EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 08:26 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
They still have them because they can't get out of them without a big loss.
Before we put a deposit down on the R2, I was trying to talk my wife into a refreshed 3, but the no stalk wheel was a dealbreaker for her. That said, I still haven't gotten her to agree to switching to the R2 so we'll see in 2026
Old 03-22-24, 08:26 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I just wanted to put things in perspective. I get it, some people don't like EV's. I love debate and discussions and welcome them, but I think make the point and move on. I also include myself because I find myself repeating my arguments over and over
All I was trying to say is some subject are big subjects and need their own thread, IMO.

Just like in car chat, push to new thread, just IMO of course.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 08:27 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The warranty on my battery is ending soon (basic car warranty ended last year in June). The car has been reliable (other than the usual door handles, battery coolant valves) in the 5 years I've had it. It will be turning 8 in July.

I'm not in a position to replace the car right now. I'm on the fence about getting an extended warranty....

A third party company is now offering extended warranties in Canada and it's not prohibitively expensive. It's under $3k CAD. Reviews seem to be good and coverage is decent - Battery, Air suspension, MCU and DU's. Those are the big ticket items and are covered.

How long / how many miles is the warranty extension?

An EV battery going bad out of worry would be my biggest worry which is why I don't think I would ever buy a used EV unless battery replacement price comes down. I didn't buy a used LS460 because of the known ABS unit failure costing between 3-4k for a replacement. I wouldn't be able to not worry about a 10k+ battery replacement.

For under $3k CAD and you get a few years and atleast 50k miles coverage I would do it.
Old 03-22-24, 08:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
You were quite reasonable to write that post. 60k was more than enough to get a nice luxury car/SUV back then. I guess if someone wanted to be different or experience new things, then it's justified for them.

They still have them because they can't get out of them without a big loss.
Yeah, for sure even today I wouldn't pay $60k. I bought the Model Y after it dropped to around $48k. The post was more showing my "ICE" EV skeptic side

Neither of them paid anywhere near $60k, they both have the single motor version, so they paid around $45k to $50k. And I can tell you first hand they didn't sell because they have been reliable, efficient commuters. These guys have money, they can care less about the depreciation
Old 03-22-24, 08:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876

An EV battery going bad out of worry would be my biggest worry which is why I don't think I would ever buy a used EV unless battery replacement price comes down. I didn't buy a used LS460 because of the known ABS unit failure costing between 3-4k for a replacement. I wouldn't be able to not worry about a 10k+ battery replacement.

For under $3k CAD and you get a few years and atleast 50k miles coverage I would do it.
100 percent I'm going to get the extended Service agreement when warranty expires in 2027 (or 50k miles). It's only $2K...well worth it
Old 03-22-24, 08:46 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

$2900 CAD for 5 years of unlimited km's

In addition it is transferable to the next owner as long as it is a private sale. What really makes it a no brainer is - "if at the end of the warranty period :

You are still the owner
Made no claims under the warranty
You get your money back (less the tax).
Old 03-22-24, 08:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Sorry, I meant to reply to Hameed's post. I didn't realize I replied to yours instead
Old 03-22-24, 09:36 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
$2900 CAD for 5 years of unlimited km's

In addition it is transferable to the next owner as long as it is a private sale. What really makes it a no brainer is - "if at the end of the warranty period :

You are still the owner
Made no claims under the warranty
You get your money back (less the tax).
So wait, how do they make money on the warranty if you get refunded? As you said, easily a no brainer but I don't see how that makes sense.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Sorry, I meant to reply to Hameed's post. I didn't realize I replied to yours instead
Haha no problem. With those warranty terms I would have no issue buying a used EV if I could purchase that warranty with it.
Old 03-22-24, 10:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So wait, how do they make money on the warranty if you get refunded? As you said, easily a no brainer but I don't see how that makes sense.

Haha no problem. With those warranty terms I would have no issue buying a used EV if I could purchase that warranty with it.
You just add the extended warranty through the Tesla app

I'm going to wait for my current my current warranty to expire, which is May 2027

EDIT

Not sure how this works with used Tesla's, but it's probably works the same way

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-22-24 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-22-24, 12:01 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Anyone who currently drives an EV had ZERO issues, big and small, during ownership? If so, how old is your car and its mileage?

I ask this because I never buy an extended warranty. Like I tell the finance manager, if something goes wrong I’ll fix it if it’s worth it. If not, I’ll get rid of it. With that being said, I try to buy vehicles that typically are very low maintenance. Example, I passed on buying a GTR because its maintenance concerned me.

These forums/chats are helpful to me because before I purchase a vehicle, I will snoop around on the forum/blog sites of said vehicle to see what others’ experience has been who currently own that vehicle I’m looking to purchase. In addition I will binge watch a lot of review videos on it.
Old 03-22-24, 12:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Anyone who currently drives an EV had ZERO issues, big and small, during ownership? If so, how old is your car and its mileage?

I ask this because I never buy an extended warranty. Like I tell the finance manager, if something goes wrong I’ll fix it if it’s worth it. If not, I’ll get rid of it. With that being said, I try to buy vehicles that typically are very low maintenance. Example, I passed on buying a GTR because its maintenance concerned me.

These forums/chats are helpful to me because before I purchase a vehicle, I will snoop around on the forum/blog sites of said vehicle to see what others’ experience has been who currently own that vehicle I’m looking to purchase. In addition I will binge watch a lot of review videos on it.
The warranties they sell at Dealerships are basically junk, at least in my experience. I've never been able to use them, full of exclusions and deductibles they don't tell you about. With Tesla, you really don't need an Extended warranty, the most important one is the Battery/Drivetrain warranty which is 8 year/120K. If I do get the extended warranty (which is directly from Tesla), it would only be for peace of mine.

In 30,000 miles, I've only had one issue with my Polestar, it had a defective Battery Disconnect Unit which affected Fast charging. That issue came up within the first few thousand miles. Since replacing it, the car has been issue free
BayeauxLex (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 12:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Was curious so I looked up some component prices for the RAV4 Prime

Engine long block: $14,500
Battery pack: $4,500 per module x4

Toyota does not sell the complete battery pack so it would have to be disassembled if that's even possible. Tesla does not sell their battery packs to 3rd parties and the price is not clear best I can find is on the Model Y $15,000-$20,000.

BayeauxLex (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 12:35 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Was curious so I looked up some component prices for the RAV4 Prime

Engine long block: $14,500
Battery pack: $4,500 per module x4

Toyota does not sell the complete battery pack so it would have to be disassembled if that's even possible. Tesla does not sell their battery packs to 3rd parties and the price is not clear best I can find is on the Model Y $15,000-$20,000.
Has your Tesla been issue free? Doesn’t matter if it was something as small as a door handle or a rattle?
Old 03-22-24, 12:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Has your Tesla been issue free? Doesn’t matter if it was something as small as a door handle or a rattle?
Zero issues, nothing. As a DIY person who loves working on cars it makes me feel useless. I will flush the brake fluid soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (03-22-24), BayeauxLex (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 12:39 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

My wife's only issue was the body controller I mentioned earlier. Her 2018 3 is rock solid otherwise. My 2019 3P had a bad MCU that took out the center screen and HVAC until they could get it into service (3ish days). My R1S came with a bad alignment from factory but that's about it. Otherwise all 3 have been really good.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation