EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 08:55 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Personally with a PHEV I would not take up a charger overnight at a hotel when there are only a couple options. Thats rude, somebody with a full EV that needs a charge may come in and need that charger.

I did leave our PHEV plugged in at the airport, but there were hundreds of EV chargers in that garage
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed. the rav4 will take what, an hour to recharge the tiny battery?
Yep, maybe 1.5. At least go out and move it when it’s charged. At an office or a shopping center etc I think it’s fine to charge a PHEV but when traveling at a hotel, somebody absolutely would Roll in there expecting to be able to charge all night.

Look at this!! If you’re going to park there, at least plug in to the J1722 charger which is what I would be using. The other charger is a dedicated Tesla charger which the X is using. Let me guess, the gray model Y doesn’t have an adapter so they are taking up a spot without charging.

The Model X was plugged in overnight as I was last night. There’s another Model Y in the general area parking lot as well with no access to charge. Sucks if they have a J1722 adapter but can’t get to the charger because the gray Y that’s parked next to the charger doesn’t have one.

Takes me 2hrs from empty to charge and I am currently empty.

Not the end of the world having zero EV range.

Worst of both worlds 🙃

I’m currently plugged into a 110 outlet. Should be topped off 🔋 by morning.
Old 06-16-24, 04:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Personally with a PHEV I would not take up a charger overnight at a hotel when there are only a couple options. Thats rude, somebody with a full EV that needs a charge may come in and need that charger.
I did the week I had the Pacifica, but the hotel has four chargers. I stay there regularly, and the most cars I've ever seen charging simultaneously is two, plus most nights I wasn't getting back until close to 9, so not likely to be a big rush after me.
Old 06-16-24, 05:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I did the week I had the Pacifica, but the hotel has four chargers. I stay there regularly, and the most cars I've ever seen charging simultaneously is two, plus most nights I wasn't getting back until close to 9, so not likely to be a big rush after me.
Yeah if there are plenty, then sure. But most only have 1 or 2.
Old 06-16-24, 07:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

Look at this!! If you’re going to park there, at least plug in to the J1722 charger which is what I would be using. The other charger is a dedicated Tesla charger which the X is using. Let me guess, the gray model Y doesn’t have an adapter so they are taking up a spot without charging.

So you're saying if someone else takes up a spot when they shouldn't be, then it's ok to plug in a PHEV all night?🤔

Is that two wrongs = a right?
Old 06-16-24, 08:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
So you're saying if someone else takes up a spot when they shouldn't be, then it's ok to plug in a PHEV all night?🤔
So be honest, do you / would you go out and unplug & move your EV when you hit your target charge percentage in the middle of the night? Is that what you're saying the etiquette is?

I probably wouldn't in this circumstance, first come first serve.
Old 06-16-24, 08:21 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Is that two wrongs = a right?
I went out and checked after midnight and the gray Y was never plugged in using the J1772 charger (which I would use). So what’s the reason for it to be parked there? The X used the Tesla charger all night as they did the previous night as I used the J1772.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
So be honest, do you / would you go out and unplug & move your EV when you hit your target charge percentage in the middle of the night? Is that what you're saying the etiquette is?

Last night I plugged in to a 110 outlet and it took every bit of 11hrs to fully charge from a depleted battery. First come, but they never were served. Remained unplugged all night.
Old 06-16-24, 08:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

At a slow charger like ones in hotels, a close-to-depleted battery would need more than 8 hours to charge. I wouldn't need to go out in the middle of the night to unplug.

If my battery only needed a top off for an hour or two, I wouldn't bother plugging it in. Too much hassle to gain 10 to 15% charge.
Old 06-16-24, 10:01 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

At a slow charger like ones in hotels, a close-to-depleted battery would need more than 8 hours to charge. I wouldn't need to go out in the middle of the night to unplug.

If my battery only needed a top off for an hour or two, I wouldn't bother plugging it in. Too much hassle to gain 10 to 15% charge.

Over 14+hrs later the X is still plugged in. The 2 other Model Ys didn’t even get a chance to use the Tesla charger. I’m not sure about the speed of the Tesla charger that they’re using but the J1722 charger speed was sufficient.
Old 06-16-24, 10:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Over 14+hrs later the X is still plugged in. The 2 other Model Ys didn’t even get a chance to use the Tesla charger. I’m not sure about the speed of the Tesla charger that they’re using but the J1722 charger speed was sufficient.
Probably has 100 kWh battery pack. Could be also they are lazy and are not bothering to unplug.

Tesla destination chargers are between 9kW and 16kW
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 10:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

charging a tesla's large battery vs the rav4 phev's battery are entirely different situations. the tesla will need most of the night most likely. the rav4 at most a couple of hours, so yeah, going out after a couple of hours to disconnect a phev from a shared charger where there's only one available seems entirely reasonable and good etiquette.

I went out and checked after midnight and the gray Y was never plugged in using the J1772 charger (which I would use). So what’s the reason for it to be parked there?
agreed... gray Y was in the wrong for sure.
BayeauxLex (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 12:40 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
charging a tesla's large battery vs the rav4 phev's battery are entirely different situations. the tesla will need most of the night most likely. the rav4 at most a couple of hours, so yeah, going out after a couple of hours to disconnect a phev from a shared charger where there's only one available seems entirely reasonable and good etiquette.

agreed... gray Y was in the wrong for sure.
Sucks because the two other Teslas didn’t even get a chance to use the Tesla charger.
Old 06-16-24, 12:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Sucks because the two other Teslas didn’t even get a chance to use the Tesla charger.
When there is limited chargers, etiquette has to be followed by everyone, both EV and PHEV drivers
BayeauxLex (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 05:39 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Saw a Cybertruck and a new ultra red m3 performance today. Ultra red looks good, but the red calipers kinda clash with it. Or maybe they are the same color and it was the light. Just looked a little off. Other than that, it looked really good.
AMIRZA786 (06-16-24)
Old 06-16-24, 05:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Saw a Cybertruck and a new ultra red m3 performance today. Ultra red looks good, but the red calipers kinda clash with it. Or maybe they are the same color and it was the light. Just looked a little off. Other than that, it looked really good.
It wasn’t the light, the calipers are the normal bright red, not ultra red so they do clash a bit. It’s too bad you can’t option caliper colors between black or red. I would’ve liked red myself but black was the only color when I bought mine.
Bob04 (06-17-24)
Old 06-16-24, 05:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
It wasn’t the light, the calipers are the normal bright red, not ultra red so they do clash a bit. It’s too bad you can’t option caliper colors between black or red. I would’ve liked red myself but black was the only color when I bought mine.
There's always black spray paint and DIY 🤣. They go perfectly good with Ultra Grey, the color I'm getting

Unfortunately I didn't get a good pic of the front tires showing the red calipers, which looks better because of the bigger front brakes

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation