EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-23 | 06:58 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Had my first supercharger experience today! My wife and I took a 250 mi round trip today to visit family. I charged the Y to 99% and saw a range estimate of 319 mi before leaving. When we got to our destination, it showed 48% charge left after 125 mi's. That meant we needed to make a stop on the way back. We drove through the middle of farm country, so I wasn't expecting any clusters of charging stations which proved true. In hind sight, I should have just stopped and charged where we were. It's a pretty large town and had one close by, but in the wrong direction.

I used the Tesla nav to direct us home. It showed the closest charging station was about 100 miles away and said we would have a 9% charge when we got there. It was a route I didn't want to take, but I couldn't figure out how to change that, so we drove to a point where I could stop and use my phone for a better option. I found one on my preferred route, which was about the same distance away. We arrived there with 7% charge remaining. That was a little scary, but it was good to experience it. It will help me to plan better next trip we take somewhere.

The station was in a corner of a shopping center parking lot and had about 12 superchargers. They even had one in a place where you could pull forward into, which surprised me. There were a total of 2 other people there charging, so no issue with finding a spot. I parked, got out, pulled the cable to the car and pressed the button on it to open the charge door. It was as easy as it is at home to connect. I set the charge level to hit 50%. It took about 10 to 15 minutes, which I thought was great. We walked the dog while we were there, so that helped kill time. The cost (39c kWh) is 4x what it costs to charge at home, but well worth it for that speed. Overall a good first time experience.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mike728:
AMIRZA786 (11-23-23), bitkahuna (11-23-23), JeffKeryk (11-23-23)
Old 11-23-23 | 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
I charged the Y to 99% and saw a range estimate of 319 mi before leaving. When we got to our destination, it showed 48% charge left after 125 mi's.
congrats on the trip and great supercharger experience but this estimated range is way off?

with range estimate of 319 at 99%, and using ~50% of the charge in 125mi. range, doesn't that mean actual range is more like 250 and not 319!?

like has been suggested on here before though, best to go off % of charge, not mileage estimate.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
BayeauxLex (11-24-23), bowser (11-24-23)
Old 11-23-23 | 09:57 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Had my first supercharger experience today! My wife and I took a 250 mi round trip today to visit family. I charged the Y to 99% and saw a range estimate of 319 mi before leaving. When we got to our destination, it showed 48% charge left after 125 mi's. That meant we needed to make a stop on the way back. We drove through the middle of farm country, so I wasn't expecting any clusters of charging stations which proved true. In hind sight, I should have just stopped and charged where we were. It's a pretty large town and had one close by, but in the wrong direction.

I used the Tesla nav to direct us home. It showed the closest charging station was about 100 miles away and said we would have a 9% charge when we got there. It was a route I didn't want to take, but I couldn't figure out how to change that, so we drove to a point where I could stop and use my phone for a better option. I found one on my preferred route, which was about the same distance away. We arrived there with 7% charge remaining. That was a little scary, but it was good to experience it. It will help me to plan better next trip we take somewhere.

The station was in a corner of a shopping center parking lot and had about 12 superchargers. They even had one in a place where you could pull forward into, which surprised me. There were a total of 2 other people there charging, so no issue with finding a spot. I parked, got out, pulled the cable to the car and pressed the button on it to open the charge door. It was as easy as it is at home to connect. I set the charge level to hit 50%. It took about 10 to 15 minutes, which I thought was great. We walked the dog while we were there, so that helped kill time. The cost (39c kWh) is 4x what it costs to charge at home, but well worth it for that speed. Overall a good first time experience.
​​​​​Great feedback. I just follow the trip planner, it never lets me down. I've gone down as far as 9 percent. Range anxiety for me is a thing of the past. I don't even look at available miles, it's kind of meaningless and I just use it as a reference.

So had to take the Sienna, we were invited to a relative who lives about 70 miles from us. My niece and her college friend came with us, so no room in the Tesla. I had to re adjust, as the Sienna drives differently from my other cars

Old 11-24-23 | 06:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats on the trip and great supercharger experience but this estimated range is way off?

with range estimate of 319 at 99%, and using ~50% of the charge in 125mi. range, doesn't that mean actual range is more like 250 and not 319!?

like has been suggested on here before though, best to go off % of charge, not mileage estimate.
I wasn't expecting anywhere near the 300 mile estimate. Half the trip was on a 70 MPH highway, so closer to 80 MPH and it was around 30 degrees out when we left. Both of those variables impact range. When I first started out, it was showing I would arrive with only 37% left. It took about a half hour to finally settle around 50%, which was not too far off.
Old 11-24-23 | 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

range estimate is not just always wrong, it also has no idea where are you going with the car. Putting it into the nav will make it work fine.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-24-23)
Old 11-24-23 | 02:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
range estimate is not just always wrong, it also has no idea where are you going with the car. Putting it into the nav will make it work fine.
Absolutely, thank you for mentioning that. When using the mapping, it's about 99 percent accurate
Old 11-29-23 | 05:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

First really below freezing days and range hit on the Rivian is about 10% which is better than I thought it would be. Heater doesn't really kick on until ~72F so I've been keeping it on 70 with the seat heaters on low.
Old 11-29-23 | 06:03 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
First really below freezing days and range hit on the Rivian is about 10% which is better than I thought it would be. Heater doesn't really kick on until ~72F so I've been keeping it on 70 with the seat heaters on low.
Blast the heater like an ICE car and let us know what it does to the range, it would be interesting to see truthful, actual real world results.

You live in Jersey, I'm down in TN and it's 22 degrees right now lol.
BayeauxLex (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23 | 06:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Blast the heater like an ICE car and let us know what it does to the range, it would be interesting to see truthful, actual real world results.

similar to your ICE, depends on what are you doing with it. If it is a lot of short drives where it has to heat up all over again, it will be worse than one longer drive where it heats up and then maintains.
Been through 2 winter seasons with my M3P and it is just fine -10%-20% up depending on conditions, and I dont really care about consumption whatsoever - keep in mind it also has heat pump, largest problems were with initial EVs where there was no heat pump.

Old 11-29-23 | 06:19 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
similar to your ICE, depends on what are you doing with it. If it is a lot of short drives where it has to heat up all over again, it will be worse than one longer drive where it heats up and then maintains.
Been through 2 winter seasons with my M3P and it is just fine -10%-20% up depending on conditions, and I dont really care about consumption whatsoever - keep in mind it also has heat pump, largest problems were with initial EVs where there was no heat pump.
Heat in an ICE does nothing, it just blows heat "from the engine" and affects nothing.
BayeauxLex (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23 | 06:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Really starting to love the precondition feature on our Y. The cabin is nice and toasty when we get in it in the morning. It's parked in our garage, so not something we could do with our old vehicle.
Old 11-29-23 | 07:18 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Really starting to love the precondition feature on our Y. The cabin is nice and toasty when we get in it in the morning. It's parked in our garage, so not something we could do with our old vehicle.
I completely agree! The pre-conditioning feature is amazing. On the EQS, you can even have the seats prepared beforehand using the same function, along with the option to set different departure times. My thoughts are that Tesla offers something similar.
Old 11-29-23 | 07:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That is really nifty.
Old 11-29-23 | 07:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by AJT123

It was 25 on my drive in this morning. On my Ody, I have the heat set to 70 in the winter with the seat warmers on so I'm running it the same. Main difference is that when I hop in my Rivian, it's already a toasty 70 before I go into my garage.
Old 11-29-23 | 07:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As I'm writing this and getting ready for work, my Y is preconditioning the battery, warming the cab and defogging the windows

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation