EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 02:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Hyundai, Kia EVs Charge The Fastest, Tesla Barely Makes It Into Top 10: Edmunds

How does an 868 miles/hour charging speed sound?

The speed at which an electric car charges can make or break a road trip, and in some cases, it can even make the difference between keeping an EV long-term and going back to combustion power.

That’s why some car manufacturers tout their EV’s ability to charge at higher and higher speeds, with some models on the market capable of drawing close to 300 kilowatts from a compatible charger.

But the kilowatts figure – as impressive as it might be in some cases – doesn’t tell the whole story, as an EV’s range is affected by other factors too, like its weight and efficiency. This is why Edmunds went on a different route with its new EV Charging Test, where 43 different battery-powered cars were tasked with doing their best at recharging their batteries in terms of miles per hour.

With this in mind, the 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 6 Limited RWD is the fastest-charging EV on the American market today, topping the list with an impressive charging rate of 868 miles/hour. More miles gained per each hour of charge means less time spent at the charger and more time on the road.

The 2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD is in second place with 769 miles/hour, followed by the all-wheel drive, dual-motor version of the Hyundai Ioniq 6 with 764 miles/hour. In fact, the top 10 list includes no fewer than six models from Hyundai Motor Group’s portfolio, including the Genesis Electrified G80, which is in eighth place with 588 miles/hour.

The fastest-charging Tesla, according to Edmunds’ methodology, is the 2023 Model 3 Long Range, which achieved a charging rate of 569 miles/hour. The next Tesla on the list is the 2021 Model Y Long Range with 20-inch wheels that sits in the 14th position with 538 miles per hour. The 2021 Model S Plaid is in 16th with 530 miles/hour.

Porsche and Mercedes-Benz managed to get in the top 10 list with the 2020 Taycan 4S, which is in fourth position with 690 miles/hour, while the EQS 450+ secured seventh place with 593 miles/hour.

The complete list follows below, but before you dive into the numbers, it’s worth noting how Edmunds produced the numbers you see. The calculation for miles per charging hour is carried out by dividing the average charging power (in kilowatts) by the Edmunds tested consumption figure (kilowatt-hours used for every hundred miles traveled, or kWh/100 miles) and then multiplying the result by 100 to arrive at the mi/hr units.

https://insideevs.com/news/696546/fa...tesla-porsche/
Old 11-16-23, 04:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Hmmm sounds a lot like Tesla.
ha, good analogy i'm sure amirza doesn't agree with, lol.

i find elon musk's bipolar ways a lot like steve jobs as well. fanatical, tyranical, but brilliant, tireless, and innovative through obsession.

if apple is working on a car as the rumors say. it's amazing to me they've kept details a secret. i guess there must be major legal threats to keep it secure.

Old 11-16-23, 05:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha, good analogy i'm sure amirza doesn't agree with, lol.

i find elon musk's bipolar ways a lot like steve jobs as well. fanatical, tyranical, but brilliant, tireless, and innovative through obsession.

if apple is working on a car as the rumors say. it's amazing to me they've kept details a secret. i guess there must be major legal threats to keep it secure.
I actually totally agree with that statement. I've used that analogy myself. I have a lot of respect for Apple, and I understand why they do things the way they do them. As far as ecosystem goes, it works for me with cars, just not computers and smartphones. I want to be able to customize my phone and computer the way "I" want to. I want to be able to buy a Nvidia shield and it to work with Android, Windows, or iOS, unlike Apple TV, which only works with Apple products.

As far as Tesla is concerned, you need tight integration with Tesla's ecosystem. I can afford to have my phone or computer crash, but not my car. When Tesla does updates, they don't have to worry about third parties, so they can update their products quickly

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-16-23 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-16-23, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
When Tesla does updates, they don't have to worry about third parties, so they can update their products quickly
while not a whole huge app store library, they certainly have 3rd party software to integrate and remain compatible with including google maps, youtube, that music streaming service (slacker?), etc.

regardless, android auto and apple carplay aren't going away and will become more deeply enabled to leverage hud, main gauge cluster, integration with safety features, etc.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-16-23)
Old 11-16-23, 09:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

while not a whole huge app store library, they certainly have 3rd party software to integrate and remain compatible with including google maps, youtube, that music streaming service (slacker?), etc.

regardless, android auto and apple carplay aren't going away and will become more deeply enabled to leverage hud, main gauge cluster, integration with safety features, etc.
Apple also has third party apps on their platform with strict guidelines they have to adhere to, and it's probably the same with third party apps running on Tesla's platform
Old 11-18-23, 03:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Still overpriced IMO

Porsche Taycan EVs Are Depreciating Like Crazy. Get A Screaming Deal On One Now

Today, buyers can secure secondhand Taycans in the $60,000 range

As Porsche’s bold foray into the EV world, the Taycan is a well-built high-performance sedan that just happens to be electric. In fact, the Taycan is unabashed in its electric status—so much so that the highest-end models feature the 'Turbo' moniker inscribed across the rear trunk. Its driving experience, build quality, and range (we’ll get to that later) are top-notch, but there’s an issue: new, it costs a small ransom when new.

But there’s a strategy to get around that $91,000 entry-level price, and that’s buying one used. Assuming the perspective of a prospective used car buyer, Porsche Taycans have become bargains, relatively speaking. While new Taycan buyers might go overboard in the buffet of options, these additional features don’t necessarily translate to proportionately higher used prices.

For instance, a 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo with 18,100 miles sold on Cars And Bids last month. Despite having an original MSRP of $191,900, the next owner picked it up for $100,000—47.8% depreciation in just over three years of ownership.

A different 2020 Taycan Turbo on the site with 22,800 miles had a similar significant price reduction. With an original MSRP of $175,250, the used example only retained $89,000 of its original value—a 49.2% reduction in value.

Your choices get even better on Cars.com. Here's one with just 20,747 miles for $66,500 or a 4S with under 30,000 miles for $68,995. Not bad, all things considered.

While higher-trim level cars typically lose more money than lower-trim ones, there are still deals to be had with entry-level Taycans. The rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive 4S Taycans are now available from the upper-$60,000 price range.

While they're still expensive, they are vastly cheaper than when they were new. But should you venture out and buy one of these?

Click here for more:
https://insideevs.com/features/69627...can-used-deal/
Old 11-18-23, 05:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As long as dealerships are involved, the consumer is just going to continue to get screwed. At least Hyundai is trying...

Here's How Hyundai Will Sell You A Car On Amazon

The Korean automaker has big plans for internet sales on everyone's favorite e-commerce site, but dealers are still involved

Starting next year, and depending on where you live, you'll be able to add a Hyundai Ioniq 5 to your usual cart full of home gadgets, books and watches on Amazon. And Hyundai Motor America CEO Randy Parker said the automaker has about 150 million reasons to give this plan a shot.

"They've got about 150 million Amazon Prime customers, right?", Parker said in an interview with InsideEVs at the Los Angeles Auto Show on Thursday. He added that many millions more in America alone visit the e-commerce megastore every month. "That's a huge audience to tap into. And so I think this is a really good partnership to try to revolutionize the industry."

That partnership will mean Hyundai shoppers will be able to use Amazon to search for Hyundai cars in their area – including gasoline cars, hybrids and its growing portfolio of electric vehicles like the Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6 and Kona EV – check out online with their preferred financing or payment options and then arrange delivery from a local dealership.

"If you want to add accessories, insurance, financing – it's an end-to-end car buying experience 100% on the platform," Parker said. "But if you really want to go kick the tires, you still have the option of going straight to the dealership."

And the "dealership" component of this is important, Parker said. "I don't want people to think this is going to be direct selling from the [automaker] to the to the consumer. It's not," he said. "It's based on the consumer's zip code. That will tie them to the closest Hyundai dealer. But to the consumer, it will be seamless, and that's what's what's what's most important."

After all, direct selling has become a hot-button issue in the car industry, especially as it moves toward electrification. While Tesla (and subsequently other EV startups like Lucid and Rivian) have always sold to buyers directly, the so-called "legacy" automakers do not have that luxury; they have franchise agreements with their networks of car dealers. And in most places those agreements are enshrined into law, making direct sales especially difficult in some places. In short, for all automakers but the startups, you generally have to buy a new car through your local dealer, and that's an industry that has long had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age.

What's more, dealers have long been accused of being resistant to the electric vehicle revolution – it means big capital investments into charging, more education for salespeople and buyers and potentially less revenue from parts and maintenance. That's probably not something Hyundai wants as it aggressively expands its EV lineup.

But Parker said the dealers are an important part of their process here, that going through Amazon is a kind of "bridge" between purely online direct sales and the dealer network Hyundai depends on. What's more, he said his dealers are actually excited about this; more of them have indicated they want to sign onto the program.

"The first phase is going to be a pilot, and then after that, hopefully we'll be able to open it up to all dealers," Parker said. "We're trying to make it easy for the customer to do business with us."

This is not the first time Hyundai has thought outside the box a bit on its sales tactics. Its Evolve+ program offers a month-to-month subscription service for certain EVs so that buyers can try the electric life for themselves a bit before committing to a longer ownership term.

Parker added that while some automakers seem to be easing off their once-ambitious EV plans amid concerns of uneven demand, that isn't the case at Hyundai. The automaker has actually reported strong EV sales every month – with 50% to 60% of buyers opting to lease the Ioniq models to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit loophole – and it's full speed ahead on its U.S. EV plant in Georgia. It also has more electric models coming, like the Ioniq 7 SUV.

"I've always also been a firm believer in 'who gets there first wins', and I don't want to be a follower," Parker said.

https://insideevs.com/news/696828/hy...on-sales-2024/
Old 11-18-23, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As long as dealerships are involved, the consumer is just going to continue to get screwed. At least Hyundai is trying..
not everyone gets the weasel treatment you initially got on your ioniq.

my top trim ioniq limited lease was similar money to y long range. yeah i had to push for that and the 'process' is still ridiculous but it didn't take long and the f&i guy didn't push anything.

but yeah, i'd prefer to buy direct or more straightforward purchase process.
AMIRZA786 (11-18-23)
Old 11-18-23, 07:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

not everyone gets the weasel treatment you initially got on your ioniq.

my top trim ioniq limited lease was similar money to y long range. yeah i had to push for that and the 'process' is still ridiculous but it didn't take long and the f&i guy didn't push anything.

but yeah, i'd prefer to buy direct or more straightforward purchase process.
I hate to be repetitive on this, but I should not have had to negotiate in the first place. Pricing was already advertised, yet I found myself negotiating. Than I was lied to and had to file a complaint to get the deal I was supposed to get in the first place, which was a gamble (filing the complaint).

If Hyundai ever goes to the direct sales model, I'll probably get another one
Mike728 (11-19-23)
Old 11-20-23, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

One of my friends moved to FL a year ago, he has a Rivian. He is in town and was at the office today, drove his Rivian up from FL, he let me drive it today. I loved it! Rode well even on the 23s, very quiet...very impressive...

He stopped 4 times to charge for 30 minutes each over 800 miles...not bad...
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (11-20-23), bitkahuna (11-20-23)
Old 11-20-23, 06:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
One of my friends moved to FL a year ago, he has a Rivian. He is in town and was at the office today, drove his Rivian up from FL, he let me drive it today. I loved it! Rode well even on the 23s, very quiet...very impressive...

They are really cool! If you haven't seen my review, check it out. I recently drove one. And 800 HP ain't no joke!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-20-23 at 07:33 PM.
SW17LS (11-20-23)
Old 11-20-23, 10:46 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

That’s quite a drive. He spent 2hrs charging. 🥴 I guess I’m impatient. 800 miles and I’m booking a flight.
Old 11-21-23, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
That’s quite a drive. He spent 2hrs charging. 🥴 I guess I’m impatient. 800 miles and I’m booking a flight.
agreed i'm not interested in driving 800mi. mind you, have you flown lately? ugh. then you have to deal with a rental car, parking at airport of your own car, etc.

that aside, even if you drove a gas car you'd likely be stopping 3 or more times for gas, food, bio breaks, etc.

my only concern with a long trip as a non-tesla owner is will there be working and available chargers where and when i need them.
thankfully, i don't have long trips planned.

my only long trip i do a couple of times a year is 265mi. to s. fl and there's a ton of chargers half way in orlando so i should be fine.
Old 11-21-23, 06:16 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Okay don't pizz all over me but I am verrrrrrry curious to see how the Superchargers are tomorrow, on the busiest travel day of the year.

There are 10 superchargers in Knoxville which is a pretty decent sized city, two of them at the dealership which are always used for their cars.

I40/75 merged together which goes through Knoxville are two of the busiest interstates, people are gonna need to charge.

We are going to stop and walk the dogs on the way up to NY at supercharger stations just to see if they're backed up, etc etc. Really curious to see how it goes on busy travel days.

Bit fwiw my family lives 800 miles away and I'm happy to do the drive, it's fine and actually sorta fun in the LX. Different strokes. I hate flying THAT much, dealing with it all, I'd rather just hop in my truck unless it's literally across country.

Last edited by AJT123; 11-21-23 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-21-23, 06:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

my only long trip i do a couple of times a year is 265mi. to s. fl and there's a ton of chargers half way in orlando so i should be fine.
We stayed in FL last year looking at retirement property. The one drive that stands out was from Ocala to Pompano Beach on the turnpike. It was ~$20 to go a little less than 300 miles. I really did like the many rest areas along the way, which I believe most had charging stations. We didn't own the Tesla then, so I didn't look that close at them. I was shocked that there's a state in the US with higher tolls than here in IL.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation