EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24 | 07:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Crisis averted, so weird. The navigation directed me to a hotel parking lot but the superchargers were in a separate shopping center parking lot down the hill. The navigation took me to the wrong place and for whatever reason it didn’t show up again when I input it in my phone/nav as if it wasn’t there and directed me to one 17 miles away.

When I finally found it there were 10 teslas and only 7 chargers so three were waiting so I left and came back. Now the issue is I am sitting at a supercharger at 10:30 at night and to charge to 70% it says 40 minutes. Everyone is back at the hotel and I’m sitting in a f’ing car. This totally blows.

I think for regular trips it would be fine because you are picking one destination and going. For a hockey trip you have about 4-6 destinations in a day and planning that out on the trip planner doesn’t work that well because plans change pretty quickly between where we end up going between the different games/rinks.
That sucks, but glad you found them. I avoid 150 kW and go to 250 kW unless I don't have a choice, which looks like your situation. My last trip to SoCal, I only had to charge once over 3 days. And now that my brother has a Tesla, I can charge at his house as he installed a charger.

Good luck to you on the rest of your trip
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (05-26-24)
Old 05-25-24 | 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The Tesla one I am at is only 150kw max at 0.36 per kWh.
ok well at least you got to one. 150kw is fine.
AMIRZA786 (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24 | 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

sounds like you should trade in the tesla and get a lucid air grand touring. over 500mi. of range.
Old 05-25-24 | 08:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That sucks, but glad you found them. I avoid 150 kW and go to 250 kW unless I don't have a choice, which looks like your situation. My last trip to SoCal, I only had to charge once over 3 days. And now that my brother has a Tesla, I can charge at his house as he installed a charger.

Good luck to you on the rest of your trip
All good now. The 250 charger is the one I was going to go to if I had to but I would have to drive 20 minutes there and back so this was better. We just need better charging networks here. They really need to build it out.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok well at least you got to one. 150kw is fine
Yes better than nothing but I’m sitting here behind a shopping center and it’s been 45 minutes for 65% charge. I done and just stopping for now, waste of time. It would have been nice if it was at a convenience store or something where I could get a drink or something.
AMIRZA786 (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24 | 11:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

All good now. The 250 charger is the one I was going to go to if I had to but I would have to drive 20 minutes there and back so this was better. We just need better charging networks here. They really need to build it out.

Yes better than nothing but I’m sitting here behind a shopping center and it’s been 45 minutes for 65% charge. I done and just stopping for now, waste of time. It would have been nice if it was at a convenience store or something where I could get a drink or something.
I was wondering why it's taking 45 minutes when it takes me 25 minutes to get to 80 percent, and it hit me, if you are using a 150 kW charger and someone is using the charger next to you, it drops to 75 kW. Which is one of the reasons I always go for 250 kW...no power sharing. Which is why you see people spaced apart when hitting 150 kW chargers
Old 05-26-24 | 06:02 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

I’m looking to rent a Model S (or 3) while in Vegas and may travel to Los Angeles. Reading this isn’t encouraging 🫨
Old 05-26-24 | 07:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I’m looking to rent a Model S (or 3) while in Vegas and may travel to Los Angeles. Reading this isn’t encouraging 🫨
You're also doing the hockey rink runs?
Old 05-26-24 | 07:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

West coast is a lot different than east coast. You shouldn’t have any issues like I had. It just highlights the need to build out the infrastructure around me. Plus most people don’t have multiple location stops in a day/weekend on a normal road trip without any downtime. This is going to sound bad but if I was with just my entire family I may enjoy a little 30-50 minute break to myself.

As far as the driving experience itself, driving an EV is so effortless with the smooth powertrain and one pedal driving it feels like it makes the trip easier and less fatiguing IMO, not sure why but it just does. The Model S seats are pretty comfortable with my only complaint being it doesn’t have a thigh extension on the lower part of the seat which for me is a big deal on trips and makes it that much more comfortable.
AMIRZA786 (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24 | 08:58 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Going back to the orginonal challenge I made earlier in this thread, I want to extend it out to all critics of EV's that have never driven one. I stand by my statement 100 percent that not only will EV's not go away, but as people get behind the wheel through test drives and leases, they will sell themselves. Fancy marketing will only be needed to get people behind the wheel, the amazing next level driving experience will do the rest!

Let's put aside the fact that 0 to 80 any decent EV can easily compete with or even beat expensive sports cars, especially off the line. But for 90 percent of the population, they can care less about that. And I agree, that's not what's really important, with the right know how you can mod an inexpensive car to be fast. What is important is the smooth drivetrain that can't really be explained in words. No routine maint except maybe cabin filters and windshield wiper fluid. 100 plus MPGe (my Model Y gets 122, my Polestar 108, and our Ioniq 5 around 110). The fact that you can fuel it at home for a fraction of the cost of gasoline. And lastly that today's EV's are now super fast charging, so for people who live in states or areas where there is proper charging infrastructure, travelling is getting close to that of a gasoline cars.

So back to the challenge. Most of the EV critics I've met have never driven an EV, or in one. They all share the same Youtube videos, instagram posts, meme's, talking points and misinformation to reaffirm and reinforce their staunch positions. They have without a better term, shut their minds to progress. Like the people who didn't want to give up the horse and wagon when the automobile came out. "I need to hear the engine" kind of sounds like "I need to hear the farts and snorts of my horse" to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a high revving engine, but just not on my daily commute.

So my challenge to those critics is to not convince you to buy an EV, but to test drive an EV. A Model 3 or Y (or even S or X). Don't like Tesla's? OK, then there is the Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6, or Kia EV6. There are Polestars (Polestar 2,3, and 4 coming out soon). There is BMW iX, i4, i5, i7 eDrive M50, M60 etc. There's the Ford Mach-E, and of course, the much hated by some F-150 Lightning. Just going on your local dealerships webpage and filling out a form gets you a test drive. Take an hour out of your day. And afterwards if you tell me it's not a better driving experience than ICE, than at the very least I can no longer criticize you for being closed minded. Of course you would have to show me proof of your test drive. I've had people claim they drove a Tesla and described the shoddy quality, then finding their exact talking points in Google.

And the challenge goes both ways, but just be warned, I've driven a ton of cars, from 2010 to 2021 I used to travel quite a bit to our San Antonio TX office, I rented everything from Chargers to Cadillac CTS on my companies dime
Interesting.
One of my Indian friends sent me this.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Da...ronmental-toll

It says that EV's are not as clean as meets the eye.
Instead, EV's emit considerably more particulate matter from tires.

Thus, they must really make a breakthrough in alternative battery chemistries to find a material with: (1) greater abundance for less political implications eg China witholding the sales of Lithium to Japan during the Senkaku Island dispute many years ago, or China witholding the sales of global Gallium used to make chips in 2023, (2) lower costs than rare earth metals, (3) much less invasive mining, (4) considerably higher energy density storage for much less weight for better roadholding, longer range and much less tire wear with much less particulate matter pollution, (5) much less battery degradation for overall longer battery life- to "genuinely" lower the carbon pollution, (6) plus faster charging for greater convenience, (7) less volatility and explosiveness, (8) other titbits like electricity must be generated by non-fossil fuel burning means, plus greater availability of reliable chargers.

Presently, EV's are great and only loved by a minority group of biased early adopters like AMIRZA786 - but controversially, EV's still have a considerable number of drawbacks.
We must find alternative battery chemistries to overcome these major drawbacks, before the mainstream market can fully adopt EV's.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-26-24 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-26-24 | 10:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I would do it in a heartbeat. There are so many chargers in California that range is a zero issue here. And if you are staying at a hotel most have destination chargers, so you probably won't even need a fast charger. Most of the theme parks, national parks have them. Should I go on?
Old 05-26-24 | 10:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Interesting.
One of my Indian friends sent me this.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Da...ronmental-toll

It says that EV's are not as clean as meets the eye.
Instead, EV's emit considerably more particulate matter from tires.

Thus, they must really make a breakthrough in alternative battery chemistries to find a material with: (1) greater abundance for less political implications eg China witholding the sales of Lithium to Japan during the Senkaku Island dispute many years ago, or China witholding the sales of global Gallium used to make chips in 2023, (2) lower costs than rare earth metals, (3) much less invasive mining, (4) considerably higher energy density storage for much less weight for better roadholding, longer range and much less tire wear with much less particulate matter pollution, (5) much less battery degradation for overall longer battery life- to "genuinely" lower the carbon pollution, (6) plus faster charging for greater convenience, (7) less volatility and explosiveness, (8) other titbits like electricity must be generated by non-fossil fuel burning means, plus greater availability of reliable chargers.

Presently, EV's are great and only loved by a minority group of biased early adopters like AMIRZA786 - but controversially, EV's still have a considerable number of drawbacks.
We must find alternative battery chemistries to overcome these major drawbacks, before the mainstream market can fully adopt EV's.
So now we're going back to the "EV'S are not that good for the environment" argument again? Talk about moving goal posts lol 🤣. What other arguments do you have in your anti EV handbook that have been dispelled that you're going to bring out? And I can see you're good at Googling, which is very commendable 🤣🤣

I asked people to test drive one, not go back to arguments based on 2015 battery tech. If you're to scared to test drive one, I won't hold you to it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-26-24 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-26-24 | 10:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I wouldn't expect any issues travelling between Vegas and SoCal in a Tesla. Highly travelled route between two areas with a LOT of Teslas.
Old 05-26-24 | 10:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Yeah I wouldn't expect any issues travelling between Vegas and SoCal in a Tesla. Highly travelled route between two areas with a LOT of Teslas.
I have lots of friends that travel to Vegas, even to the Grand Canyon with no issues. As @patgilm mentioned, the West Coast in general has a well built out Tesla charging network, which also includes destination chargers, which are free

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-26-24 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-26-24 | 10:55 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'll tell you what @peteharvey , it looks like you live in California. I don't know if you live in SoCal or NorCal, but you seem like you are one of those trustworth guys where his word is a handshake. I'm offering up a test drive of either my Model Y or Polestar. If you are in NorCal, than you let me know when you are available and I'll make it happen. If you are in SoCal, I'll be there in June and I'll find time to make it happen. You can take as much time as you want, drive it around, kick the tires, whatever. And if you tell me they don't drive better than a gasoline car, I'll shake your hand and we'll still part friends. I'm game if you're game
Old 05-26-24 | 12:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by Hameed
You're also doing the hockey rink runs?
West coast is a lot different than east coast. You shouldn’t have any issues like I had. It just highlights the need to build out the infrastructure around me. Plus most people don’t have multiple location stops in a day/weekend on a normal road trip without any downtime. This is going to sound bad but if I was with just my entire family I may enjoy a little 30-50 minute break to myself.

As far as the driving experience itself, driving an EV is so effortless with the smooth powertrain and one pedal driving it feels like it makes the trip easier and less fatiguing IMO, not sure why but it just does. The Model S seats are pretty comfortable with my only complaint being it doesn’t have a thigh extension on the lower part of the seat which for me is a big deal on trips and makes it that much more comfortable.
I would do it in a heartbeat. There are so many chargers in California that range is a zero issue here. And if you are staying at a hotel most have destination chargers, so you probably won't even need a fast charger. Most of the theme parks, national parks have them. Should I go on?
Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Just taking a little trip. The Model S I’m looking to rent is a 2018 P100D (its stated to be a Plaid equivalent). The others I’m looking at are 2020+ Model 3s. I also saved a 2024 Prius and a 2023 Camry just in case others fall through. I’m leaning towards The Model S, it would be a first for me. It’s showing to be a 270 mile drive between Vegas and L.A. The S should get me there without stopping to charge.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation