EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-23 | 05:46 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The EQS looks have grown on me, but I wish they colored the wheel arches same as the body for all models
On a black car, I could not care less personally. It's not a detail I lose sleep over and I would not care if our next EQS did or didn't have body colored arches (though I plan on staying with black. On another color, I could feel differently but generally, this isn't a detail I pay attention to)

Does it bother you that the Model Y and Model X don't have body colored arches? There's no way to get color-matched arches on those from the factory

Old 11-10-23 | 05:54 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Tesla catches fire in Plano, owner says it started with battery
Old 11-10-23 | 05:58 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Happened near me. Interesting from the article -
The car's owner told WFAA that they heard a hissing sound coming from the battery, which was installed Thursday. When the owner checked the car, flames were shooting from the battery, they said.
Old 11-10-23 | 06:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by babaijebu
Happened near me. Interesting from the article -
I wonder who replaced the battery. It's not a job for an average shop.
Old 11-10-23 | 07:33 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
On a black car, I could not care less personally. It's not a detail I lose sleep over and I would not care if our next EQS did or didn't have body colored arches (though I plan on staying with black. On another color, I could feel differently but generally, this isn't a detail I pay attention to)

Does it bother you that the Model Y and Model X don't have body colored arches? There's no way to get color-matched arches on those from the factory

That's why I bought it in black . I just mentioned it, but that's not a deal breaker for me either
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23 | 08:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Great article on ev adoption and sales and challenges.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...ly-adopted-evs
AMIRZA786 (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23 | 09:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i think big question is expectations as well. In Europe, 25% of currently sold new vehicles are bev+phev, which is huge. Gaining more than that across complete Europe will be slower than getting here, until at least there is a next batch of vehicles at under $35k price.

I also wonder if old manufacturers are not paying for the smear campaigns, pretty much whenever there is a Tesla that breaks, one of my friends send me a whatsapp about it because it ends up in the news.
Old 11-10-23 | 09:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Good article. When the iPhone first came out, $600 was a big ask for people who were used to getting free phones from carriers, and only "elites" stood in line for hours to buy one. Fast forward to today, T-Mobile is giving away iPhone 15Pro if you sign on for 24 months.

In order for EV adoption to catch is not only affordability, but access to reliable charginging, either at home or publicly. It looks like Public infrastructure is finally starting to move more rapidly, I'm seeing EA changing out their older chargers for newer ones and expanding their charging locations. Tesla has done it, so it can be done

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-10-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-10-23 | 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

for broader adoption we will need charging options at apartments and condos, more affordable cars, and VASTLY expanded public charging infrastructure.

that will cost TRILLIONS and take a decade.

it's all great for home owners like many of us who also, as the article points out, have an ICE vehicle (just in case lol), and can afford the vehicles.

the article points out average income for tesla owners is 2x average income overall, so yeah, there's that, too.
Old 11-10-23 | 10:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

for broader adoption we will need charging options at apartments and condos, more affordable cars, and VASTLY expanded public charging infrastructure.

that will cost TRILLIONS and take a decade.
I disagree. Here in California, apartment complexes, Condos/Townhouse complexes, companies and hotels are building and adding more and more Level 2 charging everyday. The company I'm working for is thinking about doing it. If you use the Plugshare app here, you can find charging everywhere. If we can do it here, it can be done anywhere. Unless you are saying we are more forward thinking than other areas around the country . The biggest challenge for non Tesla EV owners is while travelling, but even that is changing rapidly.

Change is never easy

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-10-23 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-10-23 | 12:57 PM
1111GS

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The EQS looks have grown on me, but I wish they colored the wheel arches same as the body for all models
The problem that this and Tesla's don't seem to bother some because you don't have choices with Tesla and on EQS it will be black painted, not color matched. So not really much different look from the standard one. Unlike these, AMG and AMG Line Appearance on GLE and GLS and M Sports on X5/7 are color matched and also differently designed. So the looks are significantly improved, even on dark colored cars. Once you've seen them, you would wonder why they even had the std option. Look **** ugly IMO. They look like a different brand/car. And the cost is so insignificant compared to the price of the car. This is one of those options that you would jump in.
AMIRZA786 (11-10-23)
Old 11-11-23 | 06:16 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Talking

That is so awesome!! You have the same weed trimmer as I do! I absolutely love my EGO power equipment. In fact, I have the mower, blower, edger, and weed trimmer. By the way, your EQS is pretty cool too! 😉
The following 3 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
AMIRZA786 (11-11-23), bitkahuna (11-11-23), signdetres (11-12-23)
Old 11-13-23 | 09:07 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Exxon Mobil will start lithium production for EV's by 2027 leveraging land they purchased in Arkansas.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/comm...27-2023-11-13/
AMIRZA786 (11-13-23)
Old 11-13-23 | 09:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

From Robinhood's weekly newsletter, "Snacks"

THE TAKEAWAYAfter committing $100B to the EV transition, top carmakers shift out of the fast lane

Foot off the electric pedal… US automakers have said in recent years that they’d spend billions on EV production. That seemed like a good bet, especially after the Biden admin introduced financial incentives to aid in its goal that half of all new-vehicle sales should be electric by 2030. But lately they’ve been downshifting: GM, Ford, and even Tesla said they’d delay spending on electric models and factories, citing slower sales and econ jitters as they put tens of billions in investments on ice.
  • GM ditched its goal of building 400K EVs by next summer and is delaying the release of some new models as automakers second-guess electric financials.
  • Ford pushed back its plan to spend $12B on EV factories, saying customers are reluctant to pay extra for e-whips.
  • Tesla (which accounts for half of all EV sales) might delay building a $1B plant in Mexico. Despite steep price cuts, Tesla’s Q3 sales fell from Q2.
Fast but not furious (enough)… Last quarter, US EV sales were up 50% from a year ago, growing faster than any other major car category (like: gas, hybrid) and accounting for 8% of all new cars sold. Still, execs expected even strongergrowth to validate the major moolah they’re investing. EV sales growth has cooled, despite price cuts to fuel demand. Not to mention: federal tax credits of up to $7.5K for buyers.
  • Car cos say they’re still committed to the electric transition, but intense competition has pushed prices down.
  • The EV-price-slashing race has cut into profits, while demand (though strong) isn’t enough to offset the hits.
  • FYI: Tesla is the only US carmaker with a profitable EV business, and its profit plunged 44% last quarter after it cut prices by ~25%.
The price is still not right… For carmakers, repeatedly dropping prices could be a losing game. For Main Street buyers, prices (and loan rates) are still too high, even with generous gov’t incentives. The average price paid for an EV in the US last month was about $51K, down from $65K last year. Range anxiety is easing, thanks to investments in charging networks, but price is still the top concern for folks considering going electric
Old 11-13-23 | 09:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Volvo just announced the EM90 for the Chinese market. I'd love to get one of these to replace the Ody. Supposedly a 450mi range

AMIRZA786 (11-13-23)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation