV'S have been around long enough to understand what could go wrong. And tons of people are buying used Tesla's here. Some as old as 2018.

Personally I'm not worried, especially when it comes to Tesla's. I've seen enough data, much of it posted here proving to me that batteries can handle more than 300k. The one off Tesla or driven a million miles with battery issues posted on YouTube to drive traffic are nothing but noise to me
2018 is 6 years old. The average, again average, age of a car on the road today is 12.5 years old. That's a big difference.

Would you feel comfortable a 12.5 year old EV on the original battery with no warranty?
Old 03-21-24, 10:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Quoted.

Would you buy a 12.5 year old EV on the original battery with no warranty?
Age doesn't matter much it is charge cycles which directly translates into miles. Still no data from you.
Old 03-21-24, 10:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

2018 is 6 years old. The average, again average, age of a car on the road today is 12.5 years old. That's a big difference.

Would you feel comfortable a 12.5 year old EV on the original battery with no warranty?
I wouldn't buy a 12.5 year old gas car either but if I knew I could change a battery pack for a decent price, I might consider it for one of my kids
The following users liked this post:
Allen K (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 12:09 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Age doesn't matter much it is charge cycles which directly translates into miles. Still no data from you.
I charge my car daily sometimes multiple times per day. Hopefully since my battery stays between 30%-90% prolongs the life of it.
Old 03-22-24, 04:37 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I wouldn't buy a 12.5 year old gas car either but if I knew I could change a battery pack for a decent price, I might consider it for one of my kids
I agree. I stated that if battery prices drop significantly, that would help and my scenario would likely not play out. But I don't see that happening. Even the low end estimates are likely much more than anybody would want to drop in an older car.

Old 03-22-24, 04:57 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree. I stated that if battery prices drop significantly, that would help and my scenario would likely not play out. But I don't see that happening. Even the low end estimates are likely much more than anybody would want to drop in an older car.
I have my doubts as well about battery replacement costs dropping that much.

On the Prius, a vehicle that has been here for decades and sold millions in total, battery replacement costs are still around $1000, and this is for a pack that is 70x smaller than the huge batteries on BEVs.(only 1.3 kwh on these HEVs vs the 70+ kwh of BEVs)
Old 03-22-24, 05:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by asj2024
I have my doubts as well about battery replacement costs dropping that much.

On the Prius, a vehicle that has been here for decades and sold millions in total, battery replacement costs are still around $1000, and this is for a pack that is 70x smaller than the huge batteries on BEVs.(only 1.3 kwh on these HEVs vs the 70+ kwh of BEVs)
$1000 is cheap. It used to be $10k. My brother had his Sienna engine changed....$4k. I don't think any price would satisfy you guys quite frankly
Old 03-22-24, 05:22 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

$1000 is cheap. It used to be $10k. My brother had his Sienna engine changed....$4k. I don't think any price would satisfy you guys quite frankly
My point is a battery that is 70x larger might not ever go to even $1k replacement cost in decades.

And that $1k is for the cheapest possible, normally I think it's still $1.5k to $2k....i really should start researching this as my own battery might need help soon.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation