EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24 | 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I love Rolls Royce. I know this is controversial, but I'm gonna say it anyway.. I see so much Rolls in the new 7 series... I think BMW knew exactly what they were doing. Just watching the first few minutes of the video, without the iconic RR grille, it looks so similar to the 7. I view that as a good thing for BMW.
Originally Posted by jrmckinley
It's more controversial for Bit as the one who I'm responding to because I think he likes Rolls (who doesn't) but isn't a fan of the new 7.
ha, thanks... nothing controversial as bmw owns rolls royce and they share platforms and parts, although you likely won't find a bmw logo on a rolls!

but the rolls sceptre to me looks a billion times better than the i7.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Well, let me help youz guyz out... In March 2018 we did the solar project which was the solar and a new roof. I got a 30% tax credit, which sorta kinda made the roof free, if you want to look at it that way...
In Dec 2018 we got the Model 3. I'm sure I am past the project break even point. NEM2 baby! I now pay about $10 - $15 per month, all in, to run the house and car. Now, once in a while I Supercharge for 10 to 15 minutes...
so i assume you paid for the solar panels/install up front, is that right? or is your solar system loan payment not covered here?
Old 05-09-24 | 09:00 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i assume you paid for the solar panels/install up front, is that right? or is your solar system loan payment not covered here?
Cash. I conservatively calculated a 6 year break even point; that did not include EV fuel savings or the crazy price increase of energy here.

I love my solar. Sometimes you get lucky.
The following users liked this post:
bowser (05-09-24)
Old 05-10-24 | 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Cash. I conservatively calculated a 6 year break even point; that did not include EV fuel savings or the crazy price increase of energy here.

I love my solar. Sometimes you get lucky.
nice. just wanted to clarify that you didn't just 'get solar' and suddenly get money back every month, that you shelled out the cash, but good for you!

i've looked into solar a couple of times. i'm not thrilled about having holes drilled in my roof for one thing, especially as i now have a new metal roof, but do you have a guess as to how long from here on your roof will last, and the impact that having to remove the solar to redo the roof will be?

i've got plenty of land so am considering a solar array on a ground stand instead.

Old 05-10-24 | 03:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

So a neighbor recently got a Hummer SUV EV. The battery in that thing is so massive, it only adds 11 miles per hour from a 60w L2. I’m not sure about his exact setup but he has to top off at our local EA station once a week.
Old 05-10-24 | 04:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
So a neighbor recently got a Hummer SUV EV. The battery in that thing is so massive, it only adds 11 miles per hour from a 60w L2. I’m not sure about his exact setup but he has to top off at our local EA station once a week.
think you meant 60A L2? anyway... yeah a 200kwh battery on a not very efficient platform is gonna drink electricity
AMIRZA786 (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24 | 05:58 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

think you meant 60A L2? anyway... yeah a 200kwh battery on a not very efficient platform is gonna drink electricity
ah yeah 60A. I saw on the Hummer forums that you can get an 80A installed for 40 mi/h charging rate.
Old 05-10-24 | 06:43 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

i've looked into solar a couple of times. i'm not thrilled about having holes drilled in my roof for one thing, especially as i now have a new metal roof, but do you have a guess as to how long from here on your roof will last, and the impact that having to remove the solar to redo the roof will be?

i've got plenty of land so am considering a solar array on a ground stand instead.
Spot on; you don't wanna install solar on an older roof. My roof was about half life; probably had the better part of 15 years left. I considered solar for 4 years before I pulled the trigger. The deal was a new 30 year high quality roof and 20 year solar project. I got 30% of the project cost off my federal income tax. I did not qualify for the CA program due to income requirements. The total project invoice was $30K as I recall which was very good. I had played numerous companies off against each other. The final 2 were Costco Sunrun and Infinity Solar. Ultimately Sunrun, who was very helpful, said the Infinity package was hard to beat especially with the newest tech components. So I got back about $9K in tax credit.

The roof is guaranteed for 30 years and the solar is guaranteed for 20. With rising CA energy costs, this worked out very well. I am on NEM2, which means I get close to 40 cents per kWh produced.
At the time I knew I would retire soon; no more Silicon Valley paychecks. My personal finance plan was always to minimize recurring costs for the long term. This project made sense because the new roof and smaller energy costs took a lot of future expenses off the table.
Of course the EV serves to maximize the value of the asset. Sometimes you get lucky.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 05-10-24 at 06:47 PM.
bitkahuna (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24 | 09:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

$30k for the roof and the solar? well that's not happening today unless someone's in a tiny house.

Old 05-11-24 | 05:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

$30k for the roof and the solar? well that's not happening today unless someone's in a tiny house.
No kidding. My roof (and gutters) last month was $22k. 2600sqft ranch. We've been putting off solar because we've known a replacement was coming, so it didn't make sense. Now it can go back in the consideration set.

Also note that even if you do them as part of the same project, the roof replacement is NOT eligible for the 30% tax credit.

Originally Posted by Internal Revenue Service

Q. Is a roof eligible for the residential energy efficient property tax credit?

A. In general, traditional roofing materials and structural components do not qualify for the credit. However, some solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles serve as solar electric collectors while also performing the function of traditional roofing, serving both the functions of solar electric generation and structural support and such items may qualify for the credit. Components such as a roof's decking or rafters that serve only a roofing or structural function do not qualify for the credit.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/energy-...ns-and-answers

Including the cost of the roof replacement in a claim for the energy credit is tax fraud and will likely draw an audit. That doesn't stop lots of unethical installers from telling unwitting customers that it's allowed.
Old 05-11-24 | 06:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I was going to ask why no one had considered a Tesla Solar roof. Then I did some quick research and figured out why.

LINK
bitkahuna (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24 | 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha! Yeah. $222,000 is my energy bill for 51 years...pass lol
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
bitkahuna (05-11-24), LexTess (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24 | 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
No kidding. My roof (and gutters) last month was $22k. 2600sqft ranch.
my metal roof on house (3200sqft, 2 story) and small barn was $90k

solar won't save me anything until 10 years out, even with a tax credit, so i'm not motivated beyond "it would be cool".

i know it's exciting to have low or negative electricity 'bill' but you're still either shelling out the up front for the system or have another loan payment.

quotes so far have been $40-50k for a solar system.
AMIRZA786 (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24 | 10:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Self balancing electric motorcycle.

​​​​
AMIRZA786 (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24 | 07:25 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Yes, I did pretty well. I love my solar. Our house is pretty small, about 1200+ sq ft. This pic is a little older; we just got it painted. Welcome to Los Gatos, at the foot of the Sants Cruz Mountains.
swajames (05-12-24)
Old 05-11-24 | 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I did pretty well. I love my solar. Our house is pretty small, about 1200+ sq ft. This pic is a little older; we just got it painted. Welcome to Los Gatos, at the foot of the Sants Cruz Mountains.
nice! i'm not sure i want to live in 1200sq ft as of now, but i know real estate is very expensive where you are. and i've been to los gatos (a long time ago).

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation