EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24 | 08:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I can tell you with 100% confidence there is life after Lexus. Don't be afraid. I have cars from two of the lowest rated brands for reliability, Mercedes and Chrysler and both are totally fine.
I went through the exact same thing when I got rid of my Lexus and got the lowest rated brand for reliability - Tesla.

Life does indeed continue 👍
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 08:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by geko29
CRs top five most reliable models are 4 Toyotas (really 3, since two are Camry) and a BMW. There is no Lexus model in the top 10. And I would say you're overly generous referring to Lexus' EV offerings as merely questionable. Their lone entry is the worst EV from any luxury brand, and in fact was designed (along with its Toyota cousin) for the sole purpose of "proving" that the EV market doesn't exist.
Expanding upon that, 7 of the top 10 CR rated individual reliable vehicles are Toyota models. I don’t disagree Lexus current EV offerings are weak but I’d say you are much less accurate with your reliability readout from an overall brand perspective according to CR

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...s-a7824554938/

I can tell you with 100% confidence there is life after Lexus. Don't be afraid. I have cars from two of the lowest rated brands for reliability, Mercedes and Chrysler and both are totally fine.
I think you’ve said that more than a few times, lol. To be fair you change your cars out every 3-4 years max so you rarely get outside of the ‘new car’ smell and reliability is less of a concern because of that.

Not saying folks can’t have great experiences with other brands at all. Just that (according to surveys) you are more likely to have a less reliable experience.
Old 05-28-24 | 08:48 AM
swajames
Pole Position

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with the LS430 - and I bought the last model year before the transition to the 460, so I speak from experience. It did ride well, it was comfortable, it was very well built and it never went wrong. But the handling, for its class and relative to its peers, was terrible, and it was underpowered. I haven't driven a 500, so no comment on that, but the 460s I drove all handled much better than the 430. It's a car I've never regretted selling. The 430 was great on the test drives, it was ownership that revealed more about the lack of power and particularly the ponderous handling (when compared to others in the class I tested, from BMW, Audi, MB and Jaguar).
Old 05-28-24 | 08:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

CRs top five most reliable models are 4 Toyotas (really 3, since two are Camry) and a BMW. There is no Lexus model in the top 10. And I would say you're overly generous referring to Lexus' EV offerings as merely questionable. Their lone entry is the worst EV from any luxury brand, and in fact was designed (along with its Toyota cousin) for the sole purpose of "proving" that the EV market doesn't exist.
This may be over reaching a bit, but Toyota's bz4x and the Lexus RZ e series is actually great marketing. Every single flaw mentioned about EV's by those less than enthusiastic about them are found in these particular BEV's. I mean if Toyota was my reference point and I thought the bz4x was the current BEV standard, I would definitely think a PHEV would be a better choice
signdetres (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 08:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
What he said. I haven't thought about Lexuses in a very long time...
BTW @signdetres , how's the EQS fairing? Haven't heard any updates from you in awhile
Old 05-28-24 | 09:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I just got back from WV and I was scoping out the charging options and made an interesting observation. They don’t show charging facilities on the signs before the exits that show what food/fuel/lodging is at each exit. EV owners don’t need those signs, because their nav systems route the chargers but I bet it would help adoption if people saw available charging on those signs…
that would be good, plus for people who aren't technically aware with an ev and just need a visual pointer.

CRs top five most reliable models are 4 Toyotas (really 3, since two are Camry) and a BMW. There is no Lexus model in the top 10.
depends on CR's definition of 'reliability'. "can't figure out the infotainment" or just infotainment glitches are often cited in 'surveys'.
Old 05-28-24 | 09:04 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
This may be over reaching a bit, but Toyota's bz4x and the Lexus RZ e series is actually great marketing. Every single flaw mentioned about EV's by those less than enthusiastic about them are found in these particular BEV's. I mean if Toyota was my reference point and I thought the bz4x was the current BEV standard, I would definitely think a PHEV would be a better choice
Oh it absolutely is, and has been done extremely successfully before:

That was a brilliant marketing coup that destroyed an entire product category. But it was launched just 8 months after that category was created. The bx4x/RZ are far too late to achieve anywhere near that level of impact.
AMIRZA786 (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think you’ve said that more than a few times, lol. To be fair you change your cars out every 3-4 years max so you rarely get outside of the ‘new car’ smell and reliability is less of a concern because of that.

Not saying folks can’t have great experiences with other brands at all. Just that (according to surveys) you are more likely to have a less reliable experience.
No doubt Toyota makes a very reliable car, but the differences between a top rated car and a middle of the pack rated car or even a poorly rated car is not as huge as people believe it is. All cars today are pretty darn reliable. My point is, if you want to try something else, don’t be afraid. Toyota and Lexus are not the only companies that make a reliable car.

With all of the time I have spent now in Mercedes forums, it depends on the model. I would keep this S560 until 150k miles no problem, because this model has shown that it’s very reliable. Would I feel as comfortable with a 48v S580 or GLS or GLE? Probably not.

We are talking about EVs though which IMO are lease machines nobody is going to want to keep for 10 years. I would have zero concerns getting an EV from Mercedes or BMW etc, even less concern than an ICE car.

Originally Posted by swajames
I'm not sure I understand the fascination with the LS430 - and I bought the last model year before the transition to the 460, so I speak from experience. It did ride well, it was comfortable, it was very well built and it never went wrong. But the handling, for its class and relative to its peers, was terrible, and it was underpowered. I haven't driven a 500, so no comment on that, but the 460s I drove all handled much better than the 430. It's a car I've never regretted selling. The 430 was great on the test drives, it was ownership that revealed more about the lack of power and particularly the ponderous handling (when compared to others in the class I tested, from BMW, Audi, MB and Jaguar).
This was my experience with the LS430. Of the LSs I had, it was my least favorite. It was a lovely car and they are very well made and reliable, but they are frumpy looking IMO, and are very soft and not great handlers. The 400 and 460s have a better ride/handling balance. The LS500 I drove last week also had a great ride handling balance.

Now “least favorite” doesn’t mean I didn’t like the car, I did. It’s a great car. I just prefer the more dynamic feel of the other LS generations and my S560.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-28-24 at 09:18 AM.
swajames (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 09:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Oh it absolutely is, and has been done extremely successfully before:

That was a brilliant marketing coup that destroyed an entire product category. But it was launched just 8 months after that category was created. The bx4x/RZ are far too late to achieve anywhere near that level of impact.
Well touche for excellent marketing from Toyota/Lexus! But it's only going to work for so long, not trying to sound like a broken record, but as people actually start driving "real" BEV's, the show is over, people will see behind the curtain the real Wizard of OZ. Which is why the challenges I made earlier in this thread still stands
Old 05-28-24 | 09:16 AM
swajames
Pole Position

CR doesn't weight those kind of problems the same as they weight mechanical problems. It's in their FAQ.
Old 05-28-24 | 09:24 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Isn't your Mercedes in the shop right now?
BayeauxLex (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 09:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Isn't your Mercedes in the shop right now?
It is, but my LSs also spent time in the shop. No car is perfect. The valve cover gasket leak its in for right now is the first issue its had outside of scheduled maintenance and wear items. Of all the Lexus vehicles I have owned, I'm trying to think of one that went 50k miles and didn't need any warranty repair...maybe my GS...

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-28-24 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-28-24 | 12:55 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
BTW @signdetres , how's the EQS fairing? Haven't heard any updates from you in awhile
It's been great and solid. It's a wonderful car to travel in. It absolutely eats up highway miles. Not a whole lot to report other than that It's gotten 3 OTA updates in the last 6 weeks or so, one of them was a major bug fix so the overall UI/software has been working better and faster too. That's all I've got
The following 3 users liked this post by signdetres:
AMIRZA786 (05-28-24), bitkahuna (05-28-24), bowser (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 03:05 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

[QUOTE=swajames;11730468]CR doesn't weight those kind of problems the same as they weight mechanical problems. It's in their FAQ.[/QUOT]
CR surveys are from their subscribers; hardly a statistically valid group. Sometimes the results have like 3 responses.
Reliability is poorly defined, if it is defined at all.
bitkahuna (05-28-24)
Old 05-28-24 | 03:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

CR is a joke. i still get the subscription someone ( ) signed me up for.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-28-24 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation