EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 03:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Why the hell is there water on the roads?

What is that about?
Old 05-02-24, 04:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Why the hell is there water on the roads?

What is that about?
Damned if I know 😂
Old 05-02-24, 05:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Hydroplaning can occur on any type of vehicle (more so on AWD) and condition of tires plays an important factor. But regenerating braking certainly can set this up. Of course if you're a well experienced driver, you should be fine and know what to do when you hit the water. But when panic, people tend to either press on the accelerator/gas more or quickly let it go. Either way with Tesla is a bad move and can lead to hydroplaning. As active as you are on here, I'm surprised you have not seen any report from real owners on your social media feeds. I'm not sure if it's coincident but Tesla talk about how to reduce hydroplaning in their manuals too.
I don't trust stuff random unverified posts on the Internet. I'm not saying Tesla's don't hydroplane, any car can, especially if met with the right conditions. For the last two years I've driven my Polestar through bad rainy conditions, and this year was particularly bad driving the Tesla, and I've never even remotely felt any loss of control. I drove it through several flooded roads and on the freeway when it was pouring so hard I had to put the wipers on full.

Again, not saying you can't lose control in slippery conditions, you could, but Tesla's TC is excellent from my experience
Old 05-02-24, 06:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Hydroplaning can occur on any type of vehicle (more so on AWD) and condition of tires plays an important factor. But regenerating braking certainly can set this up. Of course if you're a well experienced driver, you should be fine and know what to do when you hit the water. But when panic, people tend to either press on the accelerator/gas more or quickly let it go. Either way with Tesla is a bad move and can lead to hydroplaning. As active as you are on here, I'm surprised you have not seen any report from real owners on your social media feeds. I'm not sure if it's coincident but Tesla talk about how to reduce hydroplaning in their manuals too.
Regenerative braking is pretty light and also easily modulated.

Sure people can panic on ice or water but those people will also hit brakes hard at those situations.

Never really heard of this as a problem in our large tesla group.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-02-24)
Old 05-02-24, 06:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

Sure people can panic on ice or water but those people will also hit brakes hard at those situations.

We had atmospheric rains in California this winter where water was pouring like buckets and roads were flooded, the Tesla handled it easily, I never felt unsafe at all. Polestar as well
Old 05-02-24, 06:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

It's nearly impossible to spin out a Tesla in any conditions I tried.
Old 05-02-24, 07:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Tires make a big difference when hydroplaning and not much traction control can do about that once you start hydroplaning.

As far as traction, my EV is the best car I have ever had of any car I’ve owned and it not even close.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (05-02-24), bowser (05-03-24)
Old 05-02-24, 07:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Tires make a big difference when hydroplaning and not much traction control can do about that once you start hydroplaning.

As far as traction, my EV is the best car I have ever had of any car I’ve owned and it not even close.
See, I'm not crazy 🤣. Same here. None of the many gasoline cars I've driven comes close
Old 05-03-24, 03:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
See, I'm not crazy 🤣. Same here. None of the many gasoline cars I've driven comes close
Of course they don't, and that's against best of ice cars. My Model S LR has better traction with way more power than my A7 3.0 tfsi, which supposedly had one of the best systems.

Most gas cars don't have great awd systems at all. They are on demand systems to just start going. Toyota hybrids have pretty rudimentary awd systems.
AMIRZA786 (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 09:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

No hydroplaning here.

AMIRZA786 (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 09:41 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't trust stuff random unverified posts on the Internet. I'm not saying Tesla's don't hydroplane, any car can, especially if met with the right conditions. For the last two years I've driven my Polestar through bad rainy conditions, and this year was particularly bad driving the Tesla, and I've never even remotely felt any loss of control. I drove it through several flooded roads and on the freeway when it was pouring so hard I had to put the wipers on full.
Again, not saying you can't lose control in slippery conditions, you could, but Tesla's TC is excellent from my experience
Originally Posted by spwolf
These are not random unverified posts. Maybe not in your groups but they are everywhere else. I did a search and saw a hand full of posts from owners and stopped scrolling. Here is an article I found: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/r...ng-206345.html and here is the petition with over 3k signatures.
Old 05-03-24, 10:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

These are not random unverified posts. Maybe not in your groups but they are everywhere else. I did a search and saw a hand full of posts from owners and stopped scrolling. Here is an article I found: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/r...ng-206345.html and here is the petition with over 3k signatures.
i am not saying they are either, just that i did not hear about this recently among large number of Tesla owners. Maybe they updated their regen or something. Spent a bit of time every year in mountains under nice snow, in past 3 years that i got my Teslas, and didnt feel regen is bad, on contrary felt better than braking when you are going down the mountain, as you do have to slow down and doing so with motors is better than with brakes.

I am sure there are people with different experiences, and some of this might be learning how to drive an EV which is different.
AMIRZA786 (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 10:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My experiences have been completely different. Model Y for me is one of the best handling cars on wet roads, including a winding mountain road I drove in the rain
Old 05-03-24, 01:28 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm consistently impressed at how my EV handles the wet, including acceleration from a stop. It really is quite remarkable, it just gets going and expertly puts down just as much power as it can. It does not put a foot wrong. My Defender is also incredible in the wet. It's actually better than the EV, but that doesn't at all undermine how good the EV is because the EV is doing it with the best part of 600 hp and 800 lb/ft to handle.
Old 05-03-24, 03:46 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Hydroplaning can occur on any type of vehicle (more so on AWD)
This is total baloney lol. AWD has literally nothing to do with hydroplaning
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorola:
bowser (05-03-24), LeX2K (05-03-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation