EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 07:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Okay don't pizz all over me but I am verrrrrrry curious to see how the Superchargers are tomorrow, on the busiest travel day of the year.

There are 10 superchargers in Knoxville which is a pretty decent sized city, two of them at the dealership which are always used for their cars.

I40/75 merged together which goes through Knoxville are two of the busiest interstates, people are gonna need to charge.

We are going to stop and walk the dogs on the way up to NY at supercharger stations just to see if they're backed up, etc etc. Really curious to see how it goes on busy travel days.

Bit fwiw my family lives 800 miles away and I'm happy to do the drive, it's fine and actually sorta fun in the LX. Different strokes. I hate flying THAT much, dealing with it all, I'd rather just hop in my truck unless it's literally across country.
I can tell you, they are going to be filled, at least here in California. If you leave early in the morning, like 7am you would be fine. BTW gas stations are also going to be filled, but the advantage is if you have a big enough tank, you don't have to stop.

This is definitely where an EV can be a bottleneck. The solution for me would be to leave the night before

EDIT

Tesla is offering free supercharging...if you travel between 8PM and 9AM during the Thanksgiving holiday. That would save me around $85. During Christmas, it's 7PM to 10AM.

I don't like travelling on Thanksgiving, gas car or EV. The last Thanksgiving trip I made to SoCal was 12 hours, at the time I took my IS350. Mostly stop and go traffic, my leg and hip was killing me. Our next trip will be the Christmas holiday, for sure we are either going to leave in the evening, or the day before

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-21-23 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 09:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
We stayed in FL last year looking at retirement property. The one drive that stands out was from Ocala to Pompano Beach on the turnpike. It was ~$20 to go a little less than 300 miles. I really did like the many rest areas along the way, which I believe most had charging stations. We didn't own the Tesla then, so I didn't look that close at them. I was shocked that there's a state in the US with higher tolls than here in IL.
My cousin's husband used to work in NYC, he commuted from Edison, NJ. He told me he paid $40 a day in tolls.

When I was in NJ in 2015, I drove from one of my relatives house in South Jersey to Newark, I must of hit 3 toll stops. I didn't realize you are supposed to get a ticket from each of the stops, so when I got to the main toll booth, they charged me the max toll. What a racket! They are talking about making freeways here toll roads, but they are going to face the biggest rebellion ever if they do that. They already have toll roads in SoCal, but you can choose to drive on them or not. They are free if have 3 passengers, but you need a transponder
Old 11-21-23, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
That’s quite a drive. He spent 2hrs charging. 🥴 I guess I’m impatient. 800 miles and I’m booking a flight.
Same, I would fly.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Bit fwiw my family lives 800 miles away and I'm happy to do the drive, it's fine and actually sorta fun in the LX. Different strokes. I hate flying THAT much, dealing with it all, I'd rather just hop in my truck unless it's literally across country.
You dont have a traditional job though, and no kids. Driving 800 miles is not fun with kids and when you have limited time to be gone.
BayeauxLex (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 12:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
and no kids. Driving 800 miles is not fun with kids and when you have limited time to be gone.
Tell me about it . When my kids were young and we would go to visit their grandparents in LA, we would leave at night so they would sleep through the drive. Otherwise it would be "ARE WE THERE YET?" every 5 minutes for the 6 and a half hour drive....

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-21-23 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
BayeauxLex (11-21-23), bitkahuna (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 12:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

I don't like travelling on Thanksgiving, gas car or EV. The last Thanksgiving trip I made to SoCal was 12 hours, at the time I took my IS350. Mostly stop and go traffic, my leg and hip was killing me. Our next trip will be the Christmas holiday, for sure we are either going to leave in the evening, or the day before
Tell me about it.

Smart move to make them free during off season. I used to make that 800mi drive at night.
AMIRZA786 (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

My wife and kids left for NJ this morning around 9:30, and shockingly had no traffic. I had to stay here to work but I will go up either tomorrow morning early, or Thursday morning early.

We used to always travel in the middle of the night but as I’ve gotten older I like to do that less and less
BayeauxLex (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 04:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed i'm not interested in driving 800mi. mind you, have you flown lately? ugh. then you have to deal with a rental car, parking at airport of your own car, etc.

that aside, even if you drove a gas car you'd likely be stopping 3 or more times for gas, food, bio breaks, etc.

my only concern with a long trip as a non-tesla owner is will there be working and available chargers where and when i need them.
thankfully, i don't have long trips planned.

my only long trip i do a couple of times a year is 265mi. to s. fl and there's a ton of chargers half way in orlando so i should be fine.
When I fly, after I land that’s when I rent a Tesla from Turo

In my hybrid cars, 800 mile trip, that’s 1 stop fuel wise. But again I prefer to fly if it’s that far.
Old 11-21-23, 04:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
When I fly, after I land that’s when I rent a Tesla from Turo
ha... never done turo but did rent a tesla on my last trip with a flight, through hertz.
BayeauxLex (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 05:08 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same, I would fly.

You dont have a traditional job though, and no kids. Driving 800 miles is not fun with kids and when you have limited time to be gone.
Tell me about it . When my kids were young and we would go to visit their grandparents in LA, we would leave at night so they would sleep through the drive. Otherwise it would be "ARE WE THERE YET?" every 5 minutes for the 6 and a half hour drive....

Couldn’t agree more
AMIRZA786 (11-21-23)
Old 11-21-23, 09:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Heading to Brooklyn Thursday morning for Thanksgiving. I really don’t love driving there and I always rent a car to go up there and I always pay for the rental insurance because who knows what will happen up there. No way I’m taking either of my cars up there. Plus there isn’t a close Tesla charging station near my sister’s place.
Old 11-21-23, 09:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Heading to Brooklyn Thursday morning for Thanksgiving. I really don’t love driving there and I always rent a car to go up there and I always pay for the rental insurance because who knows what will happen up there. No way I’m taking either of my cars up there. Plus there isn’t a close Tesla charging station near my sister’s place.
Every time I go to NY, it's Uber or taxi. No way I'm going to drive in NY. Especially NYC
Old 11-22-23, 03:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Oh if we had kids we'd definitely be traveling at night, lol.
Old 11-22-23, 03:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Every time I go to NY, it's Uber or taxi. No way I'm going to drive in NY. Especially NYC
that's a long uber/taxi ride from california.
JeffKeryk (11-22-23)
Old 11-22-23, 07:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's a long uber/taxi ride from california.
Lol yes I know 😂. I definitely wouldn't drive that far. 400 miles is my limit, than I fly.

As far as driving in NY, I would rather drive through the heart of Compton, which I've done many times. New York drivers+traffic equals no way
Old 11-22-23, 01:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Gotta admit, dealerships are consistent. Consistently crooked, that is

You'll Probably Still Get Hit With A Markup Buying Your Hyundai Through Amazon

A statement from the automaker pretty much confirms that there isn’t much they can do about dealer pricing.

Hyundai’s recent announcement that buyers will be able to purchase their vehicles through Amazon starting in 2024 was surprising but welcome. The dealer experience has seemed to get worse in the last few years and buying a car online might help matters. Just don’t expect pricing to get any better as Hyundai indirectly confirmed to Carscoops.

The confirmation came in about the most roundabout way possible. Apparently, someone eager to buy their Hyundai off Amazon tweeted on X about trying to purchase an Ioniq 6 they had configured. Once they gave the configuration they wanted to their local Hyundai dealer, they were hit with a $3,000 markup. They then ask “Explain to me the innovation here?” seemingly asking why Hyundai is bragging about this whole Amazon thing. I’ll explain it to you sir: you were using the wrong Hyundai/Amazon product.

The Twitter user was on Hyundai’s existing Amazon digital showroom platform called
 Hyundai Evolve Showroom Hyundai Evolve Showroom
. It currently allows you to browse and configure Hyundai vehicles in a digital showroom. Once you configure the vehicle you want, you can search local inventory, see pricing, estimate payments and contact a local dealer from there. You can’t buy a car though.

In a statement, Hyundai confirmed this to Carscoops when they showed them what the customer posted in their tweet.
The screenshots in that posting on X appear to be from the current digital showroom experience which links customers to dealer websites. This is different than the new customer sales experience we announced with Amazon last week at the LA Show.

The second part of the statement though pretty much says Hyundai won’t be able to do much about markups, essentially because automakers’ hands are more or less tied when it comes to telling dealers what they can and can’t charge. “It’s worth noting that even with this new program dealers will remain the sellers of record and they will also set the pricing for their vehicles,” the spokesperson added.

So what does this mean exactly? Even though you’ll have the convenience of being able to buy a car online from the comfort of your own home, dealers will still have the final say on pricing, which means you still might get hit with a markup. Hyundai has the right idea by partnering with Amazon; car buying has to change. The reality though is that dealers still have the power to fight that change.

Dealers will find a way to ruin car buying through Amazon. Pricing will either be misleading, dealers will work with the platform up until a certain point and then still try to get buyers to come in, or some dealers might not participate in Amazon car buying at all

https://jalopnik.com/youll-proabably...our-1851041225

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-22-23 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation