EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 12:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I think EV and hybrid sales will continue to grow but not at such crazy pace as some predicted. Without government incentives and 0% financing from Ford, their EV sales would be much worse.

Let the free market decide and allow people to buy V8 and V12 not just the billionaires. There is room for all these cars hybrids, ICE, EV etc. Just like some ppl are ok with small apartment and other want 5 acres of land for their one family house.
Old 04-06-24, 12:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think EV and hybrid sales will continue to grow but not at such crazy pace as some predicted. Without government incentives and 0% financing from Ford, their EV sales would be much worse.

Let the free market decide and allow people to buy V8 and V12 not just the billionaires. There is room for all these cars hybrids, ICE, EV etc. Just like some ppl are ok with small apartment and other want 5 acres of land for their one family house.
I totally agree with this. Let the market decide, and if big V8's win, I'm fine with that. I'm all about people deciding with their wallets.

So in all fairness, government needs to stop subsidizing oil and gas, as well as EV'S. Then we'll see where people's wallets go
Old 04-06-24, 12:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So in all fairness, government needs to stop subsidizing oil and gas, as well as EV'S. Then we'll see where people's wallets go
I'm baffled how people can complain about EV subsidies and not be bothered by fossil fuel subsidies. In 2022 the number was $7 trillion. Trillion not billion.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-06-24)
Old 04-06-24, 01:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'm baffled how people can complain about EV subsidies and not be bothered by fossil fuel subsidies. In 2022 the number was $7 trillion. Trillion not billion.
In the 90's and early 2000’s, the Chevy Suburban ruled the large SUV market. They are huge and roomy, comfortable with a butter smooth V8. My brother had one, as he had a big family with 3 daughters and 3 other children (his brother in laws) that he was taking care of. Gas at that time was in the $2 range, so you could drive a gas guzzler with no penalty. And why wouldn't you, I would rather drive a V8 any day over a four or six cylinder.

2006, and gas shot up to the $5 mark. My brother would have to put his credit card in twice just to fill up... and this was at least twice a week. So all of a sudden people were selling their suburbans, and the Honda Fit became the most popular car in the Bay area. I remember it was the top recommended car from consumer reports at the time.

If the government stops subsidizing oil, we'll have prices like Europe, where they pay $7 or $8 a gallon. So take away all oil subsidies, as well as any EV tax credits, and you'll see people start looking at EV'S and actual test driving them. Game over
LeX2K (04-06-24)
Old 04-06-24, 02:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

If the government stops subsidizing oil, we'll have prices like Europe, where they pay $7 or $8 a gallon. So take away all oil subsidies, as well as any EV tax credits, and you'll see people start looking at EV'S and actual test driving them. Game over
U.S. will be the last market to move into EVs en masse.

Old 04-06-24, 02:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

U.S. will be the last market to move into EVs en masse.
That's pretty apparent. Thankfully where I live it's moving really fast. 25 percent of new cars already
Old 04-06-24, 02:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Some of you. are forgetting fossil fuels do wayyyyyyyy more than just fill up our gas tanks... jack all that up everything else goes up even more.

There is no reason to raise gas prices just to try to get people to get into an EV.

WADR, Amirza.... Suburbans still do rule the road lol. Know how many Suburbans and Yukons I saw on my 13 hour drive yesterday?

You just can't beat them for hauling and traveling and comfort and safety, and they are just better than ever.
Old 04-06-24, 02:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Some of you. are forgetting fossil fuels do wayyyyyyyy more than just fill up our gas tanks... jack all that up everything else goes up even more.

There is no reason to raise gas prices just to try to get people to get into an EV.

WADR, Amirza.... Suburbans still do rule the road lol. Know how many Suburbans and Yukons I saw on my 13 hour drive yesterday?

You just can't beat them for hauling and traveling and comfort and safety, and they are just better than ever.
I'm not against fossil fuels. And I do like the Suburban, I only brought this up because people criticize EV tax credits, but love government subsidized gas. That's all I'm saying. You either hate government intervention, or you like it. Can't have it both ways.

Suburbans don't sell even near the numbers they use to. RAV4, Honda CRV and other small SUV/CUV out sell them by a large number. They used to be the most popular SUV in SoCal, but not longer. I rarely see new ones, most of the ones I see are 90's or early 2000 models. You can pull up the sales numbers yourself
Old 04-06-24, 02:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Some of you. are forgetting fossil fuels do wayyyyyyyy more than just fill up our gas tanks...
What % of oil is used for transport.
Old 04-06-24, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Thats not what he was suggesting. He was saying if someone is against subsidies for EVs and EV development they should also be against oil subsidies...if you're against subsidies, be against subsidies.
AMIRZA786 (04-06-24)
Old 04-06-24, 02:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

It's because they don't know
Old 04-06-24, 02:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not what he was suggesting. He was saying if someone is against subsidies for EVs and EV development they should also be against oil subsidies...if you're against subsidies, be against subsidies.
Yep, I'm just saying let's play fair, and let's not be hypocritical. If people don't believe in government intervention and handouts, let's apply this evenly across the board
Old 04-06-24, 05:17 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Yep, I'm just saying let's play fair, and let's not be hypocritical. If people don't believe in government intervention and handouts, let's apply this evenly across the board
Sure. How many gasoline vehicles did the government pay people to buy? How many gasoline stations did the government pay for?

Old 04-06-24, 05:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I'm not against fossil fuels. And I do like the Suburban, I only brought this up because people criticize EV tax credits, but love government subsidized gas. That's all I'm saying. You either hate government intervention, or you like it. Can't have it both ways.

Suburbans don't sell even near the numbers they use to. RAV4, Honda CRV and other small SUV/CUV out sell them by a large number. They used to be the most popular SUV in SoCal, but not longer. I rarely see new ones, most of the ones I see are 90's or early 2000 models. You can pull up the sales numbers yourself
I didn't say you were against them. And I don't want to get into politics but that's really black and white. I hate the government and government intervention, but am I glad my tax dollars go to School Zone signs to protect kids and helps the single mother who lost her job feed her kids and pay her rent.

They still sell a lot of Suburbans and GM makes a fortune on each one.

They're just expensive, they've (all the big ones) have become the luxury car of SUVs.

Not including the Escalade, the big boys at GM sell about a quarter million of these a year. I went to GM Authority and roughly added them up for 2023, that's not exact. At least 250,000 of them, and let's say conservatively each is 60k....poof. Money from the sky.

That's a shytton of expensive trucks. And the profit margins are just HUGE.

They ain't worried about Honda crossovers. But yes, there are many more choices as opposed to long ago.

Big American BOF SUVs are never going anywhere, ever. Especially the Suburban. Gas/electric/nuclear/popcorn-machine-powered lol.
Old 04-06-24, 05:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I didn't say he said that lol. However scenario was brought up where gas was $7 and that there may be "no choice" or "game over" or something.

I'm not trying to get tit for tat here, I got his point... Let's move on before we get stopped.

Last edited by AJT123; 04-06-24 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation