EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 07:04 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Posting anecdotes and passing them off as statistics or even a general trend is not a good look.

By far, the interior quality is 10x better there is no contest. Seats after 35+ years are like new, soft touch plastics everywhere. Seat comfort far better. Toyota has taken a drastic step back compared to their prime years.
It each its own. We like what we like as long as it looks good to you. 🤝
Old 04-02-24, 07:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed generally, but while my lc500 may be slightly slower than my ioniq from a stop, it catches up and is quicker once going and they're both a hoot to drive.
Your Lexus is a high priced joy machine it's built to make you smile but not exactly a daily driver. Now imagine the soul of your LC but in electric form it would be a way better car unless you absolutely must have that engine note.

And I can never go back to a car that doesn't have OTA updates. Don't confuse this with my old school Toyota's I like them in a similar way you like your LC.
Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
It each its own. We like what we like as long as it looks good to you. 🤝
If you sat in my Camry wagon you would change your mind, wouldn't able to help it. When I take it to Toyota picking up parts I get mobbed by sales people.
Old 04-02-24, 07:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
First of all, I drive an EV (PHEV), and LOVE it. I have also driven another EV (HEV) for almost 15 years now. I also LOVE it. I may own a BEV in future, but that will depend on how the situation develops. So yes, I am here because I am into EV cars. In fact, I probably will never buy a pure ICE in future, as I know how good EVs are.

Second, as far as I can figure I have been posting facts and data, as opposed to simply opinions on any OP thread.

Third, being skeptical and coldly objective about a topic is hardly trying to be argumentative. I try to give a different perspective if possible, one rooted in my viewpoint and in surveys or studies done out there.

In this case, someone mentioned that no one goes back to ICE after trying a BEV. Obviously, this is hardly possible (especially as it is derived from anecdotal evidence of which I have my own), so I posted something that shows that yes, people DO go back or buy more ICE even after owning a BEV (or a PHEV, or an HEV). Happens all the time. Nothing in that article is completely false, assuming their statistics are done correctly.
Sorry, that's not a BEV. Not by any stretch. But keep convincing yourself lol 😂
Old 04-02-24, 07:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

If a car has a catalytic converter it's a gas car end of story.
Old 04-02-24, 07:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

🫣
Ok, so one person traded in their Tesla for a RAV4? Oh no Tesla...watch out 🤣🤣
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 07:15 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Your Lexus is a high priced joy machine it's built to make you smile but not exactly a daily driver. Now imagine the soul of your LC but in electric form it would be a way better car unless you absolutely must have that engine note.

And I can never go back to a car that doesn't have OTA updates. Don't confuse this with my old school Toyota's I like them in a similar way you like your LC.

If you sat in my Camry wagon you would change your mind, wouldn't able to help it. When I take it to Toyota picking up parts I get mobbed by sales people.
My R4P get OTA updates.

My friend’s parents used to have same body style Camry you have. My friend accidentally knocked it out of park and it rolled back into a neighbor’s car. 🤣

Toyota techs/staff as I’m sure other manufacturer’s staff appreciate seeing older models still on the road. I get it.
Old 04-02-24, 07:21 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Ok, so one person traded in their Tesla for a RAV4? Oh no Tesla...watch out 🤣🤣

You guys said no one goes back. I found 2!!🤣🤣

But I’m sure more move from hybrids to BEVs than the other way around. Hybrids/PHEVs owners are just testing the waters.

Old 04-02-24, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Of course some people go back, but most don’t.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (04-02-24), BayeauxLex (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 07:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

5% is a tipping point?

and so many countries have govts that massively distorted market economics to push ev's.

while some u.s. states push hard, others have done nothing so very little adoption.
If you read the article you would get it. 5% is tipping point because it creates ev economy and accelerates after that. No stopping.

Plenty of examples of countries there that accelerated after reaching 5%.
Margate330 (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 07:25 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

ah, the toyota spin. i guess any vehicle (even my gas golf cart) with a 12v battery can be called an ev. .
It's not the "toyota spin"

HEVs and PHEVS are electric (passenger) vehicles.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric

All-electric vehicles—also referred to as battery electric vehicles (BEVs)—plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), and hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) all use electricity to improve vehicle efficiency. In colloquial references, these three vehicle types are sometimes called electric cars, electric-drive vehicles, electric vehicles, or simply EVs even though some of these vehicles still use liquid fuels in conjunction with electricity. BEVs and PHEVs are also referred to more specifically as plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs)

And I doubt your golf cart can go 90 mph on a highway, or is even legal in one. Try going to work in one, or taking a road trip.

Old 04-02-24, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
I doubt your golf cart can go 90 mph on a highway, or is even legal in one. Try going to work in one, or taking a road trip.
I wouldn’t want to do any of these things in a Prius either, to be fair lol

Refer to the rules of this forum as to what is an EV, PHEVs are, but HEVs are to be discussed in Car Chat and not here. For the purpose of discussion on this site they aren’t considered EVs

EV Chat posting guidelines (please read them all before posting here, your ongoing access depends on following them)

1. Topics should only be EV related including BEV (Battery Electric Vehicles) or PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles) or about EV supporting technology and infrastructure. HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicles) should continue to be discussed in Car Chat.

IMO, to be able to be considered an EV on any level it’s got to plug into a wall.

Margate330 (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 07:29 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
If you read the article you would get it. 5% is tipping point because it creates ev economy and accelerates after that. No stopping.

Plenty of examples of countries there that accelerated after reaching 5%.
Thank you for explaining because I was wondering the same thing.

I'm still a little skeptical at 5% but I'll take ya'll s word on that.
Old 04-02-24, 07:40 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I highly question how anyone could drive a Tesla then trade it for something like a Toyota hybrid you're going back 15+ years in technology the experience just plain sucks. A 2024 Toyota has infotainment from the stone ages.

I'm about the biggest Toyota fanboy ever but look at this, ugh.

I don't think it looks that bad.

Yeah, no frills for sure but I give it a PASS. 🤖
Old 04-02-24, 07:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You guys said no one goes back. I found 2!!🤣🤣

But I’m sure more move from hybrids to BEVs than the other way around. Hybrids/PHEVs owners are just testing the waters.
Oh no.... you found two 😂. You really have to stop taking people literally 🤣

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-02-24 at 07:45 PM.
BayeauxLex (04-02-24)
Old 04-02-24, 08:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Oh no.... you found two 😂. You really have to stop taking people literally 🤣

LOL I’m just joking. I respect all cars and the reasons owners have them. I saw a Model X today at Walmart that was parked in the same spot I usually see a sweet blacked out Model S and a Ford Lightning parked at same Walmart. I assume whoever drives it owns all 3. Like I told my daughter, that Model X was probably the fastest car in the parking lot. Tipped my 🧢

I drove the kids to school and ran a few errands earlier today in my PHEV in EV mode. Then later on I wanted to row some gears so I took the 4 banger for a drive to take my daughter to ballet 🩰 practice and also to give the car a test drive for the upcoming track day.

Best of both worlds😏
AMIRZA786 (04-02-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation