EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 07:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm not predicting how it's going to sell, I just wanted your take as a truck owner. I doubt this is intended for contractors. Most of the large recreational truck owners I know paid a pretty penny for theirs
It has good numbers for an EV, I wonder how accurate that range is.

But ultimately it's just too expensive and that's not just going to take any meaningful hold on Silverado/Sierra/Denali sales.
Old 05-20-24, 07:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It has good numbers for an EV, I wonder how accurate that range is.

But ultimately it's just too expensive and that's not just going to take any meaningful hold on Silverado/Sierra/Denali sales.
Range was tested, there's a video posted somewhere in CL. As far as will it sell in decent numbers, I'm making no predictions
Old 05-20-24, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so that silverado ev is unibody.

and over 9000lbs

and 95k

but is it a 'real truck'?
Like I said, its not imaginary! Is it a real truck? I would say no lol

Originally Posted by AJT123
GM has masssssively scaled back their ambitions, wisely. This was supposed to be out a year and a half ago. I hope it's not on the same Ultim platform that they've been having all these issues with.

Still, selling 1500 of them isn't really anything to write home about. But at least I'm not being told by MT it's one of the most significant vehicles ever that will lead everyone into EVdom.
Uh huh, you said it would never be built and here it is
Old 05-21-24, 12:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Am I glad I never bought Rivian......

I was given some shares as a gift by a friend a few years ago, I should have just cashed them out then
Old 05-21-24, 12:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

If you keep buying you'll lower your average cost per share and it won't seem as bad
The following 3 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (05-21-24), FrankReynoldsCPA (05-21-24), swajames (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 01:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

For me RIVN are a long term hold now, and may well be one that's worth holding on to. At some point they might take off, and I think they will as they have excellent product and sensible leadership. I can't tell you how many stocks I bought from around 2005 to around 2010 that dropped so I sold, and if I'd simply held I'd have made a ton. One example - Priceline, now booking.com, which I bought in the $20 to $100 range and it's now $3819. I've no plans to sell my RIVN, even to shelter gains, because I think they are very undervalued. I've got some LCID too, I don't know I have the same confidence in that stock as I do in RIVN, but it's probably at the hold on and see what happens stage now. My other auto stocks, TSLA, TM, F and GM have all done well, TSLA most particularly but TM has also been a good one for us.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-21-24)
Old 05-21-24, 03:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
For me RIVN are a long term hold now, and may well be one that's worth holding on to. At some point they might take off, and I think they will as they have excellent product and sensible leadership. I can't tell you how many stocks I bought from around 2005 to around 2010 that dropped so I sold, and if I'd simply held I'd have made a ton. One example - Priceline, now booking.com, which I bought in the $20 to $100 range and it's now $3819. I've no plans to sell my RIVN, even to shelter gains, because I think they are very undervalued. I've got some LCID too, I don't know I have the same confidence in that stock as I do in RIVN, but it's probably at the hold on and see what happens stage now. My other auto stocks, TSLA, TM, F and GM have all done well, TSLA most particularly but TM has also been a good one for us.
Well I don't have that many shares, but I'll hold on to what I have!
Old 05-21-24, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
For me RIVN are a long term hold now, and may well be one that's worth holding on to. At some point they might take off, and I think they will as they have excellent product and sensible leadership.
problem with rivian is the only vehicles they sell (truck and suv) today are high 5 low 6 figure cars... can't sell in volume, and even if they could they'd likely still be hemorrhaging money. tesla (your bud musk lol) knew from the get go that he'd have to cost reduce like mad AND create manufacturing lines/plants for scale to have any chance of making money. rivian will never make it as a low volume producer. r2/r3 are years away. hoping for the best for them though.
Old 05-22-24, 01:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
problem with rivian is the only vehicles they sell (truck and suv) today are high 5 low 6 figure cars... can't sell in volume, and even if they could they'd likely still be hemorrhaging money. tesla (your bud musk lol) knew from the get go that he'd have to cost reduce like mad AND create manufacturing lines/plants for scale to have any chance of making money. rivian will never make it as a low volume producer. r2/r3 are years away. hoping for the best for them though.
And also very limited to USA only. Kind of feels as if they are not focused on selling cars, which Tesla, for all of Elons faults, really is.
The following 2 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (05-22-24), bitkahuna (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 09:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Saw my first, ever new Toyota Crown PHEV since they were released

I tried to get a pic of the side view, which looks really weird. It looks like it was raised up high, and placed on giant wheels. Not a great looking car, IMO of course. Which is probably why I've never seen any until today. The two tone paint (black hood) did look good, Toyota is a master at two tone
Old 05-22-24, 09:09 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
And also very limited to USA only. Kind of feels as if they are not focused on selling cars, which Tesla, for all of Elons faults, really is.
US and Canada. They need to get their NA deliveries flowing smoothly before expanding out to other markets. They aren't exactly flush with cash so it makes sense to wait for the R2 before going overseas
Old 05-22-24, 09:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I tried to get a pic of the side view, which looks really weird. It looks like it was raised up high, and placed on giant wheels. Not a great looking car, IMO of course. Which is probably why I've never seen any until today. The two tone paint (black hood) did look good, Toyota is a master at two tone
There's one in my neighborhood and it's damaged my retina. I cannot unsee it. It's got to be one of the ugliest vehicles (some weird Frankenstein of a car/CUV/SUV) I've ever seen. And to top it off, the two tone paint makes it even more ugly
AMIRZA786 (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
There's one in my neighborhood and it's damaged my retina. I cannot unsee it. It's got to be one of the ugliest vehicles (some weird Frankenstein of a car/CUV/SUV) I've ever seen. And to top it off, the two tone paint makes it even more ugly
Eh, that's the only thing I like about it. Especially the red with the black hood. But you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 05-22-24, 10:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Eh, that's the only thing I like about it. Especially the red with the black hood. But you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Maybe red/Black is not bad. The one near me is brown and black . But I can't get past the looks of the vehicle much less the paint
AMIRZA786 (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 12:10 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

If I’m not mistaken they aren’t plug ins. Just a hybrid. If it had a black hood, it’s probably a platinum trim level which has the same powertrain found in the Lexus TX 500h/RX 500H/Grand Highlander iforce max (2.4L turbo hybrid)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation