EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-24 | 03:38 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think it's 'largely political'. some of it may simply be demographics, in that i'm older than you and probably talk to more people nearer my age and many of them will likely never get an ev (very change resistant).
Correct. There's always the fringe that won't buy one because they don't want to be told what to buy, as there is the opposite fringe that can't wait to buy the latest tool of virtue signaling. But that's not most people. EV ownership is different from ICE, no matter how many people say it really isn't. Could a lot of people make it work? Sure. But it would involve a level of change and planning that they aren't comfortable with. Lots of reasons that have nothing to do with politics. Just the depreciation alone would be enough to scare off a lot of buyers.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24 | 05:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
Correct. There's always the fringe that won't buy one because they don't want to be told what to buy, as there is the opposite fringe that can't wait to buy the latest tool of virtue signaling. But that's not most people. EV ownership is different from ICE, no matter how many people say it really isn't. Could a lot of people make it work? Sure. But it would involve a level of change and planning that they aren't comfortable with. Lots of reasons that have nothing to do with politics. Just the depreciation alone would be enough to scare off a lot of buyers.
EV ownership is definitely different from ICE, like a flip phone is a different experience from a smartphone. I remember people who refused to switch telling me how they only have to charge every few days, while us smartphone users have to charge daily.

Yesterday I spent half the day driving my friends M4 competition. Amazing car, probably one of my top favorite cars. But if you gave me a choice between my Polestar or model Y, and the M4, it would be a no brainier for me. The M4 is only better in the sense that it's a $100k car, so it has better seats, better suspension, and more of a status symbol. My Polestar (and Model Y) is still smoother, quieter, and quicker off the line. It's also more efficient, doesn't need much maintenance and costs me under $50 a month to fuel it. If I ever bought a car like an M4, it would be a weekend car.

The limitation of the Polestar is only that it depends on non Tesla charging infrastructure if I were to ever travel in it, which is why I'm getting another Tesla, which doesn't have that limitation
Old 06-24-24 | 05:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

It helps to understand what a lot of us petrolheads liked about cars to begin with. The sounds, the mechanical aspect, etc. Gearheads. EV's are cool, they're fast, and they're almost certainly the future. There's just a tangible feel that they don't have.

It's probably easier to move on if your interest in cars was more on tech/luxury features or maybe visual styling. Those of us who like to hear and feel the powerband on our ICE engines, it's hard to give that up. Even if I know an M3P is going to gap my 540i. There's always going to be cars that can gap me.
Margate330 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24 | 05:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
It helps to understand what a lot of us petrolheads liked about cars to begin with. The sounds, the mechanical aspect, etc. Gearheads. EV's are cool, they're fast, and they're almost certainly the future. There's just a tangible feel that they don't have.

It's probably easier to move on if your interest in cars was more on tech/luxury features or maybe visual styling. Those of us who like to hear and feel the powerband on our ICE engines, it's hard to give that up. Even if I know an M3P is going to gap my 540i. There's always going to be cars that can gap me.
Remember, we are all enthusiasts here. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 56, so more than 30 years of driving all kinds of cars, so I know what you mean.... but that said just on a personal level, I'm ok with no longer hearing vroom vroom 🤣. But I get you brother
Old 06-24-24 | 07:04 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
EV ownership is definitely different from ICE, like a flip phone is a different experience from a smartphone. I remember people who refused to switch telling me how they only have to charge every few days, while us smartphone users have to charge daily.

Yesterday I spent half the day driving my friends M4 competition. Amazing car, probably one of my top favorite cars. But if you gave me a choice between my Polestar or model Y, and the M4, it would be a no brainier for me. The M4 is only better in the sense that it's a $100k car, so it has better seats, better suspension, and more of a status symbol. My Polestar (and Model Y) is still smoother, quieter, and quicker off the line. It's also more efficient, doesn't need much maintenance and costs me under $50 a month to fuel it. If I ever bought a car like an M4, it would be a weekend car.

The limitation of the Polestar is only that it depends on non Tesla charging infrastructure if I were to ever travel in it, which is why I'm getting another Tesla, which doesn't have that limitation
Your Y and Polestar are quicker than a M4 Competition? I don't think that is accurate.
Old 06-24-24 | 07:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Your Y and Polestar are quicker than a M4 Competition? I don't think that is accurate.
Off the line 0 to 80 my Polestar is faster, in a 30 MPH rolling race, It beats me. By the time it gets traction, I'm gone. Believe it
Old 06-24-24 | 07:29 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Off the line 0 to 80 my Polestar is faster, in a 30 MPH rolling race, It beats me. By the time it gets traction, I'm gone. Believe it
I've never driven the M4 Comp, but I'm seeing 2.8 sec 0-60 and 11.0 1/4 mile @ 125 mph. Your Y is getting smoked by that. Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with the Polestars. What does it run 0-60 and in the 1/4?
Old 06-24-24 | 07:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've never driven the M4 Comp, but I'm seeing 2.8 sec 0-60 and 11.0 1/4 mile @ 125 mph. Your Y is getting smoked by that. Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with the Polestars. What does it run 0-60 and in the 1/4?
The Y will get smoked for sure, I wasn't talking about the Y. The M4 Comp only gets 2.8 with a perfect launch (brake boost), heated wheels and prepped surface. The Polestar easily does 3.7 seconds without launching or prepped surfaces just by mashing the pedal. My Polestar only has 476 HP vs 504 HP for the M4, so M4 does a better quarter mile. A tune and M4 wins every time. But keep in mind Polestar is a $50k car vs $100k for the M4
Old 06-24-24 | 08:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

The M4 Competition comes in both AWD and RWD configurations. BMW usually sandbags a bit on its 0-60 times, but regardless, the RWD version doesn’t accelerate like the AWD version.
AMIRZA786 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24 | 08:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
The M4 Competition comes in both AWD and RWD configurations. BMW usually sandbags a bit on its 0-60 times, but regardless, the RWD version doesn’t accelerate like the AWD version.
Absolutely, forgot to mention that. My friends M4 is rwd, I could feel a slight delay when mashing the pedal. No such issue with the Polestar, so the M4 would be playing catch-up
Old 06-24-24 | 09:56 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

What he said. Being on track with Porsches, Corvettes and McLarens sometimes I find myself thinking how amazing they sound when chasing one or sometimes you may not see it but may hear one of them coming up behind

Remember, we are all enthusiasts here. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 56, so more than 30 years of driving all kinds of cars, so I know what you mean.... but that said just on a personal level, I'm ok with no longer hearing vroom vroom 🤣. But I get you brother
As I’ve gotten older I appreciate a quieter vehicle. I removed the aftermarket exhaust from my last truck because I grew tired of hearing it while towing. My track car has stockish exhaust.

My wife and I will hear an obnoxiously loud truck and watch it go nowhere fast and shake our head. 😆
AMIRZA786 (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24 | 10:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

So if they were running AWD vs AWD the M4C would likely be the winner
Old 06-24-24 | 10:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
What he said. Being on track with Porsches, Corvettes and McLarens sometimes I find myself thinking how amazing they sound when chasing one or sometimes you may not see it but may hear one of them coming up behind

As I’ve gotten older I appreciate a quieter vehicle. I removed the aftermarket exhaust from my last truck because I grew tired of hearing it while towing. My track car has stockish exhaust.

My wife and I will hear an obnoxiously loud truck and watch it go nowhere fast and shake our head. 😆
Oh man, you'll love the "fart cans" people put on cars out here. Imagine driving behind an old Civic with an eBay special hanging out the back. There's a guy I sometimes run into going to work who did a resonator delete with a crappy eBay exhaust on his Camry SE (must be between 2020 and 2022) and it just sounds God awful 😞. Especially when he floors it, I actually think it slows his car down.

I can still appreciate a great engineered exhaust with a deep growl that doesn't drone. The M4 'S exhaust is the perfect example of a great exhaust note. Notice I didn't say noise . I could live with that for my daily commute
BayeauxLex (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24 | 10:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So if they were running AWD vs AWD the M4C would likely be the winner
Which cars are you talking about? Vs the Polestar? If so, I would still have the slight edge off the line, but would probably lose. Rolling races I would 100 percent lose. Model 3 Performance I think would be a different story
Old 06-24-24 | 10:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

BTW if you haven't seen my post on the M4 Comp I drove this Sunday, you can check it out here. The actual review starts from post #50

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ion-rwd-8.html

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation